• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
43 43

9,435 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Readcomix said:

First silver age of 2020 for me :cloud9:

image.jpeg

(worship) one of these days I'll add a copy to my collection, a certain copy from a boardie I have my eye on :smile:

2 hours ago, AdamLogan said:

Rawhide Kid 22 - Found in a London used book store

I was shocked to find this today in a used book store in London while on a work trip, far away from home in California! I always stop in these kinds of stores while traveling for work in hopes of finding a gem, and on this trip I was not disappointed - but, there is a twist ending of sorts.

I was over the moon and ecstatic to basically get this book for free as I have been on the search for this one for a long while, but have never been inclined to pay the average online price of this particular book!

The issues they had in their longbox full of random issues were all in sleeves with a backing board (good) - but, all were heavily taped shut (bad). I politely asked the guy working at the store if I could remove the book from the sleeve and inspect the book. He said, "sure", and yanked the book out of my hands and popped open the tape sleeve and quickly and carelessly pulled the book from the bag. I almost had a heart attack, but it did indeed come out safely. He handed the book to me and I sighed a sigh of relief.

The book does have a slight ring on the cover where someone sat a drink can on it once upon a time, but it is barely visible and you have to turn the book just right in the light to even see it at all. Otherwise - complete with all ads, and the staples are in amazing condition with a very tightly attached cover. Too good to be true!

Then... I asked the guy if I could reinsert the book into the sleeve myself, and he said, "No... We have to do it ourselves so it doesn't get damaged". I asked him to please be careful, and asked in the most polite way possible if he could remove the tape from the sleeve before reinserting. He absolutely refused and said, "Nothing is going to happen". Of course... the tape stuck to the cover. I hung my head in disbelief.

To his credit, he spent 20 minutes with me gently pulling up the tape, and he managed to not pull up any ink. However, the book does now have a bit of tape glue on the cover - and I have to admit, it is frustrating me. You can see that below near the Totem's hand on the left side of the cover.

So in the end, I am ecstatic to have found this book! But, going forward - always be insistent with inexperienced store employees when tape is near a Silver or Golden age cover! Lesson learned ha!

I also got these other Rawhide Kid issues, along with the 22, for just 5 pounds (about $6.25 USD) each!

IMG_1925.thumb.jpg.ab40d3eb1992ddfc86e2e4fb382cf577.jpg

Happy hunting everyone!

Good story.  Sweet set.

I had your experience happen to me when I met someone to buy their Strange Tales 110.  She was not a comic person, and I asked if I could remove it from the mylar.  She opened it herself started to pull it out, the tape stuck, she pulled harder. and she put a small 1/8" round tape pull right in the middle of the front cover (that's a dark cover so it really showed).  I was going to pay her $750 originally.  I told her I couldn't give her any more than $500 for it now.  She was embarrassed and took it.

Edited by gadzukes

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

Good story.  Sweet set.

I had your experience happen to me when I met someone to buy their Strange Tales 110.  She was not a comic person, and I asked if I could remove it from the mylar.  She opened it herself started to pull it out, the tape stuck, she pulled harder. and she put a small 1/8" round tape pull right in the middle of the front cover (that's a dark cover so it really showed).  I was going to pay her $750 originally.  I told her I couldn't give her any more than $500 for it now.  She was embarrassed and took it.

Yikes I'm sure your heart sank. Don't mess with Doctor Strange ha!

As an update, I'll have another new shiny silver age acquisition to show off tomorrow. My wife just called from California, though it is the middle of the night here in London, to let me know an Amazing Fantasy 15 I had been long in search of arrived at home today! So excited!

Will post up pictures once I arrive home tomorrow. Can't wait!!!

On 1/14/2020 at 11:32 PM, Readcomix said:

Thank you; I see you're off to a nice start too! Sharp Creature (thumbsu

and thank you. It came in a horror lot I picked up from eBay with a few other Dell and Gold Key keys. It was the nicest in the bunch and the only one I was really looking for. The others were basically bonuses

13 hours ago, OuterboroGuy said:

Yes, pleased with the books.  Question for you -- how did you value the pence copy?  I am thinking approx. 60% of cents value for equivalent grade.

It depends on two things, really: condition (really good or really bad) & whether or not it's a key. As a rule of thumb for middle of the road conditions/issues 60% is not far off.

If you're after a high grade pence AF 15, TOS 39, JIM 83 or Hulk 1, it'll cost you more than the equivalent cents copy, simply because there are so few of them around.

Likewise, if you're after... I don't know... a pence Conan 65 or a Power-Man 27 reader copy or gap filler, you're over-paying at 5 bucks whether it's a cents or pence cover. 

Also, a few issues are so rare as a pence variant (some of the pre-hero titles & obscure stuff like My Girl Pearl 7 & Patsy & Hedy 70 & 71) that they'll claim a premium in any grade.

Edited by rakehell
i forgots