• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Man # 1 Platinum Edition...

60 posts in this topic

If that's true then it's not as rare as I was lead to believe. hm

not many 9.8's compared to number submitted. Only 5% are 9.8's.

It's not rare at all. Check out the hundreds BeatStuff has been trying to sell for years. They want too much.

It IS rare in 9.8, but only because the production value was garbage. You'd think, for something that was supposed to be special, they would have ironed out the problems BEFORE printing 10,000 of them.

Maroons.

The main reason it's hard to find n 9.8 is because, unlike the regular run, the cover was printed on a very thick card stock that was easily damaged during production.

It IS rare in 9.8, but only because the production value was garbage. You'd think, for something that was supposed to be special, they would have ironed out the problems BEFORE printing 10,000 of them.

Maroons.

But why do that? They must have known that these things would sell out regardless of production values. Sucks for collectors after the fact, but Marvel got its money off these things.

The main reason it's hard to find n 9.8 is because, unlike the regular run, the cover was printed on a very thick card stock that was easily damaged during production.

Didn't I just say that....?

;)

Sorry. It was late and I was about to fall over asleep. :sorry:

Does anyone know if the UPC Gold edition is more rare than the Platinum or is it the other way around ?

Thanks,

David

In my experience the UPC Gold is less abundant than the Platinum.

The CGC census shows about 750 total Platinums and about 175 UPC Gold that have been submitted.

Does anyone know if the UPC Gold edition is more rare than the Platinum or is it the other way around ?

Thanks,

David

In my experience the UPC Gold is less abundant than the Platinum.

The CGC census shows about 750 total Platinums and about 175 UPC Gold that have been submitted.

Thanks - I thought so, however I don't see the demand for the UPC Gold ones as much as the Platinum ones. Any reason why ? I guess the standard Gold ones look nearly the same :)

Edited by Max Carnage

It's not rare at all. Check out the hundreds BeatStuff has been trying to sell for years. They want too much.

Maroons.

We now have the knowledge to 'iron' them out. :grin:

Thanks,

David

The number "10,000" has been bandied about since they were printed, but I don't think anyone knows for sure.

And, unlike the Plats which went to stores and ultimately collectors, the gold UPCs went to Wal-Marts, so survival rate is a major factor.

Maroons.

Not possible. These were printed on terrible, terrible cardboard stock, and it's very, very difficult to find a copy, any copy, that isn't split someplace along the spine. As well, the cardboard is absolutely unforgiving, and whereas with a newsprint cover, or even a Baxter cover, there was a bit of "give" and flexibility to the spine so that stress didn't always result in permanent damage along the pressure line, with cardboard, there was no such flexibility. Once you bent cardboard, it stayed bent, permanently, no matter how you might try to "iron it out."

Maroons.

But why do that? They must have known that these things would sell out regardless of production values. Sucks for collectors after the fact, but Marvel got its money off these things.

They weren't for sale. The were given out as gifts, one per store, to retailers who ordered Spiderman #1. Marvel kept about 3,000 of them (from whence the BeatStuff hoard came.)

Maroons.

Not possible. These were printed on terrible, terrible cardboard stock, and it's very, very difficult to find a copy, any copy, that isn't split someplace along the spine. As well, the cardboard is absolutely unforgiving, and whereas with a newsprint cover, or even a Baxter cover, there was a bit of "give" and flexibility to the spine so that stress didn't always result in permanent damage along the pressure line, with cardboard, there was no such flexibility. Once you bent cardboard, it stayed bent, permanently, no matter how you might try to "iron it out."

Now I know. (thumbs u

I hadn't been aware the covers were cardboard stock.

There is also a thick gloss that scuffed easily, I mean very easily, the spine feathered which means it kinda splintered and colors flaked off. Also on a good percentage of the print run there is a factory color breaking crease right in the center of the cover. Ouch :censored: