• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
8 8

4,884 posts in this topic

This is one that I never loved, either the rendering or the subject matter. Pics from MCS as I didn't feel like digging through my boxes to find my copies. I usually buy any Dave book I find in the wild, but I stopped after three or four copies of this one.

885925.jpg

This is another I never loved. Pencils by Adam Hughes and inks by Dave Stevens, you'd think it would be a match made in heaven! But the end result is kinda meh. This is another one I tend to pass on, I've got plenty.

5591f543c15110fc965ddd57b7a28e27.jpg

12 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

This is one that I never loved, either the rendering or the subject matter. Pics from MCS as I didn't feel like digging through my boxes to find my copies. I usually buy any Dave book I find in the wild, but I stopped after three or four copies of this one.

885925.jpg

this one may be the coloring etc kind of bland

10 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

This is another I never loved. Pencils by Adam Hughes and inks by Dave Stevens, you'd think it would be a match made in heaven! But the end result is kinda meh. This is another one I tend to pass on, I've got plenty.

this one is better in that it "makes sense", the cover is just a little hm bunch of candles and a mirror idk too intended maybe? not enough subtilty? the face is too in between a AH! that is usually a surprise face, and the luster of stevens is lost in it. Like it has too much straightness and not enough curve........ I still like it, just doesn't wow me 

I don't know, I'm not going to stare at it that long lol :baiting:

10 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

this one is better in that it "makes sense", the cover is just a little hm bunch of candles and a mirror idk too intended maybe? not enough subtilty? the face is too in between a AH! that is usually a surprise face, and the luster of stevens is lost in it. Like it has too much straightness and not enough curve........ I still like it, just doesn't wow me 

I think the primary complaint about the DV8 cover is: Adam Hughes + Dave Stevens, where are the boobs???

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I always thought Adam did the girl and Dave did the rest.

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

GCD has the credits reversed on that one, Stevens pencils and Hughes inks.  Not sure which is correct just looking at it; it looks more like Hughes than Stevens to me but that could be either a heavy inking job by Hughes or a faithful one by Stevens.

I'll defer to you guys on the credits of who did what. My take has always been that it doesn't look enough like either of them to be of much interest to AH or Dave collectors individually, and isn't enough of a blend to make it interesting. Also doesn't help that I have zero interest in the title and know nothing about the character.

2 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I'll defer to you guys on the credits of who did what. My take has always been that it doesn't look enough like either of them to be of much interest to AH or Dave collectors individually, and isn't enough of a blend to make it interesting. Also doesn't help that I have zero interest in the title and know nothing about the character.

I'm grabbing a cheap copy, at least.  As near as I can tell, and not counting reprints or various Rocketeer variants reusing art, there are only about 40 covers with Stevens pencils.  It's not a terribly big set so I won't skip this one.

14 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

I'm grabbing a cheap copy, at least.  As near as I can tell, and not counting reprints or various Rocketeer variants reusing art, there are only about 40 covers with Stevens pencils.  It's not a terribly big set so I won't skip this one.

I know I don't have everything with Stevens pencils, but i have 45 comic issues, books, and magazine covers (including Movie Star News, Amazing Heroes Preview Special, Comics Journal #117, Rocketeer Novel & Iger Comics Kingdom).  I wonder what the actual total is?  Is there a list?

31 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Sure, I've got a stack of them picked up out of bins over the years. I've been collecting Dave since the 80's, used to collect AH as well. But I've hit my threshold on how many of these I need to own. ha

4 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I know I don't have everything with Stevens pencils, but i have 45 comic issues, books, and magazine covers (including Movie Star News, Amazing Heroes Preview Special, Comics Journal #117, Rocketeer Novel & Iger Comics Kingdom).  I wonder what the actual total is?  Is there a list?

I used to have a checklist including posters, magazines, etc. I'll see if I kept a copy of it somewhere.

This is the list I used for years, when I was still chasing the stuff. I may have crossed off a couple of things I already had, so if you see anything obvious missing, that's why. This helped me with the harder to find stuff. Doesn't include anything published after his death, like those Jetpack variants and such, as I don't care about that stuff.

