• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ayn, Neal and the world around me...

887 posts in this topic

the Superboy run by Adams....not complete, yet.

I will attempt to do a little write up in the future on this run. It is my favorite Adams cover run.

th_Superboy143CGC98OW-WPlr.jpg.th_0af1092c.jpg.th_Superboy148CGC85WP.jpg.th_Superboy149CGC90OW.jpg.th_Superboy150CGC94OW-WPrl.jpg.th_ca2b8868.jpg.

th_Superboy153CGC94OW-WPlr.jpg.th_Superboy155CGC94WPlr.jpg.th_Superboy159CGC96OW-WP.jpg.th_206bc86a.jpg .th_Superboy161CGC98WPlr.jpg.th_Superboy163CGC92OW-WP.jpg.

th_SUperboy166CGC96OWlr.jpg.th_Superboy172CGC98OW-WPlr.jpg.th_Superboy173CGC98OW-WPlr.jpgth_Superboy176CGC96WPlr.jpg.th_Superboy178CGC96WPlr.jpg

and raw only:

th_168-1.jpg

in Honor....

The Gettysburg Address

Gettysburg, Pennsylvania

November 19, 1863

On June 1, 1865, Senator Charles Sumner commented on what is now considered the most famous speech by President Abraham Lincoln. In his eulogy on the slain president, he called it a "monumental act." He said Lincoln was mistaken that "the world will little note, nor long remember what we say here." Rather, the Bostonian remarked, "The world noted at once what he said, and will never cease to remember it. The battle itself was less important than the speech."

"Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

"...gather around their sacred remains and garland the passionless mounds above them with choicest flowers of springtime....let us in this solemn presence renew our pledges to aid and assist those whom they have left among us as sacred charges upon the Nation's gratitude,--the soldier's and sailor's widow and orphan." --General John Logan, General Order No. 11, 5 May 1868

"[O]ur cause is the cause of all mankind, and that we are fighting for their liberty in defending our own." --- Benjamin Franklin 1777

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died," said Gen. George S. Patton. "Rather we should thank God that such men lived."

I cannot imagine the surrender of my life for the idea and concept of freedom and liberty. I say I could but it was not I who enlisted. It was not I who sacrificed. It was not I who left my family and friends, the love of a home to fight for the very real, the very tangible belief in country, freedom and life.

I can only honor, I can only donate, and I can only remember those who gave so that I could pursue life, liberty and happiness. To everyone and anyone who has served in the name of our great country, who has given the ultimate gift or left more on the field than they could take home, who left wounded for life; to you all, on this day and every day you have my gratitude, my thanks and my strength whatever there is that you need.

To those we have lost, may your rest be peaceful, may your family have calm. To those that returned scared and missing the whole, may you have comfort from pain and the care you need. To the children left lonely I cannot give you what you deserve, only suggest the Country, our freedom, my children owe much if not all to your hero.

From Edward Gerrish to this very day, I remain in memoriam.

Sarah, my daughter of 6: “Thank you for saving our country.”

Fading light dims the sight

And a star gems the sky, gleaming bright

From afar drawing nigh,

Falls the night.

Day is done, gone the sun

From the lakes, from the hills, from the skies

All is well, safely rest;

God is nigh.

Then goodnight, peaceful night;

Till the light of the dawn shineth bright.

God is near, do not fear,

Friend, goodnight.

Hey Dover,

The 254 still bothers me a little. I think there was a thread on it in Bronze a couple of years ago, but I can't find it and I can't remember the outcome. To me, that is clearly a Nick Cardy cover. Is the idea that Cardy finished Adams breakdowns on this one?

Hey Dover,

The 254 still bothers me a little. I think there was a thread on it in Bronze a couple of years ago, but I can't find it and I can't remember the outcome. To me, that is clearly a Nick Cardy cover. Is the idea that Cardy finished Adams breakdowns on this one?

I think we decided it was a Cardy cover. I think Neal did pencils and ink on a story inside (- The Baby Who Walked Through Walls Pencils and Inks).

The problem is the cover has some "Neal" to it. How about a Mostly Cardy cover.

Neal's run on Jimmy and Lois was pure fun with the exception of JO 134. I think the pencil work shows that he could go from making Batman sinister, dark and alive to the simple strokes that depict Jimmy and Lois. He could adjust his style to fi the character.

th_JimmyOlsen109CGC96OWlr.jpg.th_JimmyOlsen110CGC96OWlr.jpg.th_083e6f51.jpg.th_JimmyOlsen118CGC96OW-WPlr.jpg.th_JimmyOlsen134CGC98OW-WPlr.jpg.th_304ae475.jpg.th_JimmyOlsen136CGC98OW-WPlr.jpg.th_JimmyOlsen148CGC96OW-WPlr.jpg

th_LoisLane84CGC96OW-WPlr.jpg.th_LoisLane85CGC96OW-WPlr.jpg.th_LoisLane88CGC94OW-WPlr.jpgth_LoisLane89CGC94OW-WPlr.jpg.th_LoisLane91CGC96WPlr.jpg

Wonder Woman 88 CGC 9.9....

I don't know exactly what draws me to this cover. Brian Bolland...love his work, his simple lines are wonderful works, especially on the female figure. The combination of these two great characters reaching back to the begining of super hero time...maybe, not a bad combination, there has long been the insinuation they may have "hooked" up from time to time, at least from my view. The ruggedness of Superman...the long hair, the overly masculine and muscular form...the rock of a chin..

I can't prove anything, but if I were a young artist looking at this cover, I could be inspired to draw images of Superman in this form if say I were Alex Ross...... hm just what I think in my world today.

30fb1ee6.jpg

I could agree with all of this, but for one tragic complication - the Super-Mullet. That mullet is so over the top that it has actually transformed one of the most iconic heroes in any mythology into a mook. Superman looks like a low level mafia thug from a bad Van Damme movie. Everything else about the cover is fantastic, as almost all of Bolland's work is. But damn that Super-Mullet; I just can't get past it.

PS: Love the Journal, Michael.

You know when you collect Neal Adams, you can't just pick the good stuff, you have to have it all. I present a large collection of his "modern" books: 80-90's mostly.

He obviously had talent and a great deal of forward thinking on the "creator is the owner" mentality that lead him to break away and start his own company. The Continuity line was his valiant attempt to try and develop his own line of books, stories and characters. Some of it is rushed and hap hazard drek, some of it is just good ole' Adams work.

For more on his continuity stuff I offer this link: http://www.mightycrusaders.net/continuity_comics.htm

Adams Modern Collection:

th_Megalith4CGC98WP.jpg.th_Megalith7CGC98WP.jpg.th_MsMystic4CGC98WP.jpg.th_ValeriatheSheBat1CGC98WP.jpg.th_ValeriatheSheBat2CGC98WP.jpg.th_ValiantVisionStartupCGC96WP.jpg.

th_CaptainVictory3CGC98WP.jpg.th_Crazyman1CGC98WP.jpg.th_Crazyman2CGC96WP.jpg.th_GreenLanternGreenArrow1CGC98WP.jpg.th_MegalithDeathwatch20002CGC96WP.jpg.th_MrTandtheT-Force1CGC98.jpg.

th_MsMystic1CGC98WP.jpg.th_MsMystic2CGC98WP.jpg.th_RevengersfeatArmorandSilverStreak1C.jpg.th_RevengersfeatMegalith1CGC94WP.jpg.th_Skateman1CGC98WP.jpg.th_ZeroPatrol1CGC98WP.jpg.

th_ValeriatheSheBat1SpecialCGC96WP.jpg.th_ValeriathesheBat1CGC98WP-1.jpg.th_SagaofRasAlGhul4CGC98WPfrnt.jpg.th_scan0002.jpg.th_Shaman0CGC98WP.jpg.th_AvengersFinale1CGC98WP.jpg.

th_d3c8ec61.jpg.th_e6ce05d2.jpg.th_b50ab494.jpg.th_41f0ab21.jpg.th_ea86ea98.jpg.th_85bbae28.jpg

Adams Green Lanterns...

I know, I don't have a 76. I did, I sold it. And yes, I will have to aquire another one in the near future. They are over priced right now and I will not pay for the valuation. I also upgraded my 82 copy but do not have a scan.

The significance of this run can be debated; the start of the bronze age? maybe...the greatness, to me, cannot. Bringing together two very great talents; Denny O'Neill and Neal Adams and unleashing them on a very human character such as the Green Lantern is amazing.

th_GreenLantern63CGC94OW-wplr.jpg.th_GreenLantern77CGC96WPlr.jpg.th_GreenLantern78CGC96OW-WPlr.jpg.th_GreenLantern79CGC94OW-WPlr.jpg.th_GreenLantern80CGC96OW-WPlr.jpg.th_GreenLantern81CGC96WPlr.jpg.

th_GreenLantern82CGC92WP.jpg.th_GreenLantern83CGC96WPlr.jpg.th_GreenLantern86CGC96WPlr.jpg.th_GreenLantern89CGC96WPlr.jpg

Happy Father's Day!!

