• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
43 43

9,435 posts in this topic

Just posted the full story over in Comics General in what's new in your collection, but here's the pix. After a year of discussions, I bought the remainder of an original owner's childhood collection. The provenance is a really cool thing; seeing them all together helps me appreciate what it must be like to see a large grouping from one pedigree together. Very cool,experience to work with this gentleman and transition his childhood books to a new home. Reality is I'll keep a few and likely move most, but I will find a way to pass along the provenance.

Should be easy enough as clear, well-placed date stamps and initials "M.R." In blue ink in the lower right margin area of the splash pages are distinguishing features. Cool day  :cloud9:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 0:14 AM, Readcomix said:

Just posted the full story over in Comics General in what's new in your collection, but here's the pix. After a year of discussions, I bought the remainder of an original owner's childhood collection. The provenance is a really cool thing; seeing them all together helps me appreciate what it must be like to see a large grouping from one pedigree together. Very cool,experience to work with this gentleman and transition his childhood books to a new home. Reality is I'll keep a few and likely move most, but I will find a way to pass along the provenance.

Should be easy enough as clear, well-placed date stamps and initials "M.R." In blue ink in the lower right margin area of the splash pages are distinguishing features. Cool day  :cloud9:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That is just too awesome.

20 minutes ago, Sriz said:

That is just too awesome.

Thank you; I'm still tired from the rush of closing the deal after a year. I should be downstairs flipping through each one and enjoying them; that was my plan tonight. When I first saw them over a year ago, I told myself it would be nice to buy them (he of course wanted to move it all together) and keep the DD1 and TOS 52, which I did not have, and maybe pick a few others if they are upgrades over mine and sell the rest. Seeing them together though, almost all with similar, distinct date stamping and original owner initials, is just a very cool thing. I can only imagine how someone feels discovering a collection that is bigger and higher grade, destined for pedigree. This is 79 books, mostly lower grade to VG/F on average I would say without carefully grading each one yet, but the provenance is a very cool thing.

The guy brought them in a Brooks Brothers suit box (1st pic) and when I walked in the door that night, my wife said, "You bought a sheet cake?" I said, "Nope. (Name's) childhood." He said he had no attachment to them any longer, but when I arrived to meet him at the public library, he was showing the DD1 to a couple guys playing chess. I think about it trying to understand what it will someday be like to part with my collection. I guess you turn over stewardship of the books to someone else at that point, but the child who loves comics is always a part of you. 

Edited by Readcomix
Typos

22 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Thank you; I'm still tired from the rush of closing the deal after a year. I should be downstairs flipping through each one and enjoying them; that was my plan tonight. When I first saw them over a year ago, I told myself it would be nice to buy them (he of course wanted to move it all together) and keep the DD1 and TOS 52, which I did not have, and maybe pick a few others if they are upgrades over mine and sell the rest. Seeing them together though, almost all with similar, distinct date stamping and original owner initials, is just a very cool thing. I can only imagine how someone feels discovering a collection that is bigger and higher grade, destined for pedigree. This is 79 books, mostly lower grade to VG/F on average I would say without carefully grading each one yet, but the provenance is a very cool thing.

The guy brought them in a Brooks Brothers suit box (1st pic) and when I walked in the door that night, my wife said, "You bought a sheet cake?" I said, "Nope. (Name's) childhood." He said he had no attachment to them any longer, but when I arrived to meet him at the public library, he was showing the DD1 to a couple guys playing chess. I think about it trying to understand what it will someday be like to part with my collection. I guess you turn over stewardship of the books to someone else at that point, but the child who loves comics is always a part of you. 

Great story!   Would it be possible to get a close-up of one of the books to see the distinguishing marks?

I recall a few years ago my neighbor let me know of relatives that had about 50 G.A. comics for sale. It turned out to be 45 comics and they were all in LG, and were not an original owner collection, but still there were a few that were pretty cool books (Firehair #6 comes to mind) .  The one regret I now have is trading several of them at a con for a Tales of the Unexpected book. I now wish I had kept the Disney book that has the Shark chasing Donald in circles on the cover. It was also an "action" cover where one could make a few cuts and have the jaws of the shark move.  The cut had not been made, however.

4 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

Great story!   Would it be possible to get a close-up of one of the books to see the distinguishing marks?

I recall a few years ago my neighbor let me know of relatives that had about 50 G.A. comics for sale. It turned out to be 45 comics and they were all in LG, and were not an original owner collection, but still there were a few that were pretty cool books (Firehair #6 comes to mind) .  The one regret I now have is trading several of them at a con for a Tales of the Unexpected book. I now wish I had kept the Disney book that has the Shark chasing Donald in circles on the cover. It was also an "action" cover where one could make a few cuts and have the jaws of the shark move.  The cut had not been made, however.

Sure....here's his initials on the splash from DD#6, and the DD1 cover which is exemplary of how his local corner store date stamped it's books, as they are all prominent/easy to see but not over the action or characters.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Readcomix

2 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

Very nice placement of those date stamps in unobtrusive places on the covers.

Obvious as it is in the middle there, I kinda like the Valentine's Day '64 on there.

Also, about 40 years ago, he gave away his ASM's (beginning with #4) and FF's (beginning with #12) for a cystic fibrosis charity fundraiser, so if you find any with "M.R." In the splash margin, they are part of the same collection.