• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Rainbow smudge" in the CGC Case

6 posts in this topic

I am not sure how to describe it but it is like an rainbow color oil looking substance in the CGC case. I only seem to notice this when i get back my new submissions. Not sure if any of this is making sense but wondering what it is

thanks

• Administrator

This is an occasional effect produced by the inner and outer cases being in direct contact with one another. The visual effect is similar to oil on a water puddle because of the two plastics. If you gently seperate the two pieces or insert a piece of paper in the side of the case, this should remove this effect. Ultimately it is not anything that is in direct contact with your comic, nor will it affect the comic's condition over time.

I have the same problem with some of my slabs too. I tried inserting a piece of paper in the side of the case, but the case was too tight for the paper to go through the slab to remove the smudge. I'm afraid of breaking the slab too. Any help?

• Administrator

You could either submit it for a reholder or leave it as is. Since it is not harmful and is a natural side-effect of the two plastics coming into contact it will not harm your comic in any way.

Hi,

I noticed this as well. The problem here is this doesn't occur when two pieces of plastic meet. It's where the plastic case meets the book cover. Or maybe there are two layers of plastic that create the case to begin with and I'm just not seeing it right? Should I get it re-done? I just spent about $90 on the whole process and I'm a little concerned about my Daredevil #1.

DD #1 rainbow.jpg

19 hours ago, JamesDW said:

Hi,

I noticed this as well. The problem here is this doesn't occur when two pieces of plastic meet. It's where the plastic case meets the book cover. Or maybe there are two layers of plastic that create the case to begin with and I'm just not seeing it right? Should I get it re-done? I just spent about $90 on the whole process and I'm a little concerned about my Daredevil #1.

DD #1 rainbow.jpg

They're called Newton Rings and there's an entire thread on the subject.