Here is a collection of pictures of my children, taken year after year in the same place. Watch them grow; love them and teach them how to live in the world around them. Its important to me to teach them to respect the rights and property of others as they would want others to respect theirs.

6624a153-2.jpg

18c89c5a.jpg

3638b9d4.jpg

3a40f665.jpg

b207e453.jpg

f0a681cc.jpg

just a refresher....

Action Comics

th_ACTIONCOMICS356CGC96OW-WPlr.jpg.th_ACTIONCOMICS358CGC96OW-WPlr.jpg.th_ActionComics361CGC96OWlr.jpg.th_ActionComics362CGC94OW-WP.jpg.th_ACTIONCOMICS363CGC96OW-WPlr.jpg.th_ACTIONCOMICS364CGC96OWlr.jpg.

th_787d8651.jpg.th_ActionCOmics367CGC96OW-WPlr.jpg.th_ActionCOMICS370CGC96C-OWlr.jpg.th_ACTIONCOMICS371CGC96WPlr.jpg.th_ActionCOMICS372CGC96OWlr.jpg.th_ActionComics374CGC94OWlr.jpg.

th_ACTIONCOMICS378CGC94WPlr.jpg.th_ActionComics398CGC96OW-WPlr.jpg.th_ActionComics399CGC98WPlr.jpg.th_ActionComics400CGC98WPlr.jpg.th_ActionCOMICS402CGC96OW-WPlr.jpg.th_ActionComics404CGC98OW-WPlr.jpg.

th_ActionCOMICS405CGC98WPlr.jpg.th_ActionCOMICS419CGC98WPlr.jpg.th_de0af716.jpg

Detective Comics

th_DetectiveComics370.jpg.th_DetectiveComics372.jpg.th_DetectiveComics385.jpg.th_DetectiveComics391CGC96WPMass.jpg.th_DetectiveComics392.jpg.th_DetectiveComics394.jpg.

th_DetectiveComics396.jpg.th_DetectiveComics399.jpg.th_DetectiveComics400.jpg.th_6cf22124.jpg.th_DetectiveComics403.jpg.th_DetectiveComics404CGC94SWP.jpg.

th_DetectiveComics406CGC94OW-WPlr.jpg.th_a73d4a78.jpg.th_DetectiveComics408.jpg.th_Detective41096.jpg.th_DetectiveComics412.jpg.th_DetectiveComics413.jpg.

th_DetectiveComics414.jpg.th_DetectiveComics415.jpg.th_DetectiveComics416.jpg.th_DetectiveComics419.jpg.th_DetectiveComics421CGC98WPlr.jpg

Green Lanterns...

th_GreenLantern63CGC94OW-wplr.jpg.th_GreenLantern77CGC96WPlr.jpg.th_GreenLantern78CGC96OW-WPlr.jpg.th_GreenLantern79CGC94OW-WPlr.jpg.th_GreenLantern80CGC96OW-WPlr.jpg.th_GreenLantern81CGC96WPlr.jpg.

th_GreenLantern82CGC92WP.jpg.th_GreenLantern83CGC96WPlr.jpg.th_GreenLantern86CGC96WPlr.jpg.th_GreenLantern89CGC96WPlr.jpg

the Phantom Stranger

th_PhantomStranger3CGC96WP.jpg.th_PhantomStranger6CGC96OW-WPlr.jpg.th_PhantomStranger7CGC94OWlr.jpg.th_PhantomStranger8CGC94OW-WP.jpg.th_1856f2f5.jpg.th_PhantomStranger11CGC96OWlr.jpg.

th_442fd3e0.jpg.th_4efc1ce0.jpg.th_PHANTOMSTRANGER14CGC98lr.jpg.th_PhantomStranger16CGC96WPlr.jpg.th_PHANTOMSTRANGER17CGC98WPlr.jpg.th_PhantomStranger18CGC98OW-WPlr.jpg

