• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Info Wanted on Whitman's The Black Hole Disney adaptation issues 5 & 6

28 posts in this topic

Wow. Knew nothing about this and checked out the link to the youtube ending video given above.

Man, am I glad I missed this movie. Yuck big time.

Give me Attack of the Killer Tomato's or Plan 9 From Outer Space over this anytime.

Edited by conditionfreak

The Black Hole newspaper adaption’s by Jack Kirby are worth the hunt and are not impossible to find, pages come of ebay semi regular, though prices have been steadily rising and I’ve never seen a full set of the 26 for sale.

However there are other avenues, Disney reprinted 6 of the series in Comic Zone Fall 2007 (but sadly cancelled the magazine before printing anymore!), at the time it was the French who got a full reprinted collected together in book form, so if you are just interested in the art, or can read French, ebay france would be your best bet, only downside is that France seemingly had more black hole books published than anywhere else and for the life of me i cannot remember which cover is the one for the Kirby comics, (it’s in my Black Hole collection somewhere i will try and look it out!)

Hope that helps, now for those ribbing the movie itself all I can say is SACRILGE!

Wow. Knew nothing about this and checked out the link to the youtube ending video given above.

Man, am I glad I missed this movie. Yuck big time.

Give me Attack of the Killer Tomato's or Plan 9 From Outer Space over this anytime.

If you really want to torture yourself, check out these horror films:

Dracula vs. Frankenstein

The Thing with Two Heads

The Incredible Two-Headed Transplant

Sssssss

The Incredible Melting Man

Night of the Lepus

The Black Hole newspaper adaption’s by Jack Kirby are worth the hunt and are not impossible to find, pages come of ebay semi regular, though prices have been steadily rising and I’ve never seen a full set of the 26 for sale.

However there are other avenues, Disney reprinted 6 of the series in Comic Zone Fall 2007 (but sadly cancelled the magazine before printing anymore!), at the time it was the French who got a full reprinted collected together in book form, so if you are just interested in the art, or can read French, ebay france would be your best bet, only downside is that France seemingly had more black hole books published than anywhere else and for the life of me i cannot remember which cover is the one for the Kirby comics, (it’s in my Black Hole collection somewhere i will try and look it out!)

Hope that helps, now for those ribbing the movie itself all I can say is SACRILGE!

Thanks for the info!

On 5/3/2010 at 7:05 AM, HugoDeVries said:

I’m a big fan of the underrated Disney sci-fi movie The Black Hole and while i collect a range of merchandise from it I’m particularly interested in the comic book series, even lucky enough to own art from it,

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=74628

Now here’s my question has anyone ever seen or own an English language copy of issue 5 and 6 of the comic???????

The comic was published around the world with many variations and over the years i found out a range of things,

Publicity material for the film states that 6 issues were planned, however they were published in many versions internationally and the 6 issues have varying rarity.

The first three issues very common as they were pre-packed together. The first two issues adapted the movie (also published together as Disney Showcase issue 54).

The art for the movie adaption has several variations; in the published US comic many of the characters faces are notably different and cartoony from the movie characters, especially Anthony Perkins Dr Durant and Ernest Borgnines Harry Booth. The original art pages for the series had much more detailed and movie accurate faces however they were altered e.g. Durant given glasses and a moustache etc, probably for licensing reasons. The UK movie magazine is different again with redrawn art and rearranged panels, with most pages set out differently and Durant US comic losing his moustache.

The series then continued as Beyond the Black Hole, with the crew’s adventures through the Black Hole, while the pre-packed issue 3 is very common issues 4, 5 and 6 are not.

Issue 4 is the infamous US issue whose rarity was highlighted in an Overstreet guide article, which estimated around 200 copies existed, unlikely given the frequency of copies appearing for sale (1 or 2 appear each year on ebay, though a decent copy still fetches around $100). Its rarity is likely due to the commercial failure of the film and also that issue being late published due to delays with the cover artwork, (notation on the back of the original cover art). The issue was published in other languages around the world, (as were most issues) with South America having a version with the same cover that’s even harder to find.

Issue 5 and 6 – merchandising brochures for the film stated that Whitman planned to publish 6 issues in the US. Instead the stories were published as part of the German comic series. It lasted for 3 issues, each double length (issue 1 has the movie adaption; issue 2 has the US issues3&4 while issue 3 has unreleased issues 5&6). These were not drawn solely for the German market, as the art style and story matches and continues the US one (it concludes their adventures in the alternate universe, meeting Kate's father who Max kills and the 2nd death of Hans who turns out to be a robot!).

Now does anyone know of ANY English language versions of issue 5 & 6???, have ANY foreign language issues???? own ANY original art from the series????

Basically any Black Hole information is appreciated...now just don’t get me started on the animation series!!!

Belevie it or not I have issues 5 and 6 in german

When I get the chance I'm gonna Scanlation the whole issue 

It really completes the comic series 

After issue 4

I posted two pics of the pages I own from issue #6  (you can see them on page 1 of this thread) and found out a couple of weeks ago that a buddy has an animation cell from a Black Hole educational film.

Edited by bellrules

On 6/25/2018 at 10:21 AM, Dementedderek said:

Belevie it or not I have issues 5 and 6 in german

When I get the chance I'm gonna Scanlation the whole issue 

It really completes the comic series 

After issue 4

Would love to see the scans of 5 and 6. I never knew the series continued beyond issue 4.