• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
42 42

9,430 posts in this topic

I located this comic among my junk pile unbagged.  I bought it off a spinner rack in 1969 and when I bagged and boxed my comics in the 1980s I didn't include it among my most valuable.  I looked up the value in comicbase and it says it's worth $370, which is a lot more than these reprint issues go for.  But, I'm now convinced this comic is something hard core silver age completists might be missing.  There is one original story in this issue.  The final installment of "Tales of the Watcher."  This backup feature was discontinued in Silver Surfer #7 and apparently they still had a completed piece of work and published it in among reprints a few months later.  This is right after Silver Surfer went from a 25 cent large issue to a smaller 15 cent format and there was no space for the backup feature.  The story is reprinted in the Masterworks volume, "Marvel Rarities."  Anyone agree/disagree this should be included in a complete collection of Marvel Silver Age comics?

MSH23.jpg

19 hours ago, Nostalgia_101 said:

I located this comic among my junk pile unbagged.  I bought it off a spinner rack in 1969 and when I bagged and boxed my comics in the 1980s I didn't include it among my most valuable.  I looked up the value in comicbase and it says it's worth $370, which is a lot more than these reprint issues go for.  But, I'm now convinced this comic is something hard core silver age completists might be missing.  There is one original story in this issue.  The final installment of "Tales of the Watcher."  This backup feature was discontinued in Silver Surfer #7 and apparently they still had a completed piece of work and published it in among reprints a few months later.  This is right after Silver Surfer went from a 25 cent large issue to a smaller 15 cent format and there was no space for the backup feature.  The story is reprinted in the Masterworks volume, "Marvel Rarities."  Anyone agree/disagree this should be included in a complete collection of Marvel Silver Age comics?

MSH23.jpg

It's on my want list, so yes!!!

In all seriousness, as a Marvel completist I generally do not collect reprints.  But the big exceptions were always:

• Fantasy Masterpieces #1-11 because those were Golden Age reprints in the Silver Age
  • All of the annuals, since some are new and some are reprints and I want them all
  • All of the Giant-Size books, since again some are new and some are reprints
  • Marvel Super-Heroes #1 because it was a one-off and old enough to be cool
  • Marvel Tales #1-6 because they are old enough to be cool
  • X-Men #67-93 because I can't have a gap in my run!

Then you get to Marvel Super-Heroes again ... obviously #12-20 are new material but a lot of collectors including myself consider #21 a must have for its awesome cover even though it's a reprint.  Speaking for myself, I decided to extend a bit further, partly because I somehow acquired a nice #27 and wanted to fill in the gap, and partly because I like the cover design through issue #28 or so.

If your book were in a 9.4 slab I would be asking you how much you want for it.

:flipbait:

Edited by Sweet Lou 14