• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone ever sell to mycomicshop.com?

130 posts in this topic

Few complaints about overgrading? So you dont think the obvious light hearted grading is an issue?

I'm glad to hear you're happy with your dealings with said business, but its obvious that theres alot of people who disagree with the grading standards. Why is that "pretty weak"? Its a pretty pivotal point - if I buy a bunch of "NM" comics, I expect at least some of them to be up to par, I dont think thats an unreasonable expectation at all.

I think its good that people voice their opinions about said business, this way we can narrow down sellers who actually bring merchandise at the quality proclaimed, and avoid the rest.

well, the thread was about SELLING to mycomicshop...there have been other threads about buying from them. someone said something about cheap books not being bagged and boarded...i can totally see something being "NM" when it comes in, getting put in the "NM" section of some long box, sitting there a long time getting bent and bounced as folks go in and out of a box and being VF (or less) when pulled for an order. and if a grader isn't doing the pulling, who is going to check this? i understand bagging and boarding is going to add 5-10 cents to every book (and take up more space) and it will be a problem with $1-$2 books, but this is going to be a problem if not done.

i had no problem with selling my ga daredevils, they actually bumped up the grades on a few of the books i sent. the prices were fair. the only problem i have is the "mail credit" was @ 1/3 of the mailing cost. it cost me $12-13 to mail the books and i got a credit of $3.40

To clarify, we don't claim to pay your entire shipping cost. What we say is "For comics sold via Selling Option #1, Want List Buying, we will pay you a shipping rebate that will cover a portion of your shipping cost, or sometimes even all of your shipping cost. The shipping rebate is the amount we will add to your credit or cash total to compensate for the cost of shipping your comics to us. Shipping rebates are calculated based on the value of each comic. Sellers shipping small quantities of common, inexpensive comics will be responsible for most of the shipping cost. In the case of higher value comics, the shipping cost is split between seller and mycomicshop.com. Sellers sending high dollar comics typically see all their shipping costs paid and, in some cases, may earn a shipping rebate greater than their actual shipping cost."

From http://www.mycomicshop.com/webuycomics/whychooseus#shipping

and

http://www.mycomicshop.com/webuycomics/shippingrebate

I just saw this and wanted to say that I think your line of thought is a little overly optimistic.

For example, I just entered a hypothetical trade of 5 comics with a $2600 trade-in value and the shipping rebate was $7. Unless I'm shipping them uninsured media mail, $7 will not cover the shipping. Uninsured priority mail would be about $7.50 (from my location). Insured priority Mail is $35.00, so your rebate is still a small fraction of the shipping. Similar is true of UPS if you include insurance for your higher $$$ comics.

I think this statement is true:

"Sellers shipping small quantities of common, inexpensive comics will be responsible for most of the shipping cost."

I think for people sending you small quantities of relatively high dollar comics, this statement is somewhat true:

"In the case of higher value comics, the shipping cost is split between seller and mycomicshop.com."

The majority of the shipping still lies with the seller (a 60/40 or 70/30 split).

But unless someone is sending you a single $10,000 book or something (which I rarely ever see MCS trying to sell, only 11 books over $5k on your site), I don't see a situation where this statement is ever true (and doubt that even then, it would be):

"Sellers sending high dollar comics typically see all their shipping costs paid and, in some cases, may earn a shipping rebate greater than their actual shipping cost." Now if someone wants to send their $10,000 uninsured media mail or something, maybe, but that doesn't reflect reality.

I would think that for 99.999% of your customers, this statement would never be true.

I know you are promoting yourself, but you may want to ground your evaluation of the shipping rebate in reality.

All that said, its a little something and often more than you will get anywhere else.

I have never traded anything in .....but my purchases with them have always been very good and I was completely satisfied. One purchase I did return because of an unknow problem and they took it back and refunded my money and shipping too. (thumbs u

"Sellers sending high dollar comics typically see all their shipping costs paid and, in some cases, may earn a shipping rebate greater than their actual shipping cost." Now if someone wants to send their $10,000 uninsured media mail or something, maybe, but that doesn't reflect reality.

I would think that for 99.999% of your customers, this statement would never be true.

I know you are promoting yourself, but you may want to ground your evaluation of the shipping rebate in reality.

The paragraph as written is based on plain shipping costs, without insurance factored in. Your analysis includes insurance. That's all it is.

The quoted language appears on this page: mycomicshop buying program - shipping rebate, and that page includes a table that shows exactly how the shipping rebate is calculated, so I think it's already pretty clear (plus, you see the amount of the rebate as calculated for your transaction before you ever even submit a list to us, so it's not like it's a surprise). But, to eliminate any ambiguity, I've tweaked the sentence as follows:

"In the case of higher value comics, the shipping cost is split between seller and mycomicshop.com. Sellers sending high dollar comics typically receive a large enough rebate to cover all or most of their shipping costs (excluding insurance), and, in some cases, may earn a shipping rebate greater than their actual shipping cost."

