• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

10 to get graded (Part 2) posted by Tnerb

1 post in this topic

The second five

If you read part one you already know my fist five, this is my second five to bring to Wizard World 2010 since CGC will be doing on-site grading there. If there is anyone in Philadelphia reading this and never went to get their books graded, i recommend it, quick, easy and reasonably priced.

With the convention slowly creeping in and the decision to bring 10 books for encapsulation solidified in my mind I wondered what kind of books I should bring. I decided on the ones I wanted to keep and help my registry points. Not to mention one of my favorite most cherished books in my collection. The first five were in no particular order. These five are the same with the exception of the last one. That one being my most cherished comic book.

My fist book of this grouping is X-Men #134 from the original series. It is probably one of the nice covers I have from the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix story lines. The X-men are squaring off against the Hellfire Club and Dark Phoenix looks like she really does not care who wins. I purchased this book years ago (should I say decades) at my favorite comic book shop. To be honest I am not sure how I still have this in the condition I do. I have to admit the book looks great and I would have to guess on at least a 9.4. Of course my Amazing Spider-Man winded up being a 9.2 and I thought that was a 9.4 so my final guess is a 9.2

My next book is also from the first series of X-men. #52 has Eric the Red decimating the X-men. This silver age book has solid covers with minor spine creases. The corners look great to me with the tiniest bit of blunting in the upper left hand corner. It was one of those books that I placed in a Mylar bag almost right away. I would love a Near Mint grade but to be honest this looks like a Very Fine book. I am saying an 8.0

The third book is from my favorite series the New Mutants, number 54. It is one of the nicer books I have before the Liefeld era. They have their new costumes and Cannonball is playing his favorite sport: Bowling. The black background gives the color in the foreground vibrancy. The spine is sharp and with using my eyes only looks free of any spine stress. This is one of those books I have that makes me wish I kept all my books like this, but unfortunately when I was younger I was all about the quantity of my collection and not the quality (even if I did want the best condition possible, it usually meant back issues not current ones). My hope for this book is a 9.8 but I will guess a 9.6.

Another silver age book I am picking is Sub Mariner #38. This book is from my before collection days. This is not the one I read over and over again as a kid but one I purchased to have as a better grade. This is probably one of the least likely books I am going to get graded. I should really get my original one graded but this looks to good to pass up. Dare I say if it gets a high grade will I sell it? I do not know. I am not good at grading Silver age Books, let alone any books. Just for the fact I am just not sure. I would guess an 8.0 because it is aged. But it does look better than the X-Men 52. That would leave me as a low ball 8.5. Should I go out on a limb and say a 9. Why not, a 9.0 it is.

And now for my absolute priced possession, if you have been reading my journals I am pretty sure you have guessed by now, and I do wish it was a Daredevil #1 but that would still not be my most cherished book. That distinction belongs to New Mutants #15, because that is the book that started it all. It is a very well read book. The inside paged are discolored, the corners are blunted, and the spine is riddled with stress lines; creases on the cover as well as so many other flaws from my constant readings. I would be lucky this book receives a 5. So I will guess a 4.0 for the first book of my collection.

Those are my ten with the possibility of an eleventh. Book number eleven will be a last minute addition. It will all depend on what I spend at the show on the first day. Not to mention I have fifty books sitting aside to bring for a prescreening, which I will list at another time. Wish me luck.

Thanks for reading

Tnerb