• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
43 43

9,432 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

A few pick-ups from the last couple months...I seem to collect too many genre's...or too many covers from too many genre's...

That’s a common problem in collecting. 

Enjoy it cuz’ there’s no cure once you start...

On 4/12/2019 at 5:48 PM, Gnasher said:

Mr Postman knocked once with this today...a VGish 130

So this is where you sneak off too...Bad dog! There's some nice comics there that you posted, I really like the Unexpected titles they have some nice covers.:golfclap: Tell me this with not being into the Archie comics, who deserves Archie, Betty or Veronica or is it secretly Jughead all these years?:bigsmile:  

On 4/7/2019 at 4:32 PM, CycleGirl said:

It's almost embarrassing, I just walked down to the box and found another delivery from the postman that came in this weekend! I seem to collect in streaks. This was purchased from AlphaOmega here on the boards! Kudos!

batman-181-65.thumb.jpg.1e9db7f319d38dcca5d88139f44fd564.jpg

very nice pickup.

9 hours ago, tv horror said:

So this is where you sneak off too...Bad dog! There's some nice comics there that you posted, I really like the Unexpected titles they have some nice covers.:golfclap: Tell me this with not being into the Archie comics, who deserves Archie, Betty or Veronica or is it secretly Jughead all these years?:bigsmile:  

I couldn't tell you Maurice, these I the first I ever bought, plus I haven't even got round to reading them yet.... lol

Beautiful copy.  What a great Romita cover.  I can see why this is such a desirable book.  We need a thread of best silver age covers.  You should start it with that gorgeous copy of Amazing Spider-Man #70.  I'm always reluctant to encapsulate anything other than a key issue.  There are some great frames available now with full UV protection and beautiful covers can be showcased very nicely.  Of course I say this because my old comics are not in such pristine condition, but I think they are still suitable for display.  I actually have a very clean copy of Amazing Spider-Man #28 - the Ditko cover with Molten Man and lots of black.  I'll add that one in the best covers thread, I think.

18 hours ago, David Stager said:

Beautiful copy.  What a great Romita cover.  I can see why this is such a desirable book.  We need a thread of best silver age covers.  You should start it with that gorgeous copy of Amazing Spider-Man #70.  I'm always reluctant to encapsulate anything other than a key issue.  There are some great frames available now with full UV protection and beautiful covers can be showcased very nicely.  Of course I say this because my old comics are not in such pristine condition, but I think they are still suitable for display.  I actually have a very clean copy of Amazing Spider-Man #28 - the Ditko cover with Molten Man and lots of black.  I'll add that one in the best covers thread, I think.

Thanks man! I don't know if it's specific with this issue but there seem to be more high grade cream to off white or just off white copies than other ASMs from its time? Noticed by skimming down the GPA sold list. Maybe it's just a coincidence? Have you thought of submitting the 28? 

There's already a thread here on classic SA covers that was dug some pages back. I'll post this again in new holder in the SA spider-man collecting thread 

9 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Thanks man! I don't know if it's specific with this issue but there seem to be more high grade cream to off white or just off white copies than other ASMs from its time? Noticed by skimming down the GPA sold list. Maybe it's just a coincidence? Have you thought of submitting the 28? 

There's already a thread here on classic SA covers that was dug some pages back. I'll post this again in new holder in the SA spider-man collecting thread 

I don't want to submit the ASM 28 after reading the grader's notes on the keys I've graded.  Even a slight rounding on the corners or a tiny color break on the spine or a spot of dirt on the back cover is enough to degrade a book down to a 6 and that's not valuable.  It's better to invest in books already graded if you desire the encapsulated ones.

All the comics I've had graded were my own childhood comics and I wanted to preserve them.  My wife can sell them when I'm dead.  They aren't worth so much money wise, but as personal keepsakes.

On 4/18/2019 at 7:25 AM, Gnasher said:

OK, I'm in the right thread now... lol

Yesterday.....

I like to think this very copy was the inspiration for the New 52 series... ;)

78a65d2476d710319ec56be2d06fea52.jpg

Today......

They all have their faults but present well.....

e05046367f6f658195bfa0415f857b5b.jpg

d9df34e367ce4a7be5c0004ec5cd1f70.jpg

d011b4e365759c0bfc65b9bcfebbfcb4.jpg

cad55bc15afeaffc8f81ff4c4a586c09.jpg

Gorgeous books. I don’t think Carmine Infantino ever produced a cover that was less than excellent.

I was thrilled to find an autographed copy of “The Amazing World of Carmine Infantino” at my LCS for 10 bucks last week.

4 hours ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Here's my latest acquisition, Showcase #38. This completes my Metal Men run: Showcase #37 - #40, Metal Men #1 - #56. Thanks to Collin, aka @Comicdey for helping me out!

Joe

SC38.jpg

Last one has to feel good 

On 4/20/2019 at 2:40 PM, JohnH19 said:

Gorgeous books. I don’t think Carmine Infantino ever produced a cover that was less than excellent.

I was thrilled to find an autographed copy of “The Amazing World of Carmine Infantino” at my LCS for 10 bucks last week.

Great find John, nice price too! (thumbsu

7 hours ago, JohnH19 said:

Here’s a couple of pics that I also posted in the Flash Collectors thread.

A79B0136-1B7B-42E9-B7E3-DB43DA43750C.thumb.jpeg.b59ffb928ca2917a69ab178dad471a7c.jpeg35586AB2-5751-48F9-8960-A7627B02BBA0.thumb.jpeg.2994a0aace5871bf3c0c0da79d1b7615.jpeg

Just looking at the covers on that cover, just has my total admiration. Not just Infantino, but all those guys put in a lot of hours and hard work in for our entertainment.

Thanks for sharing that, John (thumbsu