• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's new in your Silver Age collection this week
42 42

9,430 posts in this topic

On 12/10/2019 at 3:57 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Great cover, but let's just pause to acknowledge the little white "impact" near the bad guy's fist, which tells us that Batman was somehow floating outside that window, presumably surrounded by a field of suspended shards of broken glass, before the punch was thrown.

it's times like this i have to ask "what would Adam West do?..."

I bought some comics at auction, and later was approached to buy more from the owner. He was an auctioneer who had bought  books at yard sales thru the years, and I started picking out the DC comics, as I am that guy. I was very surprised when I started looking at some of them on ebay, and no I don't wish to sell any of them. I've been collecting for 35 years, various DC and Marvel, etc.. Well the one that really has me interested is a Flash 105. I'm no expert grader, and I enjoy them from reader grade to brand new. I'm considering have the Flash 105 CGC'ed because it still has a very good sheen to the cover and the inside looks pretty good. What would I expect to pay to get something like that graded, and how much should I insure it for in case it gets lost in the mail. Granted, I would not consider without shipping via UPS (Fedex never delivered my Apple II software, even with tracking) and high dollar insurance as this is probably my needle in a hey stack, but I've got another 400 to 500 books that I bought from him to look thru. I posted a pic below for those with grading experience to let me know if it is worth grading.

20191122_181756.jpg

that's a great book!

i would advise you to get that thing graded only if you plan on selling it, which it seems like you're not interested in doing right now.  it would be spending money for the purpose of seeing what grade a 3rd party service would give it, which is of some value but not enough to justify the expense and risk, imho.

if i had that book and planned on keeping it, i would investigate perhaps sending it in for a resto check, but i doubt i would slab something just to do it for my collection. there are people who prefer their books in slabs, so it's not a universal opinion by any means, but those are my thoughts

17 hours ago, James R Maddox Jr said:

I bought some comics at auction, and later was approached to buy more from the owner. He was an auctioneer who had bought  books at yard sales thru the years, and I started picking out the DC comics, as I am that guy. I was very surprised when I started looking at some of them on ebay, and no I don't wish to sell any of them. I've been collecting for 35 years, various DC and Marvel, etc.. Well the one that really has me interested is a Flash 105. I'm no expert grader, and I enjoy them from reader grade to brand new. I'm considering have the Flash 105 CGC'ed because it still has a very good sheen to the cover and the inside looks pretty good. What would I expect to pay to get something like that graded, and how much should I insure it for in case it gets lost in the mail. Granted, I would not consider without shipping via UPS (Fedex never delivered my Apple II software, even with tracking) and high dollar insurance as this is probably my needle in a hey stack, but I've got another 400 to 500 books that I bought from him to look thru. I posted a pic below for those with grading experience to let me know if it is worth grading.

20191122_181756.jpg

You've got one opinion in the post above this one, if that rings true, look up sold listings on ebay in the grade you think it will come back as and use this link for the insurance and CGC pricing of the value..... to decide if it's worth the trouble.... GREAT BOOK BY THE WAY :) 

https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/services-fees/cgc/

Here is another guide in value...

https://comics.gocollect.com/guide/view/121348

also here is where you can post scans on the CGC forums to get an idea of the grade from boardies :foryou: 

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

Just read the rules and start a thread! :headbang: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

18 hours ago, James R Maddox Jr said:

20191122_181756.jpg

Sweet find!!  Kinda tough to tell on the grade, as the pic is a little fuzzy (and pics can hide blemishes that only become obvious upon seeing in person...) but having said that, looks like it could/should easily be a 7.0, maybe an 8.0, but impossible to tell for sure until seeing in person.  I gotta agree with Sal - if you're not looking to sell, not much point in slabbing it to extract a higher sale price, unless you just want to enjoy the intrinsic beauty of having a rare slabbed book...  Are there any major flaws to the book?  Not creases, foxing, mild soiling, that sort of thing, but really exceptional items like a detached staple, significant tears or spine split, major stains, evidence of water damage, missing pages/coupons, etc. etc.  Things that CGC will significantly drop the grading over...

I'm still new myself, but spend some time drilling down deep into the boards and it'll start to become apparent which members are here a lot and offering quality advice (like ADAMANTIUM - you'll see his name all over the place, that's a good thing...)  When submitting for slabbing, I prefer to do them in groups of 5, 10, or more, so to defray shipping/insurance/CGC invoice costs over a set, shrink costs down on per-unit level.   USPS charges insurance on a declining scale as the insured amount increases (i.e. - it may cost $50 to ship/insure a package for $1000 vs $100 to ship/insure a package for $5000, and so on...)  So if you do decide to run with this, pick out your 5 best and run with it...  good luck!