Jimmy and Lois

th_JimmyOlsen109CGC96OWlr.jpg.th_JimmyOlsen110CGC96OWlr.jpg.th_083e6f51.jpg.th_JimmyOlsen118CGC96OW-WPlr.jpg.th_JimmyOlsen134CGC98OW-WPlr.jpg.th_304ae475.jpg.

th_JimmyOlsen136CGC98OW-WPlr.jpg.th_JimmyOlsen148CGC96OW-WPlr.jpg.

th_LoisLane84CGC96OW-WPlr.jpg.th_LoisLane85CGC96OW-WPlr.jpg.th_LoisLane88CGC94OW-WPlr.jpg.th_LoisLane89CGC94OW-WPlr.jpg.th_LoisLane91CGC96WPlr.jpg

Superboy

th_Superboy143CGC98OW-WPlr.jpg.th_0af1092c.jpg.th_Superboy148CGC85WP.jpg.th_Superboy149CGC90OW.jpg.th_Superboy150CGC94OW-WPrl.jpg.th_ca2b8868.jpg.

th_Superboy153CGC94OW-WPlr.jpg.th_Superboy155CGC94WPlr.jpg.th_Superboy159CGC96OW-WP.jpg.th_206bc86a.jpg .th_Superboy161CGC98WPlr.jpg.th_Superboy163CGC92OW-WP.jpg.

th_b7da4552.jpg.th_SUperboy166CGC96OWlr.jpg.th_c1c74f58.jpg.th_Superboy172CGC98OW-WPlr.jpg.th_Superboy173CGC98OW-WPlr.jpgth_Superboy176CGC96WPlr.jpg.

th_Superboy178CGC96WPlr.jpg. raw... th_168-1.jpg

Superman

th_2f28f8af.jpg.th_Superman205CGC96OW-WP.jpg.th_Superman206CGC96OW-WPlr.jpg.th_Superman213CGC96.jpg.th_SUPERMAN215CGC96OWlr.jpg.th_Superman219CGC94OW-WPlr.jpg.

th_Superman233CGC96WPlr.jpg.th_SUPERMAN234CGC96WPlr.jpg.th_SUPERMAN235CGC96WPlr.jpg.th_Superman236CGC96OW-WP.jpg.th_Superman237CGC98OWlr.jpg.th_Superman240CGC98WPlr.jpg.

th_Superman242CGC96OWlr.jpg.th_Superman243CGC98OW-WPlr.jpg.th_Superman249CGC96OWlr.jpg.th_Superman250CGC96OW-WPlr.jpg.th_Superman251CGC96WPlr.jpg.th_Superman252CGC94.jpg.

th_Superman254CGC96OW-WP.jpgth_Superman263CGC98OW-WPlr.jpg.th_Superman308CGC96OWlr.jpg.th_Superman313CGC96WPlr.jpgth_Superman317CGC96OW-WPlr.jpg

Tomahawk

th_Tomahawk117CGC94WPlr.jpg.th_TOMAHAWK118CGC96OW-WPlr.jpg.th_TOMAHAWK119CGC94OWlr.jpg.th_fb3eaea0.jpg.th_Tomahawk125CGC94OW-WPlr.jpg.th_Tomahawk126CGC94OW-WPlr.jpg.

th_TOMAHAWK127CGC94OW-WPOAKLANDlr.jpg.th_TOMAHAWK128CGC96WPlr.jpg.th_TOMAHAWK129CGC96OW-WPlr.jpg.th_Tomahawk130CGC94OW-WPlr.jpg

the Spectre

th_Spectre2CGC96WPlr.jpg.th_Spectre3CGC98WPlr.jpg.th_Spectre4CGC96OW-WP.jpg.th_Spectre5CGC94OW.jpg

I have a new addiction........OA!! :banana:

But it is not the traditional OA; comic pages, covers, re-creations, it is sketches done primarily at conventions. I think this new avenue is a fantastic way for us lesser mortals to own work done by artists. With the outbreak of SS "sketch" series we have been able to obtain material from artists directly for a very low cost. There are several board members that run the convention circuit gathering sketches for personal and retail markets; this work varies in detail, scope and effort but returns something to hold and treasure as OA. I have become hooked. There are currently 8,000+ on E-Bay right now :o

I could see, if I had the time, going to a con and getting as many artists as I could to do a sketch based on one idea. I have a thing for Wonder Woman and Supergirl. I would like to commision as many artists as I could at one con to draw Wonder Woman. Not only could I get a lot of cool work, but the variety and variations on the theme would be priceless to examine. And I understand that there will be a glut soon as there are far too many sketches for available buyers and the market will go through a growing period, but I'll deal with that when it comes.

