I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
10 10

4,436 posts in this topic

kdoginohio   
  • Member: Seasoned Veteran
  • 11,350 posts

Seems to be a quite a bit of fervor over this young man's work lately. I haven't seen any appreciation thread to date. If there is one, someone gently nudge me in that direction.

Here's one of my faves to start with.

scanMrMonster0001.jpg

Edited by kdoginohio

Mr 9.8   
  • 18,298 posts

He's dead?

MedicAR   
  • 12,945 posts

Tragically, yes. And before I got a Rocketeer CGC SS from him.

:sorry:

Bosco685   
  • 73,507 posts

That would have been an amazing book to have.

:(

kdoginohio   
  • 11,350 posts

That would have been an amazing book to have.

:(

:cry: I decide to "wait til next year" and it never came :cry:

seanfingh   
  • 41,541 posts

I've posted this before, but I literally had my pacific presents and Rocketeer Adventure magazines gathered up, rebagged (this was before i knew about window bags) and ready to send to a witness the week of his untimely passing.

sborock   
  • 7,578 posts

He was an amazing artist and a nice guy. Gone too soon :(

I am lucky enough, thanks to some friends, to own a really cool, very detailed, prelim of three hot woman that he did.

Bosco685   
  • 73,507 posts
He was an amazing artist and a nice guy. Gone too soon :(

I am lucky enough, thanks to some friends, to own a really cool, very detailed, prelim of three hot woman that he did.

Picture of the artwork?

fc   
  • 294 posts

I always admired his artwork and stories but he never was a must have for me. odd that.

sort of like love and rockets to be honest. i always admired it but never really got into it.

dave stevens was like that to me.

he does represent to me the good times in comic collecting though. the early 1980s time frame

so just for that he gets much love.

Edited by fc

RockMyAmadeus   
  • 48,785 posts

I've loved Dave Stevens from just about the beginning of my collecting days. Starslayer #2, 3 and PP #1 and #2 were some of the very first books I hoarded.

I, too, am sad that I'll never get a SS by him.

JiveTurkeyMoFo   
  • 15,248 posts

I was lucky enough to snag a number of great Steven's covers this weekend at Heroes for $1 each. Several should come back as 9.8s. Amazing that such amazing high quality material can still be found in dollar bins nearly 25 years later.

For those of you who never read it, I highly recommend the book "Brush with Passion, the Art and Life of Dave Stevens". The 1st Edition hard cover is out of print and can run you as much as $300 to track down, but I believe a soft cover is on the way.

Amazing, amazing stuff by a really great guy.

seanfingh   
  • 41,541 posts

I went on a Stevensquest on Saturday. I found 7 or 8, but none higher than 9.4 or so. :cry: I did rock a sweet 1st print of Trollords for a buck, though. :cloud9: And I thought I had an Eightball #1 for a dollar, but it was a third print. :cry: I also got faked out on a Warrior Nun Areala #1. I didn't even know that had been reprinted. But the piece de resistance was a Razor:Torture #0 still in the bag with a copy of Comic Cavalcade's bad Girl books catalogue: CFD #1 $350 Caliber Presents 15 $150 Evil Ernie #1 $500.

RockMyAmadeus   
  • 48,785 posts
I was lucky enough to snag a number of great Steven's covers this weekend at Heroes for $1 each. Several should come back as 9.8s. Amazing that such amazing high quality material can still be found in dollar bins nearly 25 years later.

That's because I'm not around. If I was, it wouldn't be. You can take that to the bank.

:cloud9:

RockMyAmadeus   
  • 48,785 posts

I went on a Stevensquest on Saturday. I found 7 or 8, but none higher than 9.4 or so. :cry: I did rock a sweet 1st print of Trollords for a buck, though. :cloud9: And I thought I had an Eightball #1 for a dollar, but it was a third print. :cry: I also got faked out on a Warrior Nun Areala #1. I didn't even know that had been reprinted. But the piece de resistance was a Razor:Torture #0 still in the bag with a copy of Comic Cavalcade's bad Girl books catalogue: CFD #1 $350 Caliber Presents 15 $150 Evil Ernie #1 $500.

Comic Cavalcade'smid 90's ads = :insane::screwy::cloud9:

Yes, I DO want that Vengeance of Vampirella #1 White vairant...how much? Only $300? Where do I send my money?

JiveTurkeyMoFo   
  • 15,248 posts

That's because I'm not around. If I was, it wouldn't be. You can take that to the bank.

:cloud9:

It helps to have been there the afternoon of set-up. Earl Shaw's longboxes were filled with some amazing stuff. Picked up a horde of quality material for a buck a pop. Much of it is 9.8 unread quality. Best dollar bin sale I've ever been a part of.

Heroes for my money has the best dollar book dealers of any show I've attended. Sure, some people can't be bothered to hunt and peck through the dollar bins, but I managed to pick out several hundred quality books, about a hundred of which are going in soon to CGC, many with no current census representation.