• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A near disaster: Heritage auction win nearly ruined by bad packaging

10 posts in this topic

I just received my latest Heritage win in the mail (the Enric Vampirella #68 painted cover). Most of my past Heritage wins have been for framed pieces (and some that were not arrived in the same packaging as my framed wins), and have arrived in very secure packaging (sometimes even in padded Strongboxes). The third party shippers they use have also packaged my items very securely.

The Vampi #68 cover was unframed, and was sent from Heritage directly (no third-party shipping). The piece was sent between 6 large sheets of cardboard. Well, I can tell you that 6 large sheets of thin cardboard are exceptionally easy to bend/crease/dent/fold over. And, in this case, the package did indeed arrive badly bent, creased all the way through, dented and folded over. :mad:

The packaging damage missed the painting by about ONE INCH. I'm very relieved, but also very annoyed that the piece was not adequately protected. Has anyone else received a piece packaged in this manner? Is this new or standard procedure? I've already written to Heritage about the incident and I strongly hope they change their packaging methodology for unframed comic art.

Gene

I just received my latest Heritage win in the mail (the Enric Vampirella #68 painted cover). Most of my past Heritage wins have been for framed pieces (and some that were not arrived in the same packaging as my framed wins), and have arrived in very secure packaging (sometimes even in padded Strongboxes). The third party shippers they use have also packaged my items very securely.

The Vampi #68 cover was unframed, and was sent from Heritage directly (no third-party shipping). The piece was sent between 6 large sheets of cardboard. Well, I can tell you that 6 large sheets of thin cardboard are exceptionally easy to bend/crease/dent/fold over. And, in this case, the package did indeed arrive badly bent, creased all the way through, dented and folded over. :mad:

The packaging damage missed the painting by about ONE INCH. I'm very relieved, but also very annoyed that the piece was not adequately protected. Has anyone else received a piece packaged in this manner? Is this new or standard procedure? I've already written to Heritage about the incident and I strongly hope they change their packaging methodology for unframed comic art.

Gene

Every non-framed piece of art that I have received from them has been sandwiched between two sturdy sheets of masonite. They have always gone to the overkill side of protecting packages from my experience. It's been like that since 2002 all the way up to earlier this year, this must be something new.

I have had quite a few Heritage pieces mailed to me. They used to use two pieces of masonite as a sandwich but I was always a bit worried by this as masonite can crack in two. This never happened to me though. The past couple of years though, all my packages have been sandwiched between cardboard THEN repackaged into a box with styrofoam peanuts surrounding. These have seemed fairly bulletproof with no problems on my end. If they are shipping with just a few sheets of cardboard this is new to me; I'm receiving a package from them today, so we shall see.

My pieces arrived just like Dan mentioned above. In between four sheets of cardboard and then placed in a box with air pillows. In the past, it's been like this, with styrofoam pellets. This must be more environmentally friendly. But, it's really well done. n your case, iIt sounds like they forgot to put the cardboard in a box?

Ditto Gene, always overkill packing from Heritage OA auctions wins here as well. They seemed to have dropped the ball on this one. :(

Glad the art was not damaged. :golfclap:

Ditto Gene, always overkill packing from Heritage OA auctions wins here as well. They seemed to have dropped the ball on this one. :(

Glad the art was not damaged. :golfclap:

Do we think this is because it was large art? I'm of course concerned about the Miracleman 15 double page splash that's on its way, since it's on a single piece of art board and oversized.

Hari

Gene

Even if it's damaged, you still have what you love.

Gene

Even if it's damaged, you still have what you love.

Unless you're being sarcastic, I'm not sure this is a reasonable comment. Perhaps we should just have Heritage roll up everything and send in tubes. No biggie, right?

Hari