• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone ever sell to mycomicshop.com?

130 posts in this topic

Some sellers who feel very confident in their grading abilities get offended if we grade something lower than they did. If we downgrade something, it's not personal, and it's not a knock on the seller's abilities. We are a business, and we grade by OUR standards, not according to the grading of each individual seller who chooses to offer something to us for sale. If you don't like how we graded it, we'll return it to you, it's as simple as that.

That's fine & well, but the problem is that you don't grade by your standards when you're selling.

If I bought 100 "NM" books from your site and tried to sell them back to you, I can guarantee you that no more than half would be accepted as being NM - saying that you employ the same grading across the board just isn't true.

(thumbs u

That is pretty much what I have heard from a number of trusted sources.

That's not to say you couldn't come up with examples of a book we sold as NM that we would grade lower if we bought it. We're like CGC or any other grader in that we're not 100% infallible and consistent.

Conan, you seem like a really level-headed, caring person. I do appreciate that.

But the grading of mycomicshop is inconsistent. From past history, and knowing I just wanted one 9.4 copy of Starslayer 10, I ordered three just to be safe. Every copy was covered in corner bends, major spine stress lines, and one had a tear across the back cover.

This was my second to last order where I had to deal with customer service. At least when I sent them back and they were only able to replace one book, it was a 9.0, but still nothing close to a 9.2, let alone a 9.4 copy.

Not an expensive book, and not limited in availability. To think not one copy could hit the 9.2/9.4 grade, or even come close, was a shame, though.

I'd rather you have a "reader book" pricing structure and a "definitely graded" pricing structure. At least with the reader book prices, anyone purchasing them knows it is a crapshoot what they get, but those concerned about grading purchase from the definitely graded pool and pay a higher price. I'd be okay with that.

If I bought 100 "NM" books from your site and tried to sell them back to you, I can guarantee you that no more than half would be accepted as being NM - saying that you employ the same grading across the board just isn't true.

Ok, I'll bite. that's because they don't bag and board the comics under $8 when they ship them to you....duh! ;)

I'd rather you have a "reader book" pricing structure and a "definitely graded" pricing structure. At least with the reader book prices, anyone purchasing them knows it is a crapshoot what they get, but those concerned about grading purchase from the definitely graded pool and pay a higher price. I'd be okay with that.

I concur, I personally would love this. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit their current en masse strategy...cost prohibitive to grade on a CGC level.

This is why I go shop with a dealer that grades the way I like... Hey Mr. Bob Storms! coming to Charlotte I hear!!! Shout out to ya!

Would you get this type of reply by another other large comic book selling/buying service? Mile High wont, GCC in Chicago?, Midtown?

Keep in mind you wont change the mind of several on this board. Every large comic book seller is evil in their eyes in one form or another. Capitalism is bad. I have np with the way you have run your business for years and have ordered from you several times. Not saying I agree every time, but after using every large ordering service for back issues I felt most confident using your system.

I think I have sold like 12 books back to you over the years. I was under 3 over 3 and 6 came back the same. Your packing is top notch in my experience and when I have had a problem it was addressed and resolved very quickly I have never gotten that type of service from other large scale buying/selling stores in over 10 years of continually using several to order from.

I think you're painting people with too broad a brush here. I've been buying from Lone Star since 2003, and have every intention of continuing to do so in the future; as far as I'm concerned, they're by far the best of the large online retailers and is the easiest & cheapest way to fill in the holes in a reader collection. I don't consider them evil, nor do I see how capitalism is any way relevant to this discussion.

What I do have a problem with are the inconsistent grading standards - which is a constant annoyance every single time I receive books from Lone Star. Granted, I've never had a problem with returning books, and (as far as I know) I haven't been blocked from buying from them, but seeing that they do have a system in place that allows you to specify the grade of the book that you want (NM, VF, F, etc) & pay accordingly, I fail to see why it's wrong to ask them to get better at giving people what they're supposedly paying for.

