• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about Comics and Flea Bombs

48 posts in this topic

Heres a weird one....

we recently found some fleas on my weimaraner and want to bomb the house to make sure we get everything killed that may be in the house..

I keep my collection in a closet.

Should i remove my books from the house while we set of the bomb? It would be a hassle to move them all twice which is why im asking. Can the flea bomb stuff affect my books at all?

I had a cat that brought in feas. I tried everything, but it was more 'manage' than the 'nuke once and forever' riddance I wanted. Until...

Off the shelf, cheap-o "Raid" in a purple can. It's not a fog. You turn it upside down and sorta swing your arm while lightly misting the carpet (with emphasis on baseboard areas). Do a room, walk out and let it dry a short time. I didn't bother with closets.

Never saw another flea. Not a single one. :cloud9: "Raid" was some truly serious :censored:. (thumbs u

I know it doesn't answer you question about fogging, other than you may not have to.

04650001651_450x450_a.jpg

Try a flea collar.

Fleas can't live off of an animal for long, and they dislike humans, not to mention a bath will get rid of the ones on people.

I would't worry about the house being infested, as long as it's clean, you shouldn't need to poison yourself with pesticides. (shrug)

My cat gets a shot every spring. Never had fleas since.

My cat Marty's emphysemic cough has been annoying the heck out of me lately..also the way he re-reads the Anne Frank diary over and over again, for "the Suspence"...She freakin dies!!!..Geez Marty!

I seriously doubt that any insecticide treatment of the house will damage comic books.

Public Service Announcement:

On the other hand, most flea infestations can be controlled by treating household pets with a quality product such as Frontline, Advantage or Capstar.

Fleas have to take a blood meal from an animal in order to reproduce. If they are unable to do so, they will not reproduce. Treating pets in the household should accomplish this.

In general, treating all household pets, washing their bedding and vacuuming carpeting, etc. (being sure to throw out the vacuum bag afterward) is sufficient to take care of most flea problems.

End PSA

Heres a weird one....

we recently found some fleas on my weimaraner and want to bomb the house to make sure we get everything killed that may be in the house..

Should i remove my books from the house while we set of the bomb? It would be a hassle to move them all twice which is why im asking. Can the flea bomb stuff affect my books at all?

My indoor cat got fleas a few years back. I had to bomb twice and they were everywhere. Just to let you know, they can survive in lava form for up to 2 years which normally they just tuck away in boxes. I keep my closets opened to bomb and did find them in shoe boxes. Nothing is safe and they do wander off of your pet. It all depends on how bad your animal is infected. I suggest walking around your house with white socks and see if any jump on you. Sounds gross but they are attracted to white for some reason. While researching this problem, they suggest vaccuming daily to "wake" any lava.

Good luck.

While researching this problem, they suggest vaccuming daily to "wake" any lava.

Would setting the alarm clock do the same thing? (shrug)

Somewhat on topic, how does one get rid of ants? I have noticed a lot lately in the backroom of my place. any recommendations on how get rid of them safely? I do have two children under nine. I like to get rid of the ants but in a safeway.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Just to let you know, they can survive in lava form for up to 2 years which normally they just tuck away in boxes. While researching this problem, they suggest vaccuming daily to "wake" any lava.

I thought the only way to kill a lava flea was to throw it back into the fires of Mount Doom from whence it came.

Heres a weird one....

Being an exterminator I might know a little about this subject.

First thing is vacume your carpet 24 hrs. prior to using the foggers, get rid of the vacume bag.take your pets to get flea baths prior to fogging,then set the foggers off. Re-vacume the house 24 hours after and get rid of the vacume bag again.If your concerned about your comics,put towels over them so the fogger does'nt come in contact with them.

I had a serious flea problem once. I flea bombed like crazy 5-6 bombs....a week later I had more fleas. The only thing I found that worked was a generic version of The Advantage type stuff I bought at my local grocery store.... "gold" something or other. It was about $10 for 3 months treatment. A liquid you put on the cats neck. The next morning when I woke up where the cat was sleeping was at least 30 dead fleas on the ground. That and plenty of vacuming I haven't had them since. The bombs and sprays and powders did not work for me. I am a clean freak so It was a nightmare having fleas! Had no issues with my comics when I bombed. They are pesky buggers that multiply like crazy! One will lead to 100 in no time.

Somewhat on topic, how does one get rid of ants? I have noticed a lot lately in the backroom of my place. any recommendations on how get rid of them safely? I do have two children under nine. I like to get rid of the ants but in a safeway.

Here is the best advice "Get a pest control professional" Every ant spray in stores are repellents,if you spray the exterior of your home you will trap them in the wall.Hence they are repelled by the spray,once that happens they can only go one way,in your house.If you spray at all,spray the baseboards inside your home to repel them from coming inside.Keep your kids and pets out of the home for an hour after to be safe when you spray anything. 2c

I had a serious flea problem once. I flea bombed like crazy 5-6 bombs....a week later I had more fleas. The only thing I found that worked was a generic version of The Advantage type stuff I bought at my local grocery store.... "gold" something or other. It was about $10 for 3 months treatment. A liquid you put on the cats neck. The next morning when I woke up where the cat was sleeping was at least 30 dead fleas on the ground. That and plenty of vacuming I haven't had them since. The bombs and sprays and powders did not work for me. I am a clean freak so It was a nightmare having fleas! Had no issues with my comics when I bombed. They are pesky buggers that multiply like crazy! One will lead to 100 in no time.

The reason you had more fleas is once you spray/bomb the eggs that are attached to the carpet prematurely hatch due to the pesticide.This is why I recommend you vacume 24 hrs. after you spray to vacume up any fleas that have hatched.Then get rid of the vacume bag in the trash.

I don't know what kind of ants you have, but Argentine Ants are a common problem in SoCal.

They march along a pheromone trail, looking for food and water, and are insanely difficult to get rid of.

The best product I've found is Terro, a clear liquid goop that they eat and take back to the colony.

It takes repeated applications over a week or so to really do the job, and you'll probably still have an annual invasion, but anything else I tried , including professional treatment didn't work as well.

An easy way to kill an existing trail is to spray it with Windex (or any ammonia based cleanser) - it kills the ants instantly and destroys the pheromones.

The ant problems I have seen in the midwest. The ants live outside in a nest, often in a tree or under ground. They find a way into the home through the foundation area. They then repeat the trail with the rest of the ants as they find food in the home. They carry the food back outside to the nest. So you should put a granular pesticide around the home as they will not want to cross the poison line. I can see a problem of trapping them in the home, maybe try this at night while they are sleeping. If you are not sure they sleep at night, maybe write a note and see if they can give you a specific answer, good luck

I don't know what kind of ants you have, but Argentine Ants are a common problem in SoCal.

They march along a pheromone trail, looking for food and water, and are insanely difficult to get rid of.

The best product I've found is Terro, a clear liquid goop that they eat and take back to the colony.

It takes repeated applications over a week or so to really do the job, and you'll probably still have an annual invasion, but anything else I tried , including professional treatment didn't work as well.

An easy way to kill an existing trail is to spray it with Windex (or any ammonia based cleanser) - it kills the ants instantly and destroys the pheromones.

I think the Terro stuff is mostly boric acid or one of it's derivatives. It interferes with the development of chitin and disrupts the colony. It is the best thing for sweet ants that I get every spring. It is way better than those other bait traps that are out there. Boric acid is harmless to pets and children so it is a better product for households.