• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Man # 1 Platinum Edition...

60 posts in this topic

There is also a thick gloss that scuffed easily, I mean very easily, the spine feathered which means it kinda splintered and colors flaked off. Also on a good percentage of the print run there is a factory color breaking crease right in the center of the cover. Ouch :censored:
lol

Why did marvel change the paper stock on SM #1 for the Platinum edition?

There is also a thick gloss that scuffed easily, I mean very easily, the spine feathered which means it kinda splintered and colors flaked off. Also on a good percentage of the print run there is a factory color breaking crease right in the center of the cover. Ouch :censored:

All true.

It's just a garbage book.

Whoever decided this should be a "special" book was high.

lol

Why did marvel change the paper stock on SM #1 for the Platinum edition?

Because they were trying to be clever.

It IS rare in 9.8, but only because the production value was garbage. You'd think, for something that was supposed to be special, they would have ironed out the problems BEFORE printing 10,000 of them.

Maroons.

But why do that? They must have known that these things would sell out regardless of production values. Sucks for collectors after the fact, but Marvel got its money off these things.

They weren't for sale. The were given out as gifts, one per store, to retailers who ordered Spiderman #1. Marvel kept about 3,000 of them (from whence the BeatStuff hoard came.)

doh! I forgot

It's not rare at all. Check out the hundreds BeatStuff has been trying to sell for years. They want too much.

What kind of prices is this book going for nowadays? ???

$50-$100 raw. $120 9.4, $200 9.6, $500 9.8

DISCLAIMER: These are estimations only, and are not to be taken as exact data.

It's not rare at all. Check out the hundreds BeatStuff has been trying to sell for years. They want too much.

Thanks for the info! (thumbs u

Well, these books have definitely gone nowhere but down in price since they first came out.

I still remember being out at the SD Con after they first came out. Dealers had them all over the place with a mega price tag on them, claiming how super rare they were and how they had nowhere but up from a valuation point of view. :tonofbricks:

Thanks for the info! (thumbs u

Well, these books have definitely gone nowhere but down in price since they first came out.

I still remember being out at the SD Con after they first came out. Dealers had them all over the place with a mega price tag on them, claiming how super rare they were and how they had nowhere but up from a valuation point of view. :tonofbricks:

lol the day of new comics having an escalating value ended with ASM #36, IMO.

Does anyone know if the UPC Gold edition is more rare than the Platinum or is it the other way around ?

Thanks,

David

In my experience the UPC Gold is less abundant than the Platinum.

The CGC census shows about 750 total Platinums and about 175 UPC Gold that have been submitted.

The UPC gold had a higher print run than 10,000. But, they don't show up on the secondary market as much.

This was one of the first books where the UPC version became desired. I think most of the books bought off the shelves at retailers like Walmart ended up being read by kids and then junked. Collectors were getting their books in files at the LCS by the time Spidey 1 came out.

Are you sure about that? I thought Overstreet's lists an estimated print run on the Gold UPCs as lower than that of the Platinum. Anyone confirm?

That is correct. Here's what Overstreet says:

Gold 2nd printing w/UPC code (less than 10,000 print run)

Platinum ed. mailed to retailers (10,000 print run)

i remember around 2002-3 there still werent any 9.8s on the census because of the spine on the book and a lot of people were saying there would never be any 9.8s but they must have eased up on the grades because you see 9.8s on ebay a lot. i should send my 9.4 back to be graded again.

You're right on the money, my brother sold a CGC SS 9.8 copy for 675 like two days ago...18 bids weird enough