What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
38 38

5,456 posts in this topic

23 posts
22 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

Awesome to see someone post a comic they got when they were young. The comics I have from my youth are most important to me- more important than the GA, SA, and BA keys in my collection. The memories of my youth tucked away in the pages of these paper made time machines are resurrected each time I open a book and read through the pages. Memories of the newsstand where I bought the book and the time I took my newest books home. These are the books that matter as we grow older and more distant from our younger years and a world that once was. 

I have most of my comics from boyhood and the ones I've had graded are all in the 4.0 - 6.0 range.  I sure wish I'd kept them in perfect condition, but I would have never even thought to do so way back them.  I'm just glad they survived.  All my things were thrown away or stolen when I was overseas in military service, but my comics survived locked in the trunk of a junker Rambler parked in the side yard of my childhood home.  No boxes or bags, just stacked in piles.  They didn't get wet or deteriorate in any way I could tell.  Only as an adult did I bag and box them up and only now am I encapsulating a few good ones.  I already posted some pictures of my key comics defaced with Dymo labels and well worn and read dozens of times.  You really had to return a lot of pop bottles to buy your own comics as a kid.

1,031 posts
2 hours ago, oglelo said:

20190312_143259.jpg

20190312_143307.jpg

Honest question, no intention to offend ... but what's the point of certifying a "cover only" book if CGC isn't going to assess the condition of the cover?  I suppose there's some value in knowing the cover is genuine, particularly on a key book like this one, but do you feel getting it slabbed enhances its value enough to justify the cost?

70 posts
15 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Honest question, no intention to offend ... but what's the point of certifying a "cover only" book if CGC isn't going to assess the condition of the cover?  I suppose there's some value in knowing the cover is genuine, particularly on a key book like this one, but do you feel getting it slabbed enhances its value enough to justify the cost?

I never sent it in. Got it from a trade as is.

1,031 posts
Just now, oglelo said:

I never sent it in. Got it from a trade as is.

I'm not a Golden Age collector, but I know that it's common for people to collect incomplete Golden Age keys and even to attempt to marry them together to create complete copies.  I don't see it nearly as often for Silver Age books, ,,, but again for a key like this one I can obviously still see the appeal.  Are you hoping to find a coverless copy and marry this cover to it?

16,607 posts
On 2/25/2019 at 7:08 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

Happy to pick this beauty up 

CC4BD407-C9C1-4210-BBE0-7D712EC5A3DF.jpeg

That book DOES NOT SUCK (worship)

70 posts
2 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I'm not a Golden Age collector, but I know that it's common for people to collect incomplete Golden Age keys and even to attempt to marry them together to create complete copies.  I don't see it nearly as often for Silver Age books, ,,, but again for a key like this one I can obviously still see the appeal.  Are you hoping to find a coverless copy and marry this cover to it?

Possibly, but a few people are wanting to purchase it. Sounds tempting...otherwise, no interest in the marrying of them.  Would rather just keep it for the artwork.

23 posts

Here’s another comic I remember purchasing off a spinner rack at a Rexall Drug store as a boy.  It’s in a little better condition than most of my childhood books because I remember not liking it and only read it once.  But, apparently this is now a key book because of the movies. By this point I understood about reprints and collected Marvel Tales, Marvel Collectors Item Classics, Fantasy Masterpieces, and later Marvel Super Heroes.

EC90887C-FCAD-4A9F-8189-67BA4ABA2244.jpeg

131 posts
2 hours ago, David Stager said:

Here’s another comic I remember purchasing off a spinner rack at a Rexall Drug store as a boy.  It’s in a little better condition than most of my childhood books because I remember not liking it and only read it once.  But, apparently this is now a key book because of the movies. By this point I understood about reprints and collected Marvel Tales, Marvel Collectors Item Classics, Fantasy Masterpieces, and later Marvel Super Heroes.

EC90887C-FCAD-4A9F-8189-67BA4ABA2244.jpeg

I concur that this is a key book - but considering the popularity of GOTG movies, I don't see it skyrocketing in price like, say, Wolverine or the new X-Men has. I'm not sure why the demand isn't the same.

1,413 posts
On 3/12/2019 at 9:52 PM, oglelo said:

Possibly, but a few people are wanting to purchase it. Sounds tempting...otherwise, no interest in the marrying of them.  Would rather just keep it for the artwork.

It is a great piece of comic art to be sure!

1,413 posts
On 3/13/2019 at 5:23 PM, evilskip said:

28 years ago I had to sell most of my JLA collection due to trying to keep a roof over our heads as bills came piling up from what was to be a life long illness. So it was nice to be able to pick this one up in a trade for less than half of Overstreet.

jla02.jpg

I have a similar story. Had to sell everything due to college poverty many years ago. Congratulations on the pick up!

1,413 posts
Posted (edited)

Nice books! Nothing like a Jack Kirby drawn super hero team fight on the cover! Lots of clenched fists, ray guns, spell-casting and a magic hammer ready to throw!

Edited by CycleGirl

1,413 posts
Posted (edited)

This just arrived today! I've also included the first Sabrina story page by the one and only Dan DeCarlo!

681823964_archiemadhouse22.thumb.jpg.6c066cc120e339c16e525ce9bcd8f966.jpgsabrina-mad22.jpg.6cbda6bd758f9789e4e6e9bbc559d962.jpg

Edited by CycleGirl