• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
42 42

9,387 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

:o^^ Story? CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

The moment I saw this 5.0 I fell in love :luhv:  It was everything I could ever want in a copy.  Thankfully I was fortunate enough to be able to sell my undercopy to a great boardie as well as a bunch of early ASMs through various venues to make this upgrade happen.  Now I have this 5.0W to pair with my ASM1 (same grade and pq) and couldn’t be happier:cloud9:

9 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

unreal! just a gorgeous copy and very tough white pages to boot! dont sleep with it under your pillow or you might crack the case! congratulations! 

That made me laugh out loud. Thanks Alex (thumbsu

48 minutes ago, DST said:

The moment I saw this 5.0 I fell in love :luhv:  It was everything I could ever want in a copy.  Thankfully I was fortunate enough to be able to sell my undercopy to a great boardie as well as a bunch of early ASMs through various venues to make this upgrade happen.  Now I have this 5.0W to pair with my ASM1 (same grade and pq) and couldn’t be happier:cloud9:

Sounds like a match made in heaven! :cloud9:

It cost more to encapsulate than it was worth, but this is the oldest comic I have that I can remember buying off a supermarket spinner rack as a boy.

I missed the first broadcasts of Spider-Man and Fantastic Four because the broadcast time published in this comic book was different than the actual broadcast in my area.

After these shows and Marvel Super Heroes TV shows I was hooked on comics forever.

IMG_20190311_154817569.jpg

4 minutes ago, David Stager said:

It cost more to encapsulate than it was worth, but this is the oldest comic I have that I can remember buying off a supermarket spinner rack as a boy.

I missed the first broadcasts of Spider-Man and Fantastic Four because the broadcast time published in this comic book was different than the actual broadcast in my area.

After these shows and Marvel Super Heroes TV shows I was hooked on comics forever.

Congratulations on the memories though :) sounds like a ^^ 

1 hour ago, David Stager said:

I wasn't even aware this book existed!  Now I have to learn more.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, David Stager said:

Awesome to see someone post a comic they got when they were young. The comics I have from my youth are most important to me- more important than the GA, SA, and BA keys in my collection. The memories of my youth tucked away in the pages of these paper made time machines are resurrected each time I open a book and read through the pages. Memories of the newsstand where I bought the book and the time I took my newest books home. These are the books that matter as we grow older and more distant from our younger years and a world that once was. 

22 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

Awesome to see someone post a comic they got when they were young. The comics I have from my youth are most important to me- more important than the GA, SA, and BA keys in my collection. The memories of my youth tucked away in the pages of these paper made time machines are resurrected each time I open a book and read through the pages. Memories of the newsstand where I bought the book and the time I took my newest books home. These are the books that matter as we grow older and more distant from our younger years and a world that once was. 

I have most of my comics from boyhood and the ones I've had graded are all in the 4.0 - 6.0 range.  I sure wish I'd kept them in perfect condition, but I would have never even thought to do so way back them.  I'm just glad they survived.  All my things were thrown away or stolen when I was overseas in military service, but my comics survived locked in the trunk of a junker Rambler parked in the side yard of my childhood home.  No boxes or bags, just stacked in piles.  They didn't get wet or deteriorate in any way I could tell.  Only as an adult did I bag and box them up and only now am I encapsulating a few good ones.  I already posted some pictures of my key comics defaced with Dymo labels and well worn and read dozens of times.  You really had to return a lot of pop bottles to buy your own comics as a kid.

2 hours ago, oglelo said:

20190312_143259.jpg

20190312_143307.jpg

Honest question, no intention to offend ... but what's the point of certifying a "cover only" book if CGC isn't going to assess the condition of the cover?  I suppose there's some value in knowing the cover is genuine, particularly on a key book like this one, but do you feel getting it slabbed enhances its value enough to justify the cost?