• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DOUBLES: Doppelgangers, Mirrored Motifs, Before/After, & Total Plagiarism

196 posts in this topic

:o

How did I miss this thread the first time around?

Great thread Doohikamabob. (worship)

The Planet and the Puncher

Excellent find! You know, those are two of my favorites from each title (and both on my want-list, though I had the Planet a while ago and stupidly sold it) -- and yet I never made the connection. Walter Johnson did the Cow Puncher, right? He has a history of borrowing images from Fiction House covers.

Excellent find! You know, those are two of my favorites from each title (and both on my want-list, though I had the Planet a while ago and stupidly sold it) -- and yet I never made the connection. Walter Johnson did the Cow Puncher, right? He has a history of borrowing images from Fiction House covers.

Thanks man. I love finding swipes.

The Planet 52 is one of my favorite covers. If I'm remembering correctly, someone made the connection between those two books in Comics General about a year ago. I think. I don't know, I'm getting long in the tooth.

Walter Johnson,? I couldn't say. I'm not really familiar with his work, but it wouldn't surprise me if he had that history. Everyone was swiping from everyone back then. Robert Webb was a one man wrecking crew.

Johnson was "King of the Swipes".

4661961992_9d0a0eb3c3_z.jpg1625487513_4ed0d94121_z.jpg

Hail to the King!

That's just...wow.

Nice one BB.

Here's a Robert Webb. He'd slightly modify elements of his drawing from the original, but still... eh, you had to crank those pages out somehow. A deadline's a deadline.

106903.jpg.7f42799a5a25e320d15e19e4724ef1f8.jpg

I mentioned it before in the context of Planet Comics (after someone had shown a few swipes from the Planet pulp), but I have to say my enthusiasm for some of the Fiction House stuff in general is dampened the more swipes I see.

Believe me, I know swipes are out there everywhere, but I guess it's just starting to put a different perspective on the line in my mind.

I mentioned it before in the context of Planet Comics (after someone had shown a few swipes from the Planet pulp), but I have to say my enthusiasm for some of the Fiction House stuff in general is dampened the more swipes I see.

Believe me, I know swipes are out there everywhere, but I guess it's just starting to put a different perspective on the line in my mind.

Sounds like you need to read some mid-run Planets to bring back the love (be sure to read the Stardust stories). Or some Sky Girl stories (Matt Baker) from mid-run Wings comics.

Speaking of mirror images, I don't know if Cole gets credit for the True Crime 4 cover but he got credit for the Crush Crime story and panel 5 from the intro page.

5229149933_afd1e85d20_b.jpg5229743782_bb8faf6cb3.jpg

Great catch, that's deep research there.

That story is from True Crime 3. Forgot to mention that. If the True Crime 4 cover isn't by Cole, it must have been a quick decision for someone to make one just like the panel in issue 3. It is mentioned in Overstreet. So I guess it isn't a new discovery. Cole is also given credit for the cover.

L.B. COLE THEMES, PART 1: GROOVY SPACESHIPS

Bonus points to the artist for this Action Comics cover, which has the same spaceship:

doubles-lbcolefly2.jpg

(The artist is Fred Guardineer - sez so right on the cover). :baiting:

Two underground swipes come to mind - I know it's worthless without pictures, but there was a Big Little Book "Mickey Mouse Air Pilot", from which Dan O'Neill swiped the cover for "Air Pirates", except he substituted "dope" for "mail" on the plane. And R. Crumb swiped Ralston's Tom Mix #1 cover for a book whose title escapes me.