• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 Triumph Magazine (1st U.K. Superman reprints)
1 1

39 posts in this topic

I believe they are strip reprints (but I could be wrong) and definately not in full color - I believe they are duotone. I found more info on them online:

"A story paper of limited collector interest apart from an unusual run of 21 issues featuring reprints of Superman, the first time the character was published in the UK and only a year after his debut in Action Comics #1, June 1938 (the most valuable American comic book - $40,000 in GD 2.0 up to $600,000 in Near Mint Minus 9.2). The run from #772-793 includes four with a Superman cover appearance. A set sold in the UK in 1994 for £1,500. I remember a San Diego Comicon around the same time had a set stickered at $6,000 but it didn't sell at the show. In June 1996 the first issue of the run #772 (5th Aug 1939 - the one on the right in the illustration) sold for £152 in VG condition with rusty staples and tanning edges. The one on the left is #788 and an example sold on E Bay (Nov 2007) for £107, sold by the inestimable Mr. Stuart Dexter (lindex). In June 2004 a lot including 18 of the issues with 2 (I think) of the Superman covers in Good to Very Good condition sold for £618 at the longest-established (and my favourite!) auction house for UK comics."

They tend to turn up fairly often:

http://compalcomics.com/catalogue/lot63.htm

Not as popular as you'd think really.

I would disagree with you on this point and say that they are actually very rare. Whilst the odd issue here and there do turn up, you rarely (and by rarely i mean 3 times in the last 20 years that i have been looking for them) turn up as a complete set.

Having long ago decided to try to get the whole run i settled for picking up individual issues and after 10 years of searching gave up on getting the complete run. Its usually the same numbers that turn up and the ones with Superman on the covers are not (as people believe) the hardest ones to get (with the exception of the first issue).

When i get home later i will send you the information contained within the British Price Guide for Comics circa 1998 (last edition), which quotes sales of two complete sets with further information. Also if it helps, i remember having a conversation with Malcolm of Compal and Duncan from the British Pice Guide some 15 years ago and they both agreed on an estimated 5-10 complete sets remaining only.

I figured I would bump this up as I have a centerfold from an issue and I would like to get an id on it. I believe only the centerfold and at times the covers had superman content? the one I have is framed and has both staple holes pulled. It is otherwise nice.

Issue would be great and an opinions on the value as well?

supermantriumph.jpg

Thanks

James G

I just purchased a box containing various issues from an overseas auction so I might be able to ID it for you once I get them in-hand. As to value - not sure what a centerfold by iteself would bring but a lot of 14 issues sold this summer at Compal for $772 including the buyers premium.

I figured I would bump this up as I have a centerfold from an issue and I would like to get an id on it. I believe only the centerfold and at times the covers had superman content? the one I have is framed and has both staple holes pulled. It is otherwise nice.

Issue would be great and an opinions on the value as well?

supermantriumph.jpg

Thanks

James G

Your Superman centerfold is from issue 810 of The Triumph. Here is the cover:

triumph810.jpg

The first "appearance" was on the rear cover of #771 advertising the next issue. The first story was in #772 (first cover appearance out of 4 altogether) and ran through #792. Then there was a little break and the "second" series resumed with #807 and ran seven issues through #814. The newspaper then combined with another newspaper weekly so this number was the real end of the "Triumph". The first series reprinted some Zatanna stories as well in a few issues. There were usually 2 to 3 pages for Superman.

The general consensus is that these are scarce to rare and extremely hard to find as a complete set.

The first "appearance" was on the rear cover of #771 advertising the next issue. The first story was in #772 (first cover appearance out of 4 altogether) and ran through #792. Then there was a little break and the "second" series resumed with #807 and ran seven issues through #814. The newspaper then combined with another newspaper weekly so this number was the real end of the "Triumph". The first series reprinted some Zatanna stories as well in a few issues. There were usually 2 to 3 pages for Superman.

The general consensus is that these are scarce to rare and extremely hard to find as a complete set.

Zatanna - Zatarra, surely?

Zatanna - Zatarra, surely?

The Zatarra starts in issue #779 Sep 23rd 1939 and looks to have run up to issue #784. The story that it reprinted was called Death From the Air, does anyone know where that originaly appeared.