• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
8 8

4,882 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

I thought of you and your recent score when I found this at an odd corner store with books in ancient bags and boards on a ledge behind the counter.A buck each,I left the Crying Freeman and Fist of the Northstar there.(I already have them for whatever reason lol )

psYRJLj.jpg?1

I already praised it over in CG, but it's worth praising here as well! I think this is one that gets less love than it deserves. Maybe because of the giant possum? Maybe! But it still has a bodacious painted Dave babe, you can't go wrong!

7 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I already praised it over in CG, but it's worth praising here as well! I think this is one that gets less love than it deserves. Maybe because of the giant possum? Maybe! But it still has a bodacious painted Dave babe, you can't go wrong!

Fits with the Power Pachyderms that greggy posted!Little bit of a Rocket Raccoon swipe,no?

And hellllooo nurse!

I had this one for sale a while back and then came to my senses.... it's made out to my old friend William, who passed away too young a few years ago. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

DSCN6814.JPG

6 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I remember. I bought a couple of your other Dave Stevens books, similarly made out to your friend William 

William worked off and on at several of the better shops in the area.... he was often the weekend "face" when the owners were hitting conventions. He also did his share of conventions... almost always with a stack of books to be signed. He had 9 short boxes of signed raws…. many creators who are no longer alive and have no SS series books with their autograph on them. Gil Kane, Kirby, etc. He had several EC's with each creator signing the splash of their particular story. RIP William :foryou: GOD BLESS....

2 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

William worked off and on at several of the better shops in the area.... he was often the weekend "face" when the owners were hitting conventions. He also did his share of conventions... almost always with a stack of books to be signed. He had 9 short boxes of signed raws…. many creators who are no longer alive and have no SS series books with their autograph on them. Gil Kane, Kirby, etc. He had several EC's with each creator signing the splash of their particular story. RIP William :foryou: GOD BLESS....

Sounds like a great guy.  I’m sorry he’s gone

Yeah... it was kind of sudden..... he was younger than me. When Dave told me I was like, "What ???" ….. It seems he took Dave to a storage shed to sell him his books and two days later he was gone. I had several up here …. one that didn't sell here but ended up going for almost three times on eBay is another I wish I'd just kept.... but it's kind of not fair to keep them all.... There will be no more Sevens' autographs. I did keep this one, plus a fanzine that had Rocketeer and that badass plane on the cover....GOD BLESS....

DSCN6819 (2).JPG

8 minutes ago, chevalmeow said:

Got a copy of this once more.  Should never have sold it but it is back in the collection now.

748259431_PlanetComics1(2).thumb.jpg.3f01afda685796ed325ba8c0c1a00583.jpg

Glad that you reaquired  :)

there was a Adam Hughes homage of this cover in dirty pair #1 but it may be a variant making it very dirty :boo:jk

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I remember when you could pull the AH book out of dollar bins. I had a few. Sold them all too cheap a long time ago. Such is life!

On 7/24/2019 at 10:27 AM, Brock said:

I assume that there at least a couple of folks watching this thread that are working on a Dave Stevens Cover registry set (me too - I'm currently at #7).

Recently, there's been some request in the "I want this to be added to a set" thread asking for several new titles to be placed into the set because they have an ad on their back cover for a separate comic with a Dave Stevens cover. Here's an example from Twisted Tales #4:
Stevens.thumb.jpg.bed3fe9aa7f61e61a6f7dccccc3e972c.jpg

I guess I'm interested in people's reactions on this. In my mind, it seems a little odd, but maybe I'm over-thinking it... It's almost like this is a picture of a Stevens cover instead of an actual Stevens cover. and I feel like it probably doesn't belong in the registry set as a result.

Ultimately, I think this would add about a dozen books to the Stevens registry set, and I think they mostly have the same ad with the same Stevens image from Alien Worlds #4.

What are your thoughts on this?

I think it's overkill.