• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC, Dave Sim & Paradise Comics Announce "Own A Piece of Cerebus 300" Promotion.

27 posts in this topic

It's never easy figuring out the cross-border financial politics of charitable donations, but we are definitely interested in making this more of an incentive as the auction will be available to all buyers (US, Canada & International).

If we can find a managable way to make this purchase a write-off for Dave and the buyer then we will.

Kev

Seems to mean Sim has potentially 10 hi-grade Cerebus #1's & 10 vg copies to flood the market with.

Since his ex-wife also has a further 10 high grade copies of issue #1, I think this could put a damper on any collectors holding high grade early issues of Cerebus. On the other hand, it could also be a shot in the arm, but ONLY if all of the Sim copies go for big dollars. confused-smiley-013.gif

Not sure if there are enough Cerebus collectors willing to spend big money to absorb all 20 high grade copies. EC's are easier since they have only 12 Gaines file copies along with being a lot more popular in the general marketplace.

Hey I agree with you I think it could reach well above 6k, but I think that much is a certainty. It depends partly on how nice the #1s really are though. If they are 7.5s it will be much different than if they are 9.4s sumo.gif

Since his ex-wife also has a further 10 high grade copies of issue #1, I think this could put a damper on any collectors holding high grade early issues of Cerebus. On the other hand, it could also be a shot in the arm, but ONLY if all of the Sim copies go for big dollars.

That's assuming that Deni Loubert (a) still has her copies all of these years after the divorce and (b) if she has them that she decides to sell them in the near future.

Another thing to consider is that there were only 2000 copies of Cerebus 1 printed in 1977. Rumor is that 400 were returned for credit with Preney and a higher quantity of #2 printed. We'll try to find out if that is true or not, but considering the way people treat indie books they buy at cons the days, I find it hard to believe that there is more than half of that print run that has survived out there - and those that have are in the VG-F range. With the interest collectors have in obtaining a copy of this truly scarce KEY bronze #1, even VG copies fetch premium prices.

So even if there are 20 high grade copies out there - and we don't know what high grade is for Cerebus #1 - this is an unknown factor at this point. But let's say there are 20 copies out there that COULD potentially grade between 9.0 and 9.8, then that's still a VERY low number compared to the other bronze age keys.

Then there's the file copy factor - the other 10 don't qualify as file copies because they were removed from the publisher's files. These 10 copies of Dave's would be the indie equivalent of the Stan Lee File Copies sold by Heritage a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, Gaines File Copies (which I don't think are recognized by CGC due to authentication issues) have changed hands since they were removed from Gaines' files for sale). These have some "extra" value because they are coming directly from Sim, the creator and publisher, and they are being placed in the tamper-proof container, so they can always be verified as Pedigree books.

Kev

I think that the Gaines File Copies are recognized by CGC - don't they come with certificates?

On the subject of the #1, my ambition, before learning of the Sim File Copies, was to own a CGC 8.0. The owning of a Sim File Copy of #1 has obviously replaced that, but I suspect it will be owning #10 in order of grade. THE best copy will go for an insane price, and I am not at a point in my life where I am willing to sell my daughter or one of my organs to pay for it.

What will be interesting, as stated many times on these boards, is the level of interest in the book on completion, as the most likely outcome previously was reprint hell (and likley lower prices). The File Copies have the potential to change that to some degree, being bona fide collectibles, but their impact is still in doubt. To have File Copies of all 300 (or 150 I recall) issues may lessen their impact.

Oh, and shameless plug, I will be selling a complete set of 1 to 300 next month, just as soon as I can get my grubby mitts on #300.

Re: Gaines

Not sure, I thought I was around at Paradise when someone was told that their Gaines file copies wouldn't be noted as such on the label due to the possibility of certificate duplication.

I may be completely wrong. Steve? Paul?

Kev