• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
42 42

9,430 posts in this topic

On 4/26/2019 at 3:59 PM, shiverbones said:

Purple DCs 😍

6082A852-33C5-4B63-8AFD-0DA41EF39DA6.jpeg

I've never seen this cover before but I'm honestly a bit surprised that superheroes conducting a seance was considered OK in those days.  Having seen people protesting Harry Potter movies decades later, I would have thought such an explicit occult reference might be too much especially for a conservative company like DC.

Thankfully they went for it and made such a beautiful cover. 😊

inside it is not quite a traditional seance, but the elements are there

Dc was conservative in the early 60s, but by the mid 60’s was starting to introduce more supernatural themes, and by the late 60s really pushed supernatural and horror themes. By 1973/ 1974 they were actually putting some disturbing ideas and outright violence in their mystery line with previously banned imagery like severed heads, dismemberment and hangings. 

3 hours ago, wolverine180 said:

Wow......4.0 really? Looks much nicer. Congrats.

Yep. For me this was a great example of not paying attention to the number but how the book presents. I’ve seen copies with bigger numbers with less appeal. With their movie out and all I couldn’t ignore the Avengers right now...:bigsmile:

1 hour ago, N e r V said:

Yep. For me this was a great example of not paying attention to the number but how the book presents. I’ve seen copies with bigger numbers with less appeal. With their movie out and all I couldn’t ignore the Avengers right now...:bigsmile:

Nice book; I agree completely. Already posted these but i think they look great for the grade, plus I grabbed the Avengers for about $65 under GPA.

AV6cgc.jpg

JIM93.jpg

I got some new books from a variety of sources.

Hawkman #23, Hawkman #24, Hawkman #26, Showcase #55 CGC 8.0 from MyComicShop.com.

Showcase #56 from Austin, aka  @AustinReece_GRRC of Reece's Rare Comics.

Showcase #17 CGC 3.5 from Rick, aka @Ricksneatstuff .

This puts me seven books from a complete run of Hawkman. I'm missing Hawkman #21 and #25, along with Mystery in Space #87 - #91. I also wanted to grab Showcase #17, a minor DC Key, at a reasonable price. And I'm a sucker for these Murphy Anderson try-out books; now I just have to get nice copies of Brave and the Bold #61 - #62.

Joe Ankenbauer

Hawkman23.jpg

Hawkman24.jpg

Hawkman26.jpg

Showcase17.JPG

Showcase55.JPG

Showcase56.jpg

15 hours ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I got some new books from a variety of sources.

Hawkman #23, Hawkman #24, Hawkman #26, Showcase #55 CGC 8.0 from MyComicShop.com.

Showcase #56 from Austin, aka  @AustinReece_GRRC of Reece's Rare Comics.

Showcase #17 CGC 3.5 from Rick, aka @Ricksneatstuff .

This puts me seven books from a complete run of Hawkman. I'm missing Hawkman #21 and #25, along with Mystery in Space #87 - #91. I also wanted to grab Showcase #17, a minor DC Key, at a reasonable price. And I'm a sucker for these Murphy Anderson try-out books; now I just have to get nice copies of Brave and the Bold #61 - #62.

Joe Ankenbauer

Showcase56.jpg

Thanks Joe! Appreciate the purchase and the post here. Glad you are happy with the book.