• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
43 43

9,432 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

I picked up these three books over the last two weeks. Thanks to @Omaha-CGC-Comics for giving me a good deal on issues #7 and #8. And yes, I have decided to keep the pence copy, at least until something better comes along.

FF7-CGC.thumb.jpg.06f0fc9ee7063cbc2fa44548c421c23c.jpg     FF8-CGC.thumb.jpg.314fdece07f1197baae52e08064dcf64.jpg

FF9-CGC.thumb.jpg.07eae50054a274096271b3baa56f88a3.jpg

History will smile on pence copies, Joe. Nice scores all around! (thumbsu

41 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

the s'case part of the challengers run... 

other guy's book appropriately cropped.

showcase6.jpg

showcase7 (2).png

showcase11.jpg

showcase12.jpg

There’s so much of a Fantastic Four flavor to the Challies books! 

On 3/7/2021 at 8:54 AM, Sepo said:

Hi! I'm new to CGC, but I've been collecting since 1970. My focus has always been The Incredible Hulk, Fantastic Four, The Avengers, etc. I stopped actively collecting around 1979, but I never stopped loving comics. I got back into collecting about 10 years ago and I gotta say that they've brought me a great deal of comfort over the last year. I am seriously considering having some of my books graded and slabbed, which is a whole new world for me. I've never even held a slabbed book before. Anyway, here are scans of some of the latest additions to my collection.

Welcome!  Those are really nice books.  If you're new to getting your books graded, I suggest thinking through your strategy.  For many collectors, the only reason to get books graded is to sell them off.  Also regardless of whether you're looking to sell, it's only really worth the hassle and expense if the book is a significant key (in which case even a low-grade copy will be worth much more than you paid to grade it) or if it's in high grade (IMHO, at least 7.0 on early Silver Age books, 9.0 by the time you get to the Bronze Age, and 9.6-9.8 by the time you get to modern books).

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Welcome!  Those are really nice books.  If you're new to getting your books graded, I suggest thinking through your strategy.  For many collectors, the only reason to get books graded is to sell them off.  Also regardless of whether you're looking to sell, it's only really worth the hassle and expense if the book is a significant key (in which case even a low-grade copy will be worth much more than you paid to grade it) or if it's in high grade (IMHO, at least 7.0 on early Silver Age books, 9.0 by the time you get to the Bronze Age, and 9.6-9.8 by the time you get to modern books).

Thanks for the sound advice! I would probably only consider slabbing what few key silver age books I own (ASM #9, FF #52 Marvel Super-Heroes #12, etc.) and some Bronze Age (Hero for Hire #1, Eternals #1 & & #2, Marvel feature #1, #2 & #3). The process is a little complicated to understand, but there's a lot of helpful information to be found here on these forums. Today, I should be receiving THREE Slabbed books (the first I have ever owned). Very excited!

My journey begins.......