• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
42 42

9,387 posts in this topic

If anyone is looking for a Journey into Mystery #83, the one I (actually my dad) bought the same day as Amazing Fantasy #15 is on HA now.

http://comics.ha.com/c/search.zx?type=friend-consignorlive-notice&saleNo=122007&collection=103&FC=0

It's time for someone else to enjoy it.  It's a 4.5, but it's a one owner copy.  Ironic that I learned to read using this comic and others and I'm using any money to pay for eye surgery so I can see clearly again.  Placing my bet on UCLA Stein Eye Institute.

The very best feature of my 4.5 Journey into Mystery #83 is the color.  No fading and it really pops and looks vivid.  But it was my comic as a kid and I read it and stacked it in my (dark) closet with all the other comics.  It stayed there all through my military service and thankfully mom didn't throw away my comics.  It never got bagged until around late 1980's when comic book shops were more common and they sold that stuff.  It didn't get graded until 2011 and the notes are all an accumulation of small defects like the corners not being perfectly square and some color breaks along the edges of the cover.  My Amazing Fantasy #15 had the Marvel chipping but this copy doesn't have any.  I've had it framed on my office wall since I got it graded.  It displays nice and looks good because of the color as I mentioned.  I really hope someone buys it to keep.  The super high grades on HA are so out of reach for the average collector, but I think this one could go to someone who'll appreciate owning it a long time.

For others just joining, here's the link to the HA auction happening now:

http://comics.ha.com/c/search.zx?type=friend-consignorlive-notice&saleNo=122007&collection=103&FC=0

9 hours ago, silverweb said:

Maybe I am missing some of the defects, but that book looks undergraded to me. I could see it getting a 5.0 on a good day.

BTW, I also have a 4.5 OW-W. PM me if you want to compare.

Good luck with the sale. And your eye procedure. 

The very best feature of my 4.5 Journey into Mystery #83 is the color.  No fading and it really pops and looks vivid.  But it was my comic as a kid and I read it and stacked it in my (dark) closet with all the other comics.  It stayed there all through my military service and thankfully mom didn't throw away my comics.  It never got bagged until around late 1980's when comic book shops were more common and they sold that stuff.  It didn't get graded until 2011 and the notes are all an accumulation of small defects like the corners not being perfectly square and some color breaks along the edges of the cover.  My Amazing Fantasy #15 had the Marvel chipping but this copy doesn't have any.  I've had it framed on my office wall since I got it graded.  It displays nice and looks good because of the color as I mentioned.  I really hope someone buys it to keep.  The super high grades on HA are so out of reach for the average collector, but I think this one could go to someone who'll appreciate owning it a long time.

For others just joining, here's the link to the HA auction happening now:

On 2/8/2020 at 12:31 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I noticed a few Aquaman, Hawkman, and Atom covers that I liked.  I guess it's time to show those...so, here's the Aquaman's...

Awesome books. I recently finished SA runs of both the Atom and Hawkman. Working on Aquaman, love these books. (thumbsu