All that said, its a little something and often more than you will get anywhere else.

True, and thanks.

I have sold some of my comics to them, and wasnt happy with their shipping rebates, to get shipping costs you actually paid is basically to sell all of you top comics. I paid about 100 bucks on shipping and got 18 bucks on shipping rebate. That only cover the packing material, not the short boxes costs, and actual shipping costs. They say you pay most for shipping. After an fight i got booted off their seller site. I just dont get it, they make profit off comics and yet they boot you off. Their child like business practice, and an big baby attitude, you can just forget selling to them. It bothers me that they do charge buyers shipping if under $50 bucks, also announced that they made 7million dollars in donations, and hey that where my supposed shipping costs goes.

I recently traded around 80 books or so to MCS for store credit. Overall, not a bad experience. Many books were knocked down in grade, and I was a little bothered by it but not too bad as the price was still acceptable and I know my grading skills are still improving.

However, there was one particular book that the grading of just made me laugh. It was a copy of Gotham City Sirens #1 that I bought several months ago from MCS as a NM. When I received it, it clearly wasn't a NM but it's a relatively cheap Modern, so no need to go through the hassle of sending it back, etc.

When I submitted it as part of the trade, I downgraded it to the grade I thought it was: a VF maybe a VF-. Lo and behold, when my trade submission is processed, MCS had re-graded it to FN. :roflmao:

I really just had to laugh. Again, all in all not a horrible experience and I would consider it again in the future, but would be more attentive to my grading versus theirs. I wasn't that concerned with it on this particular batch as it was nothing too valuable and I was trying to get rid of the books.

Just my personal experience.

After having some horrible experiences with Mycomicshop.com as a consumer I would not consider them for purchases or sales. Even after speaking to Buddy I was left to feel unappreciated as a consumer and the overall attitude was take it or leave it your business doesn't matter. That was enough for me to delete the site from any business be it purchasing or selling to.

I recently traded around 80 books or so to MCS for store credit. Overall, not a bad experience. Many books were knocked down in grade, and I was a little bothered by it but not too bad as the price was still acceptable and I know my grading skills are still improving.

However, there was one particular book that the grading of just made me laugh. It was a copy of Gotham City Sirens #1 that I bought several months ago from MCS as a NM. When I received it, it clearly wasn't a NM but it's a relatively cheap Modern, so no need to go through the hassle of sending it back, etc.

When I submitted it as part of the trade, I downgraded it to the grade I thought it was: a VF maybe a VF-. Lo and behold, when my trade submission is processed, MCS had re-graded it to FN. :roflmao:

I really just had to laugh. Again, all in all not a horrible experience and I would consider it again in the future, but would be more attentive to my grading versus theirs. I wasn't that concerned with it on this particular batch as it was nothing too valuable and I was trying to get rid of the books.

Just my personal experience.

OTOH, I've bought slabs from them and wouldn't hesitate in the future. Making me only sell certain CGC grades on their site is kinda arbitrary, not sure why they would bother except they want to process more expensive books.

As the originator of this thread, I just want to say that I have, in the years since asking about them, now sold many thousand dollars worth of books thru and to MCS. I'm currently waiting on a check that should be about two thousand dollars from our last transaction.

There have been a few bumps- a few books they downgraded to the point I had them returned, and a $350 book someone won and didn't pay for- but all in all I'm extremely happy with my decsion to start selling to them and then using their consignment service. I get better prices than ebay with much less fees and their checks show up like clockwork, unlike another service whose owner never seems to be around to sign the checks.

My few purchases have been A-OK, as well.

Just an aside on the shipping rebates- MCS rebates will only cover a percentage of the actual costs, so what I do every shipment is find a few books I don't care about, send them in for sale and the proceeds from those books covers my shipping cost.

I just sold a few raw books to them for cash and thought it was fair.

I was going to choose the credit option but when you see that if you use credit on any singular book priced over $100 they tack on 25% to the price of that book... well, what's the point?

Plus- you can't use credit on auctions or consignments.

I've sent in some comics that have unfortunately been downgraded, so I got less for them. Used that trade credit to buy some NM stuff, and received Fine..sigh..

Just received my last trade credit purchase from them, probably not gonna send any more in due to the difference in grading with what they call a NM and what I received..and what I call a NM or VF, and how they ding it..

I think I am going to give them a try.

I have a box of High Grade Charlton romance books. Mostly between 8.0 and 9.2. I am going to log and send it off to see how it is to work with them.

Since I am still in trade mode it might work out ok.

