• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone ever sell to mycomicshop.com?

130 posts in this topic

I sent in several batches of modern books 3-4 years ago, less than 100 comics, I thought there grading based on condition was very tough as I was sending in untouched publisher stock of Top Cow books. A lot of books got downgraded to very fine, yet when I ordered near mint books from them, many looked like very fine. They were paying what I was selling them for, so I figured I would try a few as I had sealed cases of the books. I just built up a few hundred in trade value. I do know of some people who have gotten over 10,000.00 in trade value from them and they were impressed with there prices, they were sending in 60's and 70's comics. The guy would buy out booths at street flea markets for like $500.00, then send virtually all of them in to mycomicshop and would get several thousand dollars worth of trade value. Then he would buy particular books he wanted for his collection.

Thats what I'm concerned about. I have a lot of 9.0-9.4 books that they offer good money on, but if they knock them down to 8.5s, I don't want to sell for what they offer.

I sold a bunch of moderns about a year and a half ago. They bought a lot, but some they said were VF+ and wanted to give me less, so I just paid to have them sent back.

They seem to offer decent prices on a lot of very slow moving stuff. Anyone have any experiance selling or trading with them?

If your getting rid of $10 dollar and under books they help, you got to think of all the time and separate shipping ebay and seller fees they are saving you with taking books like that. Instead of me wasting hours making little or no pay Ebay auctions, you just send the books to them and get credit for something decent. I recommend them for slow stuff like that. I really have never traded them anything of big value,someone else might be able to chime in on those kind of books.

I sent in several batches of modern books 3-4 years ago, less than 100 comics, I thought there grading based on condition was very tough as I was sending in untouched publisher stock of Top Cow books. A lot of books got downgraded to very fine, yet when I ordered near mint books from them, many looked like very fine.

That's my experience as well - their grading scale when buying is a lot harsher than the one they use when selling.

I used them a few times it is good to drop some drek and doubles I may get from time to time it really is a good way to keep my focus and not have to worry about trying to sell it piece by piece. I will say on eighties and newer stuff there is a good chance your nm is going to be a VF. And they always have new stock coming in so there is a good chance you'll find something you want.

One man's drek is another man's dream

Was Jonah Hex ever interesting, even as a comic book? :shrug:

I traded in a lot of unwanted books with them. I've had the same experiance of them grading rather tight. I like thier service and have used it to get credit and purchase books. If your books are on the line for large drops in value, they might not be your best bet, but if you have a lot of books to trade in that you no longer want, then they are a good bet in my book

I have a friend that sells overstock to them. He says it is common practice to down grade the issues that he is selling to them(brand new books, and he is an extremely tight grader), but when he gets books from them, it tends to go the other way.

I personally have limited experience with them. Buddy used to buy modern stuff from me from my ebay store years ago and I never had any problems.

I'll be happy to answer any questions here or via PM.

We always sell a book at the same grade we assigned when buying it. Always. You can see the books we've recently added to our inventory here:

http://www.mycomicshop.com/restocked

You can locate a book you've recently sold to us on this page and confirm for yourself that it's listed at the same grade we assigned when buying it from you.

That's not to say you couldn't come up with examples of a book we sold as NM that we would grade lower if we bought it. We're like CGC or any other grader in that we're not 100% infallible and consistent. But I can guarantee you we NEVER sell a book at a higher grade than we assigned when buying it. If we pay you for a VF, that book will be listed and sold as VF. Most sellers are very happy with our grading (see our feedback from sellers) and return to us again and again with books to sell.

The prices we pay for books are sensitive to the stock we have at different grades. So for some modern era comics, if we're very solidly stocked in VF but need more NM, there may be a pretty big drop-off in the price we'll pay between NM and VF. If you see such a drop and only want to sell your comic for the NM price, you should be confident that the comic is NM before sending it in.

If you haven't sold to us before, take a look at our want list to see what we're paying for books that you want to sell. If you like the prices, try us out with a small test transaction, maybe 20 or 30 comics. See how it goes. If you like the results, you can sell more to us. If not, you can have any downgraded books returned to you for the cost of return shipping (usually $4.50, possibly more if insurance is needed or the shipment is large).

I don't think any other buyer offers this level of transparency and control. Before you ship anything to us, you know how much we'll pay, in every grade, for the over 190,000 comics on our want list. After we receive your comics, you know how we graded your books, and if you don't like what we're paying for a comic because we graded it lower than you did, you can easily have the comic returned.

We feel like we're the best option for selling many of your comics, especially those not expensive enough to merit the time and labor investment of selling them individually on eBay or the boards.

If you have any feedback on our buying system--questions you have, things that need to be made clearer, or ways we could make it better, I'd love to hear it. Our next big upgrade will be the addition of a consignment service, which should be out this month.

I sent in several batches of modern books 3-4 years ago, less than 100 comics, I thought there grading based on condition was very tough as I was sending in untouched publisher stock of Top Cow books. A lot of books got downgraded to very fine, yet when I ordered near mint books from them, many looked like very fine.

That's my experience as well - their grading scale when buying is a lot harsher than the one they use when selling.

Although I was an off-again, on-again fan of Mycomicshop, after my last two orders earlier this year I stopped completely buying from them.

Sent me NM books that were really 8.0s, and asked that I mail them back in for replacements. The replacements were 8.5/9.0s. And that Beth is a horror on the phone as the manager of Customer Service. If you get Nathan though, things seem to go much smoother.

I can only imagine what the experience is selling/trading with them.