• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
8 8

4,883 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

In today:

Jungle Comics 1.jpg

Mr. Monster 2.jpg

The Mr.Monster cover is a reminder that Dave didn't have to have a babe in the image to be considered great art.I have always loved the expression on the kids faces.It is reminiscent of the original Rocketeer story. 

Course the Junglecover is pretty awesome too!

Sadly, no, just a promo card (or two) for the cancelled 90's Topps set exist.

A pair of sets like it were released in the early 2010s by Versicolor called "Bettie Page: The Private Collection" and those featured sketch cards.

Imagine if only the Topps set been issued and Topps had then incorporated the then-very new idea of sketch cards into it. Hand drawn sketch cards from the likes of Dave Stevens would be Grail pieces, indeed.

Here's another couple of Stevens "jam" posters, DV8 promo poster with Adam Hughes and Rocketeer with Dave Dorman:

dv8a.JPG.4f940dac1ce43de4cc26b7109751b41e.JPGrocketeer1.JPG.9ac327e6a742239019f13a7692681e68.JPG

On 12/5/2020 at 7:14 AM, jdandns said:

Here's Dave's take on Vampi called "Back From the Grave", a 17x24 number that was issued at the same time as another Vampirella poster in that size by Joe Jusko:

vampstevens.jpg

I had that poster, and I got Dave to sign it the one time I was fortunate enough to meet him, and I have NO idea what happened to it. I've still got the two prints I bought from him, signed to me, and I've got a signed/numbered Bettie Page print, but can't find this one at all. There was a short period of time where I was between places, and I had a bunch of stuff stored in my folks' basement, and they got some water and, well, lots of stuff got damaged. I assume this one got thrown out in that mess. A shame, it's a beautiful piece, and it was a great memory.

I met him a few times at Comic-con, and he was always so kind to me and others who visited his booth. I loved how he'd often write "Thanks, (yourname)!" along with the autograph in that trademark Dave Stevens lettering. I can't replace the signed version of the Vampi poster for you, alas, but I might have a unsigned "double". (I have a box of different 1990's Vampirella posters).

On 11/19/2020 at 2:09 PM, OtherEric said:

Here's what I was able to get from the GCD, looking for Dave Stevens cover pencils on US comic books... so a fairly specific set of guidelines.  Even with that, there's at least one clear error... the Satanika issue clearly isn't by Stevens:

Ds1.jpg

ds2.jpg

ds3.jpg

Here's the correct Satanika cover:

7f_324065_0_SatanikaAnniversarySpecial.jpg