• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
8 8

4,884 posts in this topic

On 3/9/2017 at 10:13 PM, Michael Browning said:

Here is my Dave Stevens art that I got this week: Dave Stevens unpublished Wonder Woman cover from 1991.

davestevenswonderwomanunpublishedcover.jpg

I wanted to add to this that I offered it to DC Comics as a variant cover for the current Wonder Woman series and they turned it down, saying it wasn't a very good Dave Stevens Wonder Woman. My argument is that it is STILL A DAVE STEVENS WONDER WOMAN COVER.

The reason I offered this to DC as a variant cover is that last year, when it was announced that Marvel was celebrating Captain America's 75th anniversary, I contacted Marvel and offered them my Steranko Cap commission as a variant cover and they jumped at the chance and Steranko actually offered them 11 other commissions as variant covers, eight of which have already been published (including mine). So, I thought this was a great opportunity for DC to do the same with Wonder Woman (although it wasn't much of a 75th anniversary celebration). Unfortunately, they did not agree with me. Oh well, it's DC's loss.

18 hours ago, valiantman said:

Keeping the eye candy going, even if we've seen it all before. 

1021301016_1200.jpg

Who needs Farrah Fawcett? I had this poster on my bedroom wall as a teenager in the eighties. Wish I still had it...

s-l1600.jpg

Not sure if anyone wants to pick up a piece of Dave Stevens original Rocketeer art, but there's a nice piece going up for sale in Heritage this week which is still going under the radar at the moment:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/dave-stevens-rocketeer-pin-up-original-art-1990-/a/7166-93492.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

This piece was drawn by Stevens as part of an extra video segment that was produced for the VHS release of the movie.  It was a segment that showed how he drew the Rocketeer from 1990.  I don't believe that segment was released as part of the Blue Ray unfortunately, but the image was later printed in Steven's 2nd sketchbook and then the Complete Sketches & Studies book.  It's larger than a typical page in that the image extends all the way to the edge of the 11.5" x 17" Bristol board. 

Stevens_Rocketeer_Movie.jpg

Edited by comiconxion

On 7/28/2017 at 10:48 PM, Black_Adam said:

Oh, I snuck up on this one, too (also on Comiclink).

00265172398000081162903015.jpg

Dave Stevens's stuff is great and I have a few books with his covers, but this particular one has always bothered me.  Mainly because I'm familiar with Marilyn Monroe's early history of sexual abuse as a minor going from one foster home to another.  What really did it for me was this one TV drama about her early career where they portrayed her actually getting raped in the middle of the night while in her bed - exactly like this scene on the cover.  Whether or not that exact event took place, I just couldn't look at this cover in the same way again.   

8 minutes ago, Brian48 said:

Dave Stevens's stuff is great and I have a few books with his covers, but this particular one has always bothered me.  Mainly because I'm familiar with Marilyn Monroe's early history of sexual abuse as a minor going from one foster home to another.  What really did it for me was this one TV drama about her early career where they portrayed her actually getting raped in the middle of the night while in her bed - exactly like this scene on the cover.  Whether or not that exact event took place, I just couldn't look at this cover in the same way again.   

It's probably better to look at the cover as the hero is checking her pulse and watching for breathing... he's protecting her and making sure he isn't too late.  (Conversely, he's finding out she died and trying to determine if there was foul play that he needs to catch a bad guy.)

Edited by valiantman

Hi all,

sorry I have been away so long. Been a rough year personally and physically.

as much as I hate to do it, I need to cash out some of my Stevens books.

i have one of the top registry sets so take a peak and if anything interest you please contact me. 

I will be posting the books in the next week or so if needed depending on how many I can sell to Dave collectors here.

thanks all

Since this is where most Dave Stevens lovers come to look, I thought I'd call attention to something I posted in the Original Art For Sale section - a set of 21 of Dave Stevens original prints.  If interested, send me a note to reserve.  It's rare to find this complete a collection at once!

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=185032