• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
8 8

4,882 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

the Glamour International is one I dont have. I have issues 1 and 2 of that series due to Steranko and Frazetta art.

I've got the Glamour International...somewhere. It's oversized so I'm not sure where it's tucked away. I think I got it at Bud Plant in a pack of some sort many, many years ago.

Never seen one of those Back Issues in person. That's great.

On 3/31/2019 at 1:20 AM, Bargain Hunters Thrift Store LLC said:

Here is a very early 1974 Dave Stevens Cover 

Hope you enjoy 

Rene Nezhoda

creature1.jpg

Just got done watching your unboxing video for this, Rene & was going to post the news here. Didn't realize you were a member here and beat me to it.

On 4/3/2019 at 3:47 PM, iggy said:

Just got done watching your unboxing video for this, Rene & was going to post the news here. Didn't realize you were a member here and beat me to it.

Link?

Hi all - not sure if this is appropriate or not.  I'm not propping anything I own other a passion for Dave Stevens.  

I get Bud Plant's emails as many here do and I noticed the closeout on this book.  Still too rich fior me but looks like an awesome publication.  Link at the bottom.

BRUSH WITH PASSION The Art & Life of Dave Stevens Super Deluxe, published at $900.00 - closeout price $675.00

Signed & limited, 235, with extra 16 pages, leatherbound. 

brupsd-brush-with-passion-dave-stevens-s

https://www.budsartbooks.com/index.php/brush-with-passion-the-art-life-of-dave-stevens-super-deluxe.html

4 hours ago, telerites said:

Hi all - not sure if this is appropriate or not.  I'm not propping anything I own other a passion for Dave Stevens.  

I get Bud Plant's emails as many here do and I noticed the closeout on this book.  Still too rich fior me but looks like an awesome publication.  Link at the bottom.

BRUSH WITH PASSION The Art & Life of Dave Stevens Super Deluxe, published at $900.00 - closeout price $675.00

Signed & limited, 235, with extra 16 pages, leatherbound. 

brupsd-brush-with-passion-dave-stevens-s

https://www.budsartbooks.com/index.php/brush-with-passion-the-art-life-of-dave-stevens-super-deluxe.html

It's a lovely book, I used to have one. But even the "closeout" price seems a little nuts. I bought one of these direct from Dave's estate for I want to say less than $300? Maybe a hair more. A couple of years ago I sold most of my hardcover stuff and this one fetched under $500, I believe. It's a gorgeous book, to be sure, and I would like to have another copy, but at that price I'm still going to be waiting a while.

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

It's a lovely book, I used to have one. But even the "closeout" price seems a little nuts. I bought one of these direct from Dave's estate for I want to say less than $300? Maybe a hair more. A couple of years ago I sold most of my hardcover stuff and this one fetched under $500, I believe. It's a gorgeous book, to be sure, and I would like to have another copy, but at that price I'm still going to be waiting a while.

That was my thought as well. 

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

32 minutes ago, valiantman said:

That was my thought as well. 

I really had no idea if the price was good or not.  Like I said too pricey for me. There is a reason books are still available and Bud is discounting them which means supply exceeded demand at least for him.  I don't actively buy art books but I used to, especially Frazetta, Krenkel, the Studio artists and a few others.  

Just thought I would pass it along.  Thanks for adding some reality :smile: 

54 minutes ago, telerites said:

I really had no idea if the price was good or not.  Like I said too pricey for me. There is a reason books are still available and Bud is discounting them which means supply exceeded demand at least for him.  I don't actively buy art books but I used to, especially Frazetta, Krenkel, the Studio artists and a few others.  

Just thought I would pass it along.  Thanks for adding some reality :smile: 

And to be certain, it's a BEAUTIFUL book, full of gorgeous art, and the signature and leather binding make it very special. It's definitely worth picking up if you find one at a good price. And to be perfectly fair, I haven't kept up with prices for at least a couple of years, so it's possible that $600 isn't a totally insane price. But it's definitely more than I'd pay right now. Thanks for sharing the link, it's cool to know there is still some stock floating around out there in case I get desperate and decide to bite the bullet!

I think Bud Plant exaggerates stuff on occasion. I've caught them saying books are lower runs than they are. Also that stuff will sell out fast and they will have it a year later if not longer. And their sales aren't discounted that much.

I can't remember the original price I paid for the Brush with Passion Diamond version but it has the same extra pages as the leather bound version. I think the only extra in the leather version is the leather and signature page. Dave didn't get a chance to make a new illustration for that signature page so I passed on that version. I have his signature in the older deluxe Rocketeer hardcover, his sketchbooks, and I think some other items. So I wasn't missing much on the leather book.

8 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

I think Bud Plant exaggerates stuff on occasion. I've caught them saying books are lower runs than they are. Also that stuff will sell out fast and they will have it a year later if not longer. And their sales aren't discounted that much.

I can't remember the original price I paid for the Brush with Passion Diamond version but it has the same extra pages as the leather bound version. I think the only extra in the leather version is the leather and signature page. Dave didn't get a chance to make a new illustration for that signature page so I passed on that version. I have his signature in the older deluxe Rocketeer hardcover, his sketchbooks, and I think some other items. So I wasn't missing much on the leather book.

Yeah, I sold mine because I already had most of the art in other forms and I have his sigs on a few things from meeting him once, and those are the things that matter to me most. But the leather binding is pretty snazzy, so like I said, one day I could see myself picking this one up again.

9 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

Wow, I knew it wasn't as high as what Bud Plant was asking, but I also didn't see it going that low either. Of course, that's the danger with auctions these days. I wonder if it would have sold for $300+ if it'd been a BIN?

On 4/26/2019 at 11:04 AM, F For Fake said:

Wow, I knew it wasn't as high as what Bud Plant was asking, but I also didn't see it going that low either. Of course, that's the danger with auctions these days. I wonder if it would have sold for $300+ if it'd been a BIN?

It's possible it could have sold for $300. I can't remember the original retail price. Looking over the auction, it ended at $275 with the shipping. There were 15 bidders. The majority of them going from the bid amounts seemed to be low bidders trying to get something for nothing. Also some snipers. No telling the maximum of the winning bidder. His $270 bid held off a few challenges. But it could be possible that his maximum was $300. You never know.

Edited by GeneticNinja

I remember reading that not many were pleased with the artwork in the recent Rocketeer comics. I was looking for jungle girl artwork and found some good Rocketeer art from Stephane Roux. He has a bunch of Rocketeer pieces posted.

https://www.instagram.com/frenchwookiee/

I think he would be a good choice for the next Rocketeer comic.

Edited by GeneticNinja

I like that Bettie cover but wish they went crazy with the design and it was all Bettie panels from the comic on the cover. Still if I knew they had that cover coming out I would have waited for that and passed on the first edition.

I recently bought a collection that included Melody #5, which had a Dave Stevens pin-up of a woman showing her ta-tas (as my wife loves to call them). Is this the only Stevens work that actually shows nudity? Obviously a lot of other works had a strategic sheet or arm or shadow covering up an otherwise naked woman, but this one had none of those.

(And after typing this, it seems like I'm some sort of pervert... but really! I'm not! I'm quite chaste!)