• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
43 43

9,432 posts in this topic

On 6/29/2017 at 6:07 PM, Readcomix said:

Stumbled into this today. I've always wanted one, so it was a total impulse buy.

image.jpeg

Always loved the colors on this one. This book and Marvel Tales 1 complement each other. Great pick-up!

4 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

Always loved the colors on this one. This book and Marvel Tales 1 complement each other. Great pick-up!

Thank you! My thought exactly as I purchased it. I've had my Marvel Tales #1 for a while; I see this one in the wild far less frequently. 

21 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Thank you! My thought exactly as I purchased it. I've had my Marvel Tales #1 for a while; I see this one in the wild far less frequently. 

What's lost upon many is how important these reprint books were to kids and readers who missed out on the origin stories that hit newsstands before they discovered these great characters. My guess is that it wasn't easy to find back issues during the late '50s and early '60s so books like Secret Origins 1 and Marvel Tales 1 were so important to D.C. and Marvel fans back then. These books are another example of how much is lost for those who focus on "market-centric" books. This hobby and its history tells us a great deal more than "which book is more valuable than the other" or "what book should I invest in."

Edited by bronze johnny

13 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

What's lost upon many is how important these reprint books were to kids and readers who missed out on the origin stories that hit newsstands before they discovered these great characters. My guess is that it wasn't easy to find back issues during the late '50s and early '60s so books like Secret Origins 1 and Marvel Tales 1 were so important to D.C. and Marvel fans back then. These books are another example of how much is lost for those who focus on "market-centric" books. This hobby and its history tells us a great deal more than "which book is more valuable than the other" or "what book should I invest in."

So powerfully true! I recall this book being much more sought-after years ago for those reasons. MT1 too, but this one always seemed tougher to find pre- internet. They are not "retirement portfolio" books lol but they are true collectors' keys. Like many of us, I've got my various bookshelf type reprints of big Silver keys, but reading these is much closer in look and feel to reading one's actual copies, right down to hand feel and weight as you sit there with it.

Edited by Readcomix

2 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

So powerfully true! I recall this book being much more sought-after years ago for those reasons. MT1 too, but this one always seemed tougher to find pre- internet. 

Secret Origins is the tougher of the two. Kids must have reread these books over and over until they fell apart. I was never a big fan of multi-panel covers but squarebound giants like Secret Origins 1 and Marvel Tales 1 are an exception. 

17 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

So powerfully true! I recall this book being much more sought-after years ago for those reasons. MT1 too, but this one always seemed tougher to find pre- internet. They are not "retirement portfolio" books lol but they are true collectors' keys. Like many of us, I've got my various bookshelf type reprints of big Silver keys, but reading these is much closer in look and feel to reading one's actual copies, right down to hand feel and weight as you sit there with it.

Secret Origins 1 and Marvel Tales 1 may not be the first annuals but they may have had a greater influence on readers back then- especially MT 1. Think about this- MT 1 is the first reprint and only annual that kicks off the most successful reprint run in comic book history (Spidey had a hand in this of course). 

2 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

Secret Origins 1 and Marvel Tales 1 may not be the first annuals but they may have had a greater influence on readers back then- especially MT 1. Think about this- MT 1 is the first reprint and only annual that kicks off the most successful reprint run in comic book history (Spidey had a hand in this of course). 

I think so!

As to DC annuals, did any precede Secret Origins #1? (1961). I'm too comfortable to go dig out its peers, and someone around probably knows for certain anyway.

Maybe we need a square-bound Silver Age thread! Now you've got me thinking about how very awesome, for very different reasons, the first two Strange Tales annuals are!