Just wanted to chime in here and say that I've sold a lot of miscellaneous comics to mycomicshop over the last year. They've downgraded several, but to my surprise, upgraded quite a few as well. Overall, it's been about break-even.

It's a welcome channel for selling off batches of disparate comics from my collection (versus piecemeal on eBay).

Would you get this type of reply by another other large comic book selling/buying service? Mile High wont, GCC in Chicago?, Midtown?

Keep in mind you wont change the mind of several on this board. Every large comic book seller is evil in their eyes in one form or another. Capitalism is bad. I have np with the way you have run your business for years and have ordered from you several times. Not saying I agree every time, but after using every large ordering service for back issues I felt most confident using your system.

I think I have sold like 12 books back to you over the years. I was under 3 over 3 and 6 came back the same. Your packing is top notch in my experience and when I have had a problem it was addressed and resolved very quickly I have never gotten that type of service from other large scale buying/selling stores in over 10 years of continually using several to order from.

I think you're painting people with too broad a brush here. I've been buying from Lone Star since 2003, and have every intention of continuing to do so in the future; as far as I'm concerned, they're by far the best of the large online retailers and is the easiest & cheapest way to fill in the holes in a reader collection. I don't consider them evil, nor do I see how capitalism is any way relevant to this discussion.

What I do have a problem with are the inconsistent grading standards - which is a constant annoyance every single time I receive books from Lone Star. Granted, I've never had a problem with returning books, and (as far as I know) I haven't been blocked from buying from them, but seeing that they do have a system in place that allows you to specify the grade of the book that you want (NM, VF, F, etc) & pay accordingly, I fail to see why it's wrong to ask them to get better at giving people what they're supposedly paying for.

+100 - I agree with the whole thing (thumbs u

I, too, will continue to purchase from them to fill in my more modern runs/reader collection, but I also really wish they'd get more consistent with their grading.

You may want to block out the MICR code at the bottom of the check. This can be used by someone to conduct identity theft activity.

I'm sure Conan would appreciate it.

Think that's a good idea to post a picture on the internet of their check, complete with bank account, routing number, and signature?

You might want to edit that.

Think that's a good idea to post a picture on the internet of their check, complete with bank account, routing number, and signature?

Very dangerous.

Very dangerous.

And some people can't figure out why they were the victim of identity theft. :makepoint:

doh! Thanks, guys.

Look at the poor CEO at Lifelock. Posted his SSN all over the place to make a point, and now his identity has been stolen over 13 times. Guess he should have signed up with a real identity protection company to watch over his records.

lol

Image saved.

Print me a check for a million dollars.

Make that a billion. hm

Better make that a trillion, money won't buy much after the Obama regime.

^^

doh! Thanks, guys.

Look at the poor CEO at Lifelock. Posted his SSN all over the place to make a point, and now his identity has been stolen over 13 times. Guess he should have signed up with a real identity protection company to watch over his records.

lol

If you were a member of this company between a certain time period you might get compensated moneywise. They are going to court over this and some people will be getting a small compensation in the next year or two.

They seem to offer decent prices on a lot of very slow moving stuff. Anyone have any experiance selling or trading with them?

Thanks for posting this as I forgot that MCS did have a buying section. I had a lot of BA duplicates in VG to Fine condition that did not sell on ebay and traded them to complete 5 series plus nab some trades I was looking for.

The turnaround time was amazing as well. I submitted the list on-line on June 11th and mailed the comics the next day. They reviewed them quickly. While some grades remained unchanged, the split between the lowered and uppered were quite even. The end result was pretty much for the same credit amount and I placed an order which arrived today. Everything looks great. I got an array of books from BA up to MA and the grades are pretty decent. The trades look brand new and they sell those at a discount on their site.

I am very pleased with my transaction however, I just wonder how they can survive offering so much per comic. But I noticed before this transaction and definitely now that their prices seem higher and very uneven. A series with no special issues per say will have one or two issues marked a few bucks higher for no apparent reason.