• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
43 43

9,439 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Readcomix said:

I think so!

As to DC annuals, did any precede Secret Origins #1? (1961). I'm too comfortable to go dig out its peers, and someone around probably knows for certain anyway.

Maybe we need a square-bound Silver Age thread! Now you've got me thinking about how very awesome, for very different reasons, the first two Strange Tales annuals are!

Superman got his before Secret Origins 1.

Just now, bronze johnny said:

Yep- Secret Origins 1 is the second D.C. SA annual.

Thank you!

Now, I am going to crash before I go hunt down a Millie the Model Annual #1! (Or that second DC Secret Origins with the purplish background on the cover...)

Thank you!

Now, I am going to crash before I go hunt down a Millie the Model Annual #1! (Or that second DC Secret Origins with the purplish background on the cover...)

Don't forget Marvel Collectors Item Classic 1.

12 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Agh! I'm sending you the bill!  :baiting:

According to GCD, the cover to Secret Origins was done by Sprang (Bats & Supes), Jack Kirby (Challies), Gil Kane (Adam Strange & Green Lantern), Ross Andru (Wonder Woman), Joe Certa (Martian Manhunter), Lee Elias (Green Arrow), and Carmine  Infantino (Flash). Where else would you find all these legends on one cover?

1 minute ago, bronze johnny said:

According to GCD, the cover to Secret Origins was done by Sprang (Bats & Supes), Jack Kirby (Challies), Gil Kane (Adam Strange & Green Lantern), Ross Andru (Wonder Woman), Joe Certa (Martian Manhunter), Lee Elias (Green Arrow), and Carmine  Infantino (Flash). Where else would you find all these legends on one cover?

I was thinking about that as I looked it over. Then I got to thinking, "What would it cost me to assemble a mid-grade pile of Showcase 4,6,17; GL 1, Wonder Woman 105, Tec 225, World's Finest 71???"

I was thinking about that as I looked it over. Then I got to thinking, "What would it cost me to assemble a mid-grade pile of Showcase 4,6,17; GL 1, Wonder Woman 105, Tec 225, World's Finest 71???"

Where would a kid find those books in 1961? 

Just now, Readcomix said:

No clue! Just thinking about the cost of assembling that line-up today is all.

I'm sure the kids back in 1961 didn't have a clue as to where they could get these books outside of the circle of readers known to them.

8 hours ago, Readcomix said:

So powerfully true! I recall this book being much more sought-after years ago for those reasons. MT1 too, but this one always seemed tougher to find pre- internet. They are not "retirement portfolio" books lol but they are true collectors' keys. Like many of us, I've got my various bookshelf type reprints of big Silver keys, but reading these is much closer in look and feel to reading one's actual copies, right down to hand feel and weight as you sit there with it.

I love that first Secret Origins as well. Don't forget this one, it's sequel, a great book too!

IMG_0574.JPG

19 hours ago, Readcomix said:

20k lol

2 hours ago, Jking3437 said:

20k lol

2 hours ago, Jking3437 said:

20k lol

Ok, I couldn't resist....Using a back of the envelope calculation (sales on Heritage, 2014 til now, all 5.5 to 6.5 range) would've run that patient buyer of these 7 mid-grade slabs over those 3.5 years...$$41,651.70! 

Of course, the Showcase 4 was $31,070 of that number, but nothing was under $900.

Somebody else can do the calculations for Marvel Tales 1, Marvel Collectors Item Classics 1 and the other SA Secret Origins volume. :ohnoez: