• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Collector's Society Coupon pt 2 posted by lpersky

2 posts in this topic

so i've decided...

the three lucky books were the Hulk 181 that i recently aquired, my copy of Batman 232, and the Amazing Spider-Man 40. i'm thinking they'll grade out as:

Hulk 181 - 9.0

Batman 232 - 8.0

Amazing Spider-Man - 6.0

not really the highest grades of these books but i think they'll be solid additions to the collection until i can afford to purchase upgrades given i'm not a multi-millionaire (yet, hehe).

i sent them out via priority mail on Saturday and they were received by CGC this morning, which was faster than expected. hopefully that will translate to a quick turnaround. as always, i will keep the society updated when the grades post online...

I must admit that...

one of the main reasons i paid the membership was to get the coupon for 3 free gradings... the first time i used my coupon (last year) i don't think i used it too effectively and made a rookie mistake by submitting a modern tier book in the batch of three... this time, i won't make that mistake again.

this time i have a new dilemma though... i have been amassing bronze and silver books all year to use my coupon on but i don't think that they'll acheive the "super high grades" i would desire... i have about 10-12 canidiates, a few lower grade silver age keys and the others are bronze books in the 8.5-9.0 range... is it even worth it to use my coupon on any of these?

i was thinking that i would use the coupon on a combination of three of the following:

tales of suspense #40 (2nd Iron Man) in 2.5

showcase #18 (2nd Adam Strange) in 4.0

X men #97 in 9.2

Amazing Spiderman #136 in 8.5

Amazing Spiderman #40 (1st Goblin origin) in 6.0

Superman #199 (1st Superman/Flash race) in 4.5

Hulk 181 (1st Wolverine) in 9.0... *NOTE* i just bought this one on ebay 15 mins ago and don't have it in my hands just yet but will soon.

maybe i should use the coupon on just the bronze books becuase they'll achieve the higher grades... are the silver books even worth it? Do i really need CGC to tell me that my TOS #40 is a 2.5 when i know darn well, its a 2.5!

then again , i do have other bronze books that will grade in the 9.6 maybe 9.8 range, but they are non key issues of random titles... i don't think they are worth it either?

what a mess...

I understand your dilemna. As, the CS coupons are good for books valued up to 3000, it does not seem worth it for any of the books you mentioned. With the possible exception of the Hulk 181, the books you referenced seem to fit into the Economy tier with a retail cost of 32.00 a book = you would be losing money.

I wish CGC would offer some submission alternatives for the membership fee.

You have a year to submit so I would suggest simply waiting until you can indulge yourself with some expensive purchases.