Dave Stevens

-1983 San Diego Comic-Con Progress Report No. 2 (May 1983) c

-Alien Worlds #2 (May 1983) c s

-Alien Worlds #4 (September 1983) c s(i)

-Amazing Heroes #145 Preview Special (July 1988) c a i sk

-Amazing Heroes #37 (December 1983) c a i sk Ph

-Back Issues (1983) c

-Bettie Page Comics #1 (March 1996) c s(i) a

-Bettie Page: Queen of the Nile #1 (December 1999) c

-Bettie Page: Queen of the Nile #2 (February 2000) c

-Bettie Page: Queen of the Nile #3 (April 2000) c

-Black Angel (September 1996) c

-Comic Book Artists #15 (November 2001) c i

-Comic Journal #117, The (September 1987) c a i sk

-Comic Shop News #207 (June 1991) c

-Comico Attractions #6 (1987) c

-Comico Christmas Special (December 1988) c

-Comix Kiss Comix 12 (October 1993) c

-Comix Kiss Comix 6 (April 1993) c

-Comix Kiss Comix 9 (July 1993) c

-Cult Movies #11 (1994) c Ph

-Cult Movies #12 (1994) c

-Cult Movies #13 (1995) c a i Ph

-Cult Movies #14 (1995) c

-Cult Movies #15 (1995) c a i Ph

-Cult Movies #8 (1993) c

-Cult Movies #9 (1993) c

-Dark Horse Insider #23 (1991) c a

-Dark Horse Presents #100-1 (August 1995) c

-Destiny Science Fiction #2 (Spring 1975) c

-Elvira's House of Mystery #11 (January 1987) c

-Girl Crazy #1 (May 1996) c

-Glamour International #7 (October 1986) c a(2-6)

-Grendel #4 (January 1987) c(i)

-Iger Comics Kingdom, The (1985) c a(83)

-Jonny Quest #3 (August 1986) c

-Jonny Quest #4 (September 1986) s(i:8, 25) a

-Jonny Quest #5 (October 1986) c

-Last of the Viking Heroes #5A (June 1988) c(i)

-Madman Comics #4 (October 1994) c

-Movie Star News #1: Betty Page the Queen of Curves (1990) c

-Mysticogryfil #2 (May 1975) c a(2, 8, 27)

-Neo Satanikatales (December 2001) c

-Nudie-Cutie Volume 50 - Special Edition (1995) c

-Orbit #1 (1990) c

-Pacific Northwest Comic Con II Programme (May 1990) c a

-Pacific Presents "The Rocketeer" #1 (October 1982) c s Ph

-Poster #1: Seduction (1986) (22" x 34") a

-Poster #3: Mr. Monster (1986) (22" x 34") a

-Poster #4: World of Wood 2 (1986) (22" x 34") a

-Poster #5: Crossfire & Rainbow (1987) (22" x 34") a

-Poster #6: World of Wood 1 (1987) (22" x 34") a

-Poster #7: Return of Valkyrie (1987) (22" x 34") a

-Poster #8: Crossfire & Marilyn (1987) (22" x 34") a

-Pure Images #1 (1986) c

-Rocketeer Adventure Magazine #1, The (July 1988) c s

-Rocketeer Adventure Magazine #2, The (July 1989) c s

-Rocketeer Adventure Magazine #3, The (January 1995) c s

-Rocketeer Special Edition #1 (November 1984) c s

-Rocketeer Volume II: Cliff's "New York Adventure", The (September 1996) c s

-Seduction of the Innocent Non-3D #1 (October 1985) c

-Shadow and Doc Savage #1 (of 2), The (July 1995) c

-Shadow and Doc Savage #2 (of 2), The (August 1995) c

SOMETHING WEIRD VIDEO

-Space Thing (1992) c

-Time Machine - Sail with Pirates (August 1984) c

pb novel

-Up'n Coming! #5/6 (April/May 1991) c

-Vampirella: A Scarlet Thirst (1993) c

-Vampirella: Transcending Time & Space (1992) c

-Vamps & Vixens, The Seductive Art of Dave Stevens (1998) c a

-Vanguard Illustrated #2 (January 1984) c a

-Venus Domina #1 (July 1996) c

-Venus Domina Candlemass Eve Special (February 1997) c

-Verotik Illustrated #2 (December 1997) c

-Weird Tales Vol. 49, No. 1 (Fall 1984) a

1 hour ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I guess I need to find a few things...

And once you start finding things, you'll KEEP finding things, it never ends!