• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DOUBLES: Doppelgangers, Mirrored Motifs, Before/After, & Total Plagiarism

196 posts in this topic

Wow, you've been doing some serious thinking :) Nice thread.. how about a romance rip off...

TR43.jpg

112264.jpg

Good detective work on uncovering this swipe. Finding an anonymous Charlton romance that copies a Baker classic couldn't have been easy.

archiebook095sm.jpgarchiebook096sm.jpg

These are funny. In this one, they managed to make both women less sexy with just a few changes: Veronica no longer has the tight, horizontally lined top, hot shorts and neck choker -- instead, she looks like a nun! (Or I guess '60s mod instead of '50s vixen.) Betty looks far less ravished, no longer gazing upward euphorically, and without the swirls of disorientation, and no kinky ankle strap. Dang that Comics Code!

You could probably devote an entire thread of Doppelgangers just to Fiction House

Nice addition with the Jumbo 82. Of all the F.H. comics, Jumbo #82 is the only one where the woman's butt is centered in the composition. (I didn't notice this -- it was pointed out by a friend of mine whose Fiction House collection count is edging toward 150.)

Also nice job with the Matt Baker classroom comics. As with the Archies, it appears the post-code artists did a lot of "borrowing" from their pre-code predecessors.

Of all the F.H. comics, Jumbo #82 is the only one where the woman's butt is centered in the composition.

It shows how out of touch Overstreet is that his Guide makes no mention of this important aspect of this issue. rantrant

I didn't notice this -- it was pointed out by a friend of mine whose Fiction House collection count is edging toward 150

We believe you. :eyeroll:

Wonderful thread, Doohickamabob. You must have a heck of a visual memory. :applause:

Note to self: Don't ever play the game Concentration with Doohickamabob. :gossip:

Here are a few more pulp / comic combos.

popular_19230507.jpgnewadventure24.jpg

acegman193711.jpgdaringmystery.jpg

spider194002.jpg401051.jpg