• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
42 42

9,387 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Ltpink2002 said:

Good looking book even with Newton rings.

FantasticFour01.5.1.jpg

FantasticFour05.4.1.jpg

DetectiveComics168.1_1.jpg

Are those freshly graded? Subbed by you? And does only the FF #1 have the rings? It looks like it's the only one  :wishluck:

Oh and Major CONGRATS!!! :whatthe:

On 8/23/2018 at 10:15 AM, Deanokeeno said:

Thanks Not a Clone.

Yep it's lovely, it's a 3.5 at best as it has a few issues/creases at the bottom. It's the first pickup in my mission to get a nice little early FF run together. Bagged the #3 and just picked up #2 this week as well, both RAW. 

Around 6 years or so ago, I did my Spider-man run, Hulk etc and secured up most of the key early 60s Marvel keys and number 1s in CGC mid grades. But to be honest that's what turned me off for a while as I got bored of looking at these incredible comics though a holder. It's like having a Ferrari in your garage. Wonderful, but after staring at it through a glass wall you want to drive the thing and get the full experience. - I could crack the slabs but I'm not brave enough to crack my FF1, AF15, Hulk 1 etc.

When I got this FF #3 the thrill of (carefully) handling it, smelling it and actually reading the damn thing - adverts and all - was a simply lovely experience. One that I don't get when a slab arrives.

So this time round I have set myself a little rule of 'Under a Grand it's Raw'. If it's over Grand then It will need to be in a slab for the restoration checks etc.

But rules are meant to be broken ;-)

Crack out those big keys and enjoy them raw. I loved handling my AF15 before I sent it off to have Stan sign it. The experience of the real comics are worth it for true collectors. I didn't collect as an investment, it was the experience for me.

If you have to get them regraded, maybe one will jump a grade, and pay for the grading costs. Look them over closely, if one or two might have a chance, I'd pop them all out and enjoy them until you are ready to sell.

PICT2729.JPG

PICT2725.JPG

Edited by Peter Loves Gwen

Thanks for the advice. Thinking about it.

In the meantime, Wow that's some AF15. Puts my 4.5 to shame. I have never seen inner pages so clean. Looks like it came off the presses yesterday. Congrats on such a fine copy.

On 8/25/2018 at 2:24 PM, Ltpink2002 said:

Good looking book even with Newton rings.

FantasticFour01.5.1.jpg

FantasticFour05.4.1.jpg

On 8/25/2018 at 2:24 PM, Ltpink2002 said:

DetectiveComics168.1_1.jpg

Are you F****** kidding me with this Detective 168 ?!?!?! 

I am having a major temper tantrum right now.....you can't see it, but trust me...it's not pretty......

:jokealert:

Congrats on a really tough book...

once i hitched my wagon to marvel in '64, i had very little to do with d.c. titles.  however, i did like metamorpho when he debuted, and i've put together his first b&b books and the early books from his own title.  the other i continued to dig was the doom patrol.  the other night i couldn't say no to these pretty mass copies.

mga81.jpg

mga83.jpg

mga84.jpg

2 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

once i hitched my wagon to marvel in '64, i had very little to do with d.c. titles.  however, i did like metamorpho when he debuted, and i've put together his first b&b books and the early books from his own title.  the other i continued to dig was the doom patrol.  the other night i couldn't say no to these pretty mass copies.

mga81.jpg

mga83.jpg

mga84.jpg

those covers are just great looking.

On 8/30/2018 at 10:17 AM, Straw-Man said:

and this.  i'm a little embarrassed to have a d.c. gorilla cover, but it is the first of their own title...

dp86.jpg

nice copy! is that new?  i bid on one of the MGAs but i already have slabbed copies of them all except 85. i've got the Cleveland copy of that one, albeit raw.

here's my 86;

DP_86.jpg