• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
8 8

4,882 posts in this topic

I was lucky enough to snag a number of great Steven's covers this weekend at Heroes for $1 each. Several should come back as 9.8s. Amazing that such amazing high quality material can still be found in dollar bins nearly 25 years later.

For those of you who never read it, I highly recommend the book "Brush with Passion, the Art and Life of Dave Stevens". The 1st Edition hard cover is out of print and can run you as much as $300 to track down, but I believe a soft cover is on the way.

Amazing, amazing stuff by a really great guy.

I was talking to a friend of mine a couple of weeks ago about Dave Stevens and mentioned that I wish I could find an affordable copy of this book. He just happened to have an extra copy he sold to me for $40, still in the cellophane!

Great stuff.

I was lucky enough to snag a number of great Steven's covers this weekend at Heroes for $1 each. Several should come back as 9.8s. Amazing that such amazing high quality material can still be found in dollar bins nearly 25 years later.

For those of you who never read it, I highly recommend the book "Brush with Passion, the Art and Life of Dave Stevens". The 1st Edition hard cover is out of print and can run you as much as $300 to track down, but I believe a soft cover is on the way.

Amazing, amazing stuff by a really great guy.

I was talking to a friend of mine a couple of weeks ago about Dave Stevens and mentioned that I wish I could find an affordable copy of this book. He just happened to have an extra copy he sold to me for $40, still in the cellophane!

Great stuff.

i pre ordered the reg hardcover and love it. last year at fanfest in toronto i dealer had the diamond exclusive version for only 60 dollars so i snapped that up. now i only need the S/N version but sadly it goes for a mint.

p.s. anyone have the airboy cover 9.8 for 50 bucks?

Some people aren't concerned with census or GPA apparently:

Reynoldjay's Vanguard Illustrated #2 CGC 9.8

WOW!

RJ sure makes someone feel better about paying $36 for their CGC 9.8 - what a sport!

This is why I don't buy from him anymore. :( It's just toooo HIGH!

Hey, I respect if someone is trying to make money at this hobby. But RJ seems to boost a book quite high.

But at least when you get a book from him, it comes with a certicate to validate it came from the "BEST COLLECTION IN THE WORLD!"

lol

They are tough to find in the wild, though . . .

VI 2 is a tough book to find in high grade for some reason. Any I found are usually beat up.

I was floored when I picked up that copy from Heritage. $36 w/Buyer's Premium is low for that book.

p.s. anyone have the airboy cover 9.8 for 50 bucks?

Bonds has one he was selling. I'd check with him.

Airboy 5 CGC 9.8 for sale

for some reason a line is forming for this book. (shrug)

A. 16 page book (incredibly easy to damage, and prone to spine flaking)...

B. Black Cover Spine (all of the damage mentioned in the first part, STAND OUT)...

C. Dave Stevens Golden Age swipe (Air Fighters v2 #7)...

D. VERY few in HG... 0 in 9.6, 6 in 9.8, 1 in 9.9, 0 in 10.0 on the CGC census

There's something about the cover that adds an E. to the list of why folks want this book.

hmhmhmhm

Airboy5_98s.jpg

This book feels the same way - but I can't put my finger on it just yet.

CGCdream7.jpg

hmhm

There's something about the cover that adds an E. to the list of why folks want this book.

hmhmhmhm

Airboy5_98s.jpg

CGCdream7.jpg

hmhm

Michael Thibedeaux? A Non-de Plume?

hmhmhmhm

Airboy5_98s.jpg

CGCdream7.jpg

hmhm

and... E. Cleveland!!! :acclaim:

hmhmhmhm

Airboy5_98s.jpg

CGCdream7.jpg

hmhm

Michael Thibedeaux? A Non-de Plume?

ive thought that was stevens for a long time. he even signs his name the same way

ive thought that was stevens for a long time. he even signs his name the same way

When I had heard about there being two #5 covers (one by the regular artist, the other by Kirby/Stevens), I always assumed this cover was Stevens.

Then I got a copy years later. Trust me - this cover is better than what the two masters did together.

When I had heard about there being two #5 covers (one by the regular artist, the other by Kirby/Stevens), I always assumed this cover was Stevens.

Then I got a copy years later. Trust me - this cover is better than what the two masters did together.

Agreed! :sick:

last5x.jpg