• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Major transaction let-down. Need advice!
3 3

1,251 posts in this topic

Well let me first start off by saying that I am posting this for a local friend of mine. Actually, he's my best friend in the hobby. My partner in crime and he wanted me to stand behind him and put this into words as he's newer on the forum and not the best with words. Basically, he is very upset and frustrated and figured it would be better if I helped out and posted this for him...which I am more than happy to help a friend out.

I will not be using names as the person in question is a very reputable member of the community and we don't want to jump the gun and hurt his rep...simply stated, we're just looking for advice and to see if my friend got screwed or not; I believe he did, otherwise I wouldn't put myself out there like this to help out. Since he's my best friend in the hobby, this effects me just as much in a way.

Well I'll try and explain this short. My friend's HOLY GRAIL is to own a pre-robin Detective comics. He's realistic though and realizes they're very rare, extremely high demand, and very expensive. He figured it's still reasonable to hunt down a Batman cover as it's possible minus a 29 or 31, etc.

So to his surprise after searching what seemed like forever, he found a member here with a Tec 37, the price was right, and they agreed to a deal! I've never seen him SO happy to score a book. This was like a dream to snag a tec 37.

Now while the price seemed a tad low, both parties were in complete agreement. My friend made a down payment thru paypal of a 1/3rd of the asking price. They agreed that the final cost would be paid within a month. In the meantime, my friend was working his butt off doing overtime at his job, selling a couple books locally, and really trying his best to get this extra money together because he knew he might not get a chance like this again.

So, with all this hard work and excitement building, he told the seller that he would finish paying it ASAP within a week or two.

We don't live too far from the seller, about 4 hours, so we were going to take a Saturday road trip to go pick it up and pay the rest. We thought that would be a lot of fun.

So a weekend comes and goes and the seller tells him that he was just too busy to do it this weekend.

This coming Saturday we were hoping to pick it up.....

UNTIL WAIT...There's a problem. The seller tells my friend that there was a problem with his grade on the book that he didn't notice, and he refunded my friend the money thru paypal.

Now frantically, my buddy PMs him and tells him he's seen the book, DOES NOT CARE if it's a tad lower than previously thought, and still wants it. My friend is not the type of person that goes crazy about grading.

Anyway big let down....the book that seemed too good to be true was gone and the seller is not replying to his PMs or emails.

My friend is just so disgusted right now. I feel bad as well..as I told my buddy that this seller is very respected and reputable (which he is and still is as far as I am concerned).

Now here comes the kicker...We now see another forum member with a picture of the book in his signature. I assume he made an offer a lot more than my buddy was paying and bought the book right from under him.

What really kills my friend is that if the seller told him he needed more money, he would of paid it no problem! But instead, the seller simply chose to refund his deposit and ignore his PMs.

We're basically asking what should be done if anything? My friend is a newer member here so he doesn't believe anyone, besides myself, would take his side or even believe his story.

We don't want to out the seller just yet as we believe this should give him ample time to PM my friend and explain what happened.

Seeing that another member bought it from under him was just the final straw that really upset my friend.

I think this is a pure case of a holy grail being lost by no fault of your own. My friend is so upset with the hobby right now and I wish something could be done as I don't believe this is fair.

Not looking for a theoretical discussing, just advice and what everyone thinks is ethical in relation to comic book dealing manners.

Thank you for reading and I apologize for being so long winded. rantrant

So the seller just refunded his deposit and is ignoring him? If that's the case then have your buddy move on and find another detective elsewhere,in the meantime, tell him to keep saving his $$.
I agree,your friend needs to move on and save some $$$$

Make sure the seller has had ample time to respond to you (and that he has been active on the boards - you don't want to bash someone on vacation), but if they can't or won't give a satisfactory explanation, outing seems appropriate. Also, be sure that the book you think is the same really is. I would not want to get involved with time payments where the seller feels he can continue to try to get a better price until I make the final payment.

In my opinion, I would send the seller a final pm clearly specifying an explanation of the events are warranted. i.e How did another board member end up with the book?

If they do not reply after having read the pm, go ahead and post who it was..... providing the above description is 100% how the transaction occured.

A deal is a deal!!!!

Problem is, this is not a easy book to find. It's not like a Silver age marvel key where as long as you have the money the book is yours.

My friend Matt, will chime in after he sorts things out.

He simply wants an explanation. I always thought a deal was a deal.

What I posted is ALL true and detailed as I was talking to Matt every single day and was prepared to make the drive with him.

I am NOT Trey Cannon. When I tell a story it's true.

does the new buyer know that the book was on hold? i couldn't knowingly derail another guy's deal? as far as i'm concerned, the book had a deposit placed on it, and is on hold until the buyer backs out... given the new info.

I can confirm that the details for the above transaction is true. Nothing made up..but it is still a bunch of bull IMO
Well,least we know the story is true.

The seller should of have stuck with the deal he made with your friend.

A deal is a deal as I always say.