Below are three forms of this convention work being done. A SS sketch by Grell, a very quick and inexpensive sketch done at Heroes, and last we have a larger more detailed (more $$$) piece that leaves me speechless. I have two more simple pieces in the mail as well.

My first strike:

4843380a.jpg

second pick:

73ee139e.jpg

and I just opened this one in my office and it is more incredible than I could imagine!!

e66ceade.jpg

Is that Adam Strange done by Ivan Reis? It is awesome. Don't listen to the fools who tell you to ink/color it.

yes sir! ...and it is 14" x 17"!!! no ink or color; I love the simple graphite.

Happy Independence Day

On July 2, 1776 a group of men representing 13 colonies gathered in a room in Philadelphia. After months of meetings as the Continental Congress, they finally got a unanimous decision to declare independence. New York abstained. Pennsylvania voted for it 3 to 2 with much contention between delegates but a firm understanding of the need for Congress to speak with one voice. So it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson had written the first draft. An incredible document at first was then worked upon by the delegates to be edited to fully express the concerns of all. The very first draft included a paragraph condemning the King for creating slavery and its trade, for fostering it along. This was removed. In what can only be described as ingrained learned responses to situations, Jefferson held at one time 200 slaves and expanses of land and plantations. He himself was born into a family with slaves, raised and grown at the hands of slaves and continued to prosper at their labor and liberty. One would surely like to hear his explanation if this hypocrisy.

The use of the word Tyrant in referring to the King was left in the declaration, much to the disdain of a few. Perhaps it was allowed for the effect of the word and its ability to instill anger in the colonists. A tag word for the coming fight.

Most interesting to me was the edit of what is perhaps the most famous part or phrase of the document. The original words were "We hold these truths to be sacred and undeniable". This was later changed to read, "We hold these truths to be self-evident"; a far more powerful wording with the same meaning.

None the less, it was on this date that these men chosen by their colonies would send this land into what has now become the United States. By signing that paper each man was fully aware that they were signing their death sentence should things go wrong. They were willing and so believed in their cause to put their life on the line so that they would be free. This was the birth of a nation. To them I give thanks and gratitude for fostering the idea that a nation should be first and for most for the people, of the people and by the people. Rights were not handed down by the government but were instead fully given and earned from the creator at birth. For the first time, the government was not granting people their rights and liberty; the people had them to begin with; there were no laws required to grant them. The government was only there to enforce these rights and ensure that liberty was maintained.

God Bless America

:luhv:

Happy Independence Day

To these men, I am thankful that they could see what could be from what was. They signed their name to what could very well have become thier death sentence; treason was not looked upon highly.

We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by the Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States; that they are Absolved from all Allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain, is and ought to be totally dissolved; and that as Free and Independent States, they have full Power to levy War, conclude Peace, contract Alliances, establish Commerce, and to do all other Acts and Things which Independent States may of right do. And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

The signers of the Declaration represented the new states as follows:

New Hampshire: Josiah Bartlett, William Whipple, Matthew Thornton

Massachusetts: John Hancock, Samual Adams, John Adams, Robert Treat Paine, Elbridge Gerry

Rhode Island: Stephen Hopkins, William Ellery

Connecticut: Roger Sherman, Samuel Huntington, William Williams, Oliver Wolcott

New York: William Floyd, Philip Livingston, Francis Lewis, Lewis Morris

New Jersey: Richard Stockton, John Witherspoon, Francis Hopkinson, John Hart, Abraham Clark

Pennsylvania: Robert Morris, Benjamin Rush, Benjamin Franklin, John Morton, George Clymer, James Smith, George Taylor, James Wilson, George Ross

Delaware: Caesar Rodney, George Read, Thomas McKean

Maryland: Samuel Chase, William Paca, Thomas Stone, Charles Carroll of Carrollton

Virginia: George Wythe, Richard Henry Lee, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Harrison, Thomas Nelson, Jr., Francis Lightfoot Lee, Carter Braxton

North Carolina: William Hooper, Joseph Hewes, John Penn

South Carolina: Edward Rutledge, Thomas Heyward, Jr., Thomas Lynch, Jr., Arthur Middleton

Georgia: Button Gwinnett, Lyman Hall, George Walton