• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
43 43

9,435 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Timeless icons said:

Pulled the trigger on this last night. Been trying to replace past books and this was up at the top of the list. Sold my 7.0 a few years back and have wanted one back ever since. Luckily, it looks better than my old copy imo. Happy dance! :banana::whee::banana:

Hulk 1 cgc 7.5.jpg

Beautiful 😍,  my favorite of the Marvel keys tied with FF5 

11 minutes ago, Timeless icons said:

Pulled the trigger on this last night. Been trying to replace past books and this was up at the top of the list. Sold my 7.0 a few years back and have wanted one back ever since. Luckily, it looks better than my old copy imo. Happy dance! :banana::whee::banana:

Hulk 1 cgc 7.5.jpg

Oh wow. Congratulations! 

2 hours ago, Timeless icons said:

Hulk 1 cgc 7.5.jpg

If I spent anywhere the amount you must have spent to buy this book, it would have been my wife pulling the trigger. lol

That is a very touching story. I love my wife dearly, but I can't imagine the thought ever crossing her mind to buy me an expensive comic book. And, in all honesty, I would prefer she didn't. The odds of her picking out a book that I am actually looking for/need would be almost nil. And if my wife had spent all this time trying to get this great gift, I'm sure she would be disappointed to hear, "Oh, I already have that issue." Why would anyone want to go through all that trouble again, after hearing the husband express his disappointment - disappointment is probably too harsh a word, but I can't think of a better term.

I know I will sound like a Scrooge, but the only enjoyment I get from Christmas now is when I watch our grandchildren open their gifts. They still get that "twinkle" in their when they receive gifts. When my wife or I want something, we just go get it. We don't say, "I sure hope Joe gets me that Insta-Pot for Christmas."

Edited by Math Teacher

2 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

That is a very touching story. I love my wife dearly, but I can't imagine the thought ever crossing her mind to buy me an expensive comic book. And, in all honesty, I would prefer she didn't. The odds of her picking out a book that I am actually looking for/need would be almost nil. And if my wife had spent all this time trying to get this great gift, I'm sure she would be disappointed to hear, "Oh, I already have that issue." Why would anyone want to go through all that trouble again, after hearing the husband express his disappointment - disappointment is probably too harsh a word, but I can't think of a better term.

I know I will sound like a Scrooge, but the only enjoyment I get from Christmas now is when I watch our grandchildren open their gifts. They still get that "twinkle" in their when they receive gifts.

For my two adult children, I, but not my wife, have decided to no longer purchase knick-knacks or tchotchkes for them. I'm at the point in my life where I just say, "What is something you really need this year?" Which will lead to replies like, "We would really like a zoo pass for our family." Even I can't mess that gift up. Or, "Our oven is acting kind of wonky." Fine, let's drive to Nebraska Furniture Mart and you can show me which one you want. I think that both my children would get far more practical use from a zoo pass or a new oven than if I took the time to buy them books, music, clothes, artwork, etc.

Also, my children are forbidden from buying me gifts. "Kids, if you want to spend money on me, please take that amount of money to a toy store, buy some toys, and donate them to Toys for Tots." I get a lot of enjoyment knowing that some child is now receiving a gift for Christmas because my children didn't waste money on me. It is far more important for a child to receive a gift, even if it is only one, than it is for me to receive a gift. My wife and I are well off enough financially that, if we decide we want something, we just go buy/order it (within reason of course - no Hulk #1 CGC 7.0 or a new set of pots/pans to replace the set we bought just two years ago). We don't sit around saying, "Boy, I sure hope Joe buys me that paint-by-numbers kit that I have been looking at for Christmas."

I also prefer that my wife spends a minimal amount of money on me. Again, if I want it, I just go get it. Each year, bless her heart, my wife tries to surprise me with a gift, but my room currently has numerous gifts that I have not touched or looked at since Christmas day. I truly do appreciate my wife's effort, but, in the back of my mind, I am always thinking, "That was a waste of money." I buy my wife a lot of gifts, because Christmas is so important to her, but the majority of gifts are of the type, "Send me an Amazon link for what you want, and I'll order it." I do try to buy one surprise gift for her each Christmas, but I usually try to keep the cost at $50 or less. If she likes the gift, she isn't concerned with the price, and if she doesn't like the gift, then I don't feel stupid for spending a lot of money on a gift she didn't like. Over the years, my batting average on successful surprise gifts from my wife is around 0.500. I don't think it serves either partner well to be cleaning out a closet, and finding a gift that was purchased two years ago, still in the box. That's not a whole lot different than taping a note to the box that says, "This gift served no useful purpose."

For me, Christmas is a time to spend time with your family and to sit back and watch your young children/grandchildren open their gifts.

Just for future information, if you ever need to explain the phrase "thread drift," feel free to point them to this post.

I agree. Holidays are definitely time for family. Ive always been kind of a kid on the holidays though and we both seem to have the same mentality. As long as the family is good and things are in check, we do what we can do to be happy. Not sure if my short story seemed offensive. It was merely to share what i thought was an incredibly thoughtful and well thought out gift. :foryou:

I usually play it out in a similar way with most family members. Better to ask what they need or want. Makes more sense to me that way. 

Edited by Timeless icons

22 hours ago, Timeless icons said:

I agree. Holidays are definitely time for family. Ive always been kind of a kid on the holidays though and we both seem to have the same mentality. As long as the family is good and things are in check, we do what we can do to be happy. Not sure if my short story seemed offensive. It was merely to share what i thought was an incredibly thoughtful and well thought out gift. :foryou:

I usually play it out in a similar way with most family members. Better to ask what they need or want. Makes more sense to me that way. 

I, in no way, thought that your short story was offensive. I enjoyed it. Now I can just sit back and wait for the movie version. lol