I have sold some of my comics to them, and wasnt happy with their shipping rebates, to get shipping costs you actually paid is basically to sell all of you top comics. I paid about 100 bucks on shipping and got 18 bucks on shipping rebate. That only cover the packing material, not the short boxes costs, and actual shipping costs. They say you pay most for shipping. After an fight i got booted off their seller site. I just dont get it, they make profit off comics and yet they boot you off. Their child like business practice, and an big baby attitude, you can just forget selling to them. It bothers me that they do charge buyers shipping if under $50 bucks, also announced that they made 7million dollars in donations, and hey that where my supposed shipping costs goes.

Recapping what our web site says about shipping rebates:

"For comics sold via Selling Option #1, Want List Buying, we will pay you a shipping rebate that will cover a portion of your shipping cost, or sometimes even all of your shipping cost." And then there's a link to http://www.mycomicshop.com/webuycomics/shippingrebate

And that page says:

"The shipping rebate is the amount we will add to your credit or cash total to compensate for the cost of shipping your comics to us. Shipping rebates are calculated based on the value of each comic. Sellers shipping small quantities of common, inexpensive comics will be responsible for most of the shipping cost. In the case of higher value comics, the shipping cost is split between seller and mycomicshop.com. Sellers sending high dollar comics typically receive a large enough rebate to cover all or most of their shipping costs (excluding insurance), and, in some cases, may earn a shipping rebate greater than their actual shipping cost." And below that is a table showing how the shipping rebate is calculated.

Shipping rebates are meant to be a positive thing. Sellers don't like paying shipping, so we'll throw in some money (the shipping rebate) to help cover the cost of shipping. If you're sending us really cheap comics (high shipping cost relative to value), we can't afford to cover much of your shipping cost. If you're sending us expensive comics (low shipping cost relative to value), then shipping is a much smaller part of the equation and the shipping rebate will cover more of your cost. Unfortunately, some sellers like Zevion get upset by the fact that the shipping rebate didn't cover their full shipping cost.

A couple of months ago we reviewed and discussed the pros and cons of offering shipping rebates. Personally, I think we might be better off eliminating the shipping rebates entirely and rolling the amounts we pay for shipping rebates directly into our per-item buy prices. Then it's just up to the seller to decide if the amount we're offering for the comics is worth the cost of shipping them to us.

However, others feel that the shipping rebate (even when insufficient to cover the full shipping cost) is still viewed favorably by the majority of sellers, so we're not making any changes.

As long as a website makes it clear with how you calculate the shipping rebate, I think that's all you can really ask for. Then its up to the individual to decide individually the economics of one's own situation.

Although I will admit that as grading can affect cost/pricing and therefore the shipping rebate, there does seem to be a bit of a potential to lead to disgruntled sellers who are already mad about lower grades who feel double whammied with smaller shipping rebates.

I just sold a few raw books to them for cash and thought it was fair.

I was going to choose the credit option but when you see that if you use credit on any singular book priced over $100 they tack on 25% to the price of that book... well, what's the point?

Plus- you can't use credit on auctions or consignments.

The +25% for the trade credit price for items over $50 has not been in effect for a while now. You'll see it's no longer mentioned here: trade credit details

I never liked that, and a few months ago I successfully lobbied to end that. Now, all items have the same price whether you're paying normally or using trade credit.

Unfortunately, the restriction against using trade credit on auction items, consigned items, and subscription service still remains. The reason is that our margin is much smaller on those categories and doesn't allow us to be as generous with trade credit payments. I would very much like for trade credit to be usable on auctions and consignments, but before we can do that we'd need to narrow the max trade credit to cash ratio quite a bit. That's something I want to do, but it will take some time to change.

Edit: Sorry, Hibou, just realized that on the transaction submission page the text still mentioned the +25% trade credit price. The mechanism that would actually apply apply the 25% has been gone for some time now, but I missed that text when I made the change. I've now fixed the text too.

i've sold a bunch of books to mycomicshop. first sell was excellent. second sell, i disagreed with their grading. i sent 2 copies of WD 95 that were VF+/NM- at worst...they said FN. but in order to get the books back, i'd have to pay shipping. wasn't worth it, and they offered a few dollars more than i paid for both copies, so i said screw it, send me a check.

never had any problem buying books.

I sent it lots of books Matt Nelson had pregraded at 9.2 and 9.4 and they came back as VF or VF+, rarely got even a VF/NM. A VF/NM could be like a 9.6 cgc standards or totally not.

So as a test I sent in a book Matt had pre graded at 9.8 and it came back Fine! It had a big miswrap on it, but CGC doesn't count of for that

Well I was very frustrated with my comicshop for seeming to downgrade everything by at least 1 full grade on average.

I'm not really sure why they do this, I think they under grade books from consignors to increase their reputation with buyers, who then overpay for the books mycomicshop owns because they think mcs is a super strict grader.

then again, if you have CGC'd books they give you a good price

tag line: said by a dealer: "if I'm buying, its an 8.0, if I'm selling its a 9.2" :)