I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
12 12

4,633 posts in this topic

7,350 posts

I know I've posted these in this thread before, but considering that the thread is 10 years old, I'm not going to go digging.

This was the single toughest item for me to find. Slide Cards were short lived, never seemed to catch on. Most casual Dave fans aren't aware that he did this card, and most card people (if such a thing exists) who might have this card likely don't know who Dave is. eBay searches brought nothing, for many, many years.

Several years ago I bought the signed slipcased edition of Brush With Passion from Dave's estate, and they included some bonuses, including this card! I was excited to get this stupid card as I was to get that book!

They also threw in this neat xmas card from 1977 that Dave had done. Or it's a xerox of same. Anyone could mass produce these, but it's a neat curio to have.

SO, yeah, once you start searching, you'll find there's so much more out there!

IMG_2529.JPG

IMG_2528.JPG

IMG_2530.JPG

6,450 posts

I'm having trouble finding the non 3-D Seduction of the Innocent.  I don't see any on ebay and MCS does not list it.  Is it scarce?

Meanwhile, I think these are my favorite covers I own.  Lotta nice girls there...

=DS-Seduc.jpg

=DS-DNAgents24.jpg

=DS-ComJournal117.jpg

=DS-ChevalNoir7.jpg

=DS-3DZone16.jpg

=DS-Planet1.jpg

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

3,427 posts
25 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I'm having trouble finding the non 3-D Seduction of the Innocent.  I don't see any on ebay and MCS does not list it.  Is it scarce?

Meanwhile, I think these are my favorite covers I own.  Lotta nice girls there...

=DS-Seduc.jpg

I'm pretty sure Eclipse normally did a print run of 100 for the Non-3D versions of 3D books, the intent was to make them available for people who were colorblind or otherwise couldn't read the book in 3D.

6,450 posts
21 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

I'm pretty sure Eclipse normally did a print run of 100 for the Non-3D versions of 3D books, the intent was to make them available for people who were colorblind or otherwise couldn't read the book in 3D.

Oh, thanks.

721 posts
8 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Yes,it's very scarce.You had to order it and it was like five bucks each.I've only found 2 and one of them was a Hamster book.Most probably got destroyed in the flood that took out the Eclipse office.

968 posts

There is also a variant of 3-D Zone 16 that is missing the title and number at the top of the front cover.  Was this a 2nd print or sort of giveaway?

608424741_3-DZone16-2(2).thumb.jpg.38647dd676fad54d60b1437295c4d00f.jpg

721 posts
On 11/20/2020 at 12:18 PM, chevalmeow said:

There is also a variant of 3-D Zone 16 that is missing the title and number at the top of the front cover.  Was this a 2nd print or sort of giveaway?

608424741_3-DZone16-2(2).thumb.jpg.38647dd676fad54d60b1437295c4d00f.jpg

100_2392.JPG

Edited by Toz
Never mind.

3,427 posts

The art on the 21 is better known from the Iger Comics Kingdom book; the 43 is a bit less well known:

Alter Ego 21.jpg

Alter Ego 43.jpg

3,427 posts
On 11/19/2020 at 3:49 PM, OtherEric said:

I can neither confirm nor deny that I've ordered 14 books with Dave Stevens covers in the last 24 hours...

14, 16, something like that... the first ones arrived today.  The GCD credits both Hernandez and Stevens with pencils on the cover, but it could actually be just Stevens inks.  Nice cover in either case:

Bad Planet 6.jpg

Comico Christmas Special 1.jpg

Girl Crazy 1.jpg

3,427 posts

Pretty sure I already have Shadow/ Doc Savage in a box somewhere; I know I got 1 when it came out but missed 2, to my great annoyance:

Jonny_Quest_03.jpg

Shadow and Doc Savage 1.jpg

Shadow and Doc Savage 2.jpg

3,427 posts

People have panned the DV8 and Xena covers recently... but the A Scarlet Thirst cover is a classic:

DV8 1.jpg

Vampirella A Scarlet Thirst.jpg

Xena 2.jpg