• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Western comics.
11 11

2,257 posts in this topic

2250002564_6f8c47c981_b.jpg

And Sonny liked the Lone Ranger. His radio show was broadcast for a long time in the Detroit area.

Clayton Moore, from the TV show, toured the country for years after the show's demise and he was as tough as nails.

Edited by BB-Gun

The B-Bar-B's are new to my list, look like fun reads. I liked watching the Lone Ranger reruns as a kid but am not familiar with Red Ryder except seeing a comic pictured here and there. I'll get a few and see how I like them. Thanks for the posts.

These Western threads seem to die off pretty fast. I still have a few covers and splash pages to show. Here is nice splash which seems to combine Westerns and Horror.

2650669019_f48537cea1_b.jpg

4599159919_a6e5aaa696_b.jpg

Black Diamond covers by Biro remind me of Crime does not Pay which remind me of Timely/Atlas Westerns.

Black Diamond had Bing Bang Buster by Wolvertoon which is great.

4599159809_4739c438c1_b.jpg

There were some pretty good actors in those TV westerns.

4599776880_61aa03742e_b.jpg

And a lot of good actresses played Annie Oakley.

4599159865_61b3819f27_b.jpg

and sometimes the horse was the star.

4599159943_d0a8d7eca2_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

Thanks BB-Gun. I especially like the cover to Two-Gun Kid 9.

Should mention again the work that Frazetta did for Magazine Enterprises. Especially liked his White Indian stories.

4600218064_3d7bc93c04_b.jpg

Good grief, what`s going on with a crappy unloved title like Lone Ranger? Prices exploded in last week`s Heritage weekly auction! :pullhair:

I had to spend way more than I had expected to get this (and probably wouldn`t have gone that high if it didn`t have an old label):

LoneRanger3.jpg

The Dan Brand stories were reprinted in White Indian, and as Frazetta didn't do the covers, they are pretty affordable considering the contents are all Frazetta - usually less than guide.

There were some pretty good actors in those TV westerns.

and sometimes the horse was the star.

4599159943_d0a8d7eca2_b.jpg

John Hart said in an interview that Silver liked him a lot more than Clayton. Jay just liked everybody.

bb

Good grief, what`s going on with a crappy unloved title like Lone Ranger? Prices exploded in last week`s Heritage weekly auction! :pullhair:

I had to spend way more than I had expected to get this (and probably wouldn`t have gone that high if it didn`t have an old label):

LoneRanger3.jpg

Isn't there a Johnny Depp movie coming out on the Lone Ranger? Maybe this might be helping boost prices?

Isn't there a Johnny Depp movie coming out on the Lone Ranger? Maybe this might be helping boost prices?

First I've heard of that, although on the other hand I don't really follow movie news.

In any event, the Lone Ranger is associated with other forms of media, not comic books, so I don't think Lone Ranger comics would run up as a result of a LR movie. Just like if a new Tarzan movie came out with Avatar types of box office numbers, I can't imagine it would affect Tarzan comic prices at all.

LoneRanger3.jpg

I heard he was going to play Tonto. Sounds like a good start. The last Lone Ranger movie was pretty weak. Horse opera has to be something special before the kids will lay down their money. Nothing recent has been as good as Silverado and Dances with Wolves as far as I am concerned. But I still think Red River was one of the top 10 movies ever made.