• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DOUBLES: Doppelgangers, Mirrored Motifs, Before/After, & Total Plagiarism

196 posts in this topic

YOU'RE COCONUTS: Following in the wholesome theme of the previous images, here are some scenes that show Superman's advanced abilities with his coconuts. Note Supe's impressive talent at squirting milky-white juice into Lois's welcoming receptacle.

doubles-superman-coconuts.jpg

RISQUE SCENE, KINDA: Attractive woman in black clothing? Check. Sitting on a rectangular surface? Check. Left-aligned and facing right? Check. In sexy shoes? Check. And legs spread wide apart? Check. While a water leak occurs nearby? Check. Catching the attention of a man in plaid? Check. And is there a man holding a possibly phallic tool? Check. (Disclaimer: These covers are completely innocent and there's nothing subversive going on here whatsoever, as is the case with all other golden-age comic covers. Honest.)

doubles-legspread.jpg

BEFORE AND AFTER: What happened to her head?

This is reminiscent of the two comics that started this thread (Wonder #15 and Startling #49) in that the two women's bodies appear to be in identical poses. Naturally they're also wearing red dresses.

doubles-murders.jpg

These are two of the most brutally violent crime comics of the pre-code era. The stories in "Who's Next?" are one gruesome serial-killer murder after another, always with a blond female victim. It's very easy to imagine both comics inspiring angry letters from concerned mothers, and ending up in the bonfires of the anti-comics craze.

BEFORE AND AFTER: ROLLER-COASTER LOVE -- I posted the Shock SS cover earlier alongside another comic. But I think it makes a great twosome with this Cindy cover, telling a whimsical two-panel story. (The female's green dress, and both characters' hair colors, even match.)

doubles-rollercoaster2.jpg

BEFORE AND AFTER -- OOPS! I LEFT MY ARM IN THE SUBWAY...

In the first panel of this two-part story, we see Sun Girl in a traincar, looking very bored as everybody ignores her. In the 2nd panel, Sun Girl has left her detachable arm on the train to finally get a reaction out of her fellow passengers. (Note to Sun Girl: Try an exfoliant.)

doubles-trainarm.jpg

BEFORE AND AFTER: "SLAP A JAP -- THEN COVER HIM IN PAPER!"

The left comic has one of my favorite Action Comics covers, with its cool printing-press background and the hilariously offensive "Slap a Jap!" image -- kinda looks like Mickey Rooney in "Breakfast at Tiffany's," doesn't it?

As with many other Superman comics, if you acquire Action Comics #58, you're rather obligated to try for Action Comics #86, which follows a perfect before-and-after progression, and features the same Japanese man from the same angle with the same glasses and the same flying-off hat.

doubles-slapajap.jpg

This is the final image for this gallery today. I hope you enjoyed it! I will occasionally come in here to add other "doubles" that I put together or come across. (Undoubtedly there will be "triples" and "quadruples" as well.)

I strongly encourage others to add to this gallery/thread -- whether you know of two covers that are similar, or even if the covers are pretty different but have an interesting theme, progression, or juxtaposition.

--------

CHESLER COMICS -- SAME SCENE, DIFFERENT ANGLE: Only the hero's costume is different.

doubles-gravefall.jpg

I almost bought copies of both these books in MN last weekend

doubles-title.jpg

I'm starting a thread about golden-age comic books that fit into a duo somehow. They might work from the same theme/motif, one might be copying the other, they might have an amusing before-and-after contrast, be mirror images or visually echo each other, be of a piece stylistically, or otherwise look good next to each other...

I am going to post several dozen "double" images that I've been accumulating over time, whenever I see cover art online that I find compelling. I've put some effort into placing the comic covers side-by-side so you can really compare them. I hope you enjoy the gallery. (Note: I've occasionally cheated and put together 3, 4, or more comics. Or cheated by adding in pulp or paperback covers.) I'll no doubt add more doubles in the future.

You are invited to add your own submissions whenever you come across two comic books that, for whatever reason, belong together. Please participate!

Great idea for a thread. Comic book artists had to draw a lot in order to make a living so there's plenty more out there. I'll try to scrounge up a few this weekend.

Thanks for taking the time to present and comment on some many examples! (worship)