• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
8 8

4,882 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, RCheli said:

I recently bought a collection that included Melody #5, which had a Dave Stevens pin-up of a woman showing her ta-tas (as my wife loves to call them). Is this the only Stevens work that actually shows nudity? Obviously a lot of other works had a strategic sheet or arm or shadow covering up an otherwise naked woman, but this one had none of those.

(And after typing this, it seems like I'm some sort of pervert... but really! I'm not! I'm quite chaste!)

This one immediately sprang to mind (not my listing):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Venus-Domina-1-Dave-Stevens-cover-1996-Verotik-Glenn-Danzig/332986135184?hash=item4d87853290:g:ZQIAAOSwC9hcKT4h

On 5/18/2019 at 8:54 PM, chevalmeow said:

Got this set today. I had delayed getting it and it seems to be not as available as I would have thought.

2063889621_ShadowDocSavage1.thumb.jpg.752cb25998d64f4c2144f1107a7d8e3e.jpg1424770772_ShadowDocSavage2.thumb.jpg.8df20ae5986e6d00e446fc12c9977f31.jpg

imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4bimageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

These are some of the least common Stevens books, in my experience. I practically never run across them in the wild. Had to order my set online.

On 5/22/2019 at 12:34 PM, RCheli said:

I recently bought a collection that included Melody #5, which had a Dave Stevens pin-up of a woman showing her ta-tas (as my wife loves to call them). Is this the only Stevens work that actually shows nudity? Obviously a lot of other works had a strategic sheet or arm or shadow covering up an otherwise naked woman, but this one had none of those.

(And after typing this, it seems like I'm some sort of pervert... but really! I'm not! I'm quite chaste!)

There's a print I found on eBay :Dave Stevens signed and numbered print of Jewel Shepard. Quite sexy.

The Rocketeer Animated Series for Disney Junior Reveals Cast, Trailer

rocketeer_billy_campbell.jpg.02d6ceb68ea59b3ced904424e96a6472.jpg

Ahead of The Rocketeer's panel at SDCC 2019, Disney has announced the cast of the upcoming series. Among that cast is a rather familiar face...only this time he'll be a voice.

Original Rocketeer (from the 1991 film) Billy Campbell will appear in The Rocketeer animated series as Dave Secord, Kit's father.

"This is my first voice-acting job ever and I'm thrilled that it's for The Rocketeer," Campbell said in a statement. "This has been a really nice full-circle moment for me and I'm looking forward to introducing a new generation of kids, including my own, to the Rocketeer's stories."

Also joining the cast is Kitana Turnbull (A Series of Unfortunate Events) as new Rocketeer Kit. The rest of the voice cast is made up of Frank Welker (Scooby-Doo) as Grandpa Ambrose and Butch the bulldog; Callan Farris (Disney Channel's upcoming Gabby Duran & The Unsittables) as Kit's best friend, Tesh; and Navia Robinson (Disney Channel's Raven's Home) as Kit's flight school classmate, Valerie Valkyrie. Voicing the recurring comedic villains in the series are Maria Bamford (Arrested Development) and Kari Wahlgren (DC Superhero Girls) as sister team, Laura and Harley; Maurice LaMarche (Futurama) as Sylvester Slapdash; Charlie Adler (The Transformers franchise) and Parvesh Cheena (Disney Junior's upcoming Mira, Royal Detective) as The Great Orsino and Deany, respectively; and celebrity chef Ted Allen (Chopped) as Cast-Iron Chef

:applause:

I assume that there at least a couple of folks watching this thread that are working on a Dave Stevens Cover registry set (me too - I'm currently at #7).

Recently, there's been some request in the "I want this to be added to a set" thread asking for several new titles to be placed into the set because they have an ad on their back cover for a separate comic with a Dave Stevens cover. Here's an example from Twisted Tales #4:
Stevens.thumb.jpg.bed3fe9aa7f61e61a6f7dccccc3e972c.jpg

I guess I'm interested in people's reactions on this. In my mind, it seems a little odd, but maybe I'm over-thinking it... It's almost like this is a picture of a Stevens cover instead of an actual Stevens cover. and I feel like it probably doesn't belong in the registry set as a result.

Ultimately, I think this would add about a dozen books to the Stevens registry set, and I think they mostly have the same ad with the same Stevens image from Alien Worlds #4.

What are your thoughts on this?

6 minutes ago, Brock said:

I assume that there at least a couple of folks watching this thread that are working on a Dave Stevens Cover registry set (me too - I'm currently at #7).

Recently, there's been some request in the "I want this to be added to a set" thread asking for several new titles to be placed into the set because they have an ad on their back cover for a separate comic with a Dave Stevens cover. Here's an example from Twisted Tales #4:
Stevens.thumb.jpg.bed3fe9aa7f61e61a6f7dccccc3e972c.jpg

I guess I'm interested in people's reactions on this. In my mind, it seems a little odd, but maybe I'm over-thinking it... It's almost like this is a picture of a Stevens cover instead of an actual Stevens cover. and I feel like it probably doesn't belong in the registry set as a result.

Ultimately, I think this would add about a dozen books to the Stevens registry set, and I think they mostly have the same ad with the same Stevens image from Alien Worlds #4.

What are your thoughts on this?

My first thought is that a collection of Dave Stevens covers shouldn't be incomplete if it doesn't have back cover advertisements for other books.

Alien Worlds #4 definitely belongs in a complete Dave Stevens cover set but the ads for Alien Worlds #4 shouldn't be required for "completeness".

On 9/30/2019 at 11:15 AM, manetteska said:

Awesome.

Thanks! I think this may actually be an upgrade for me, which was very surprising given the location and price. I was digging through his boxes and found this one, which wasn't priced. So I said "There's no price, how much do you want for it?" And he said "No price means 50 cents" (and 50 cent books were 3/$1) so I couldn't get my buck out quick enough! I'm still gobsmacked that you can pull Dave books out of bargain bins, but they're definitely lurking out there!

Edited by F For Fake

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Thanks! I think this may actually be an upgrade for me, which was very surprising given the location and price. I was digging through his boxes and found this one, which wasn't priced. So I said "There's no price, how much do you want for it?" And he said "No price means 50 cents" (and 50 cent books were 3/$1) so I couldn't get my buck out quick enough! I'm still gobsmacked that you can pull Dave books out of bargain bins, but they're definitely lurking out there!

Great find!  I still regret selling my 2 copies a while back.  Am looking for replacement someday.

On 10/2/2019 at 2:06 PM, F For Fake said:

I thought of you and your recent score when I found this at an odd corner store with books in ancient bags and boards on a ledge behind the counter.A buck each,I left the Crying Freeman and Fist of the Northstar there.(I already have them for whatever reason lol )

psYRJLj.jpg?1