• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Man # 1 Platinum Edition...

60 posts in this topic

On 3/18/2011 at 5:52 PM, lou_fine said:

Thanks for the info! (thumbs u

Well, these books have definitely gone nowhere but down in price since they first came out.

I still remember being out at the SD Con after they first came out. Dealers had them all over the place with a mega price tag on them, claiming how super rare they were and how they had nowhere but up from a valuation point of view. :tonofbricks:

Now we can look 9 year later and the prices have doubled.

yes I know this is an old thread...but still a thread that’s active for reference and comment.

Was just doing a little history of the book to see how many are actually available, asking prices, and sold prices threw out the years since the 90s

Obviously not a super rare book but that should have been common knowledge to begin with as there were “1 per store”

As far as the quality of the book I actually think they look very nice with that glossy card stock and I’m not sure marvel was worried how they held up for grading purposes as they were “free giveaways” as a thank you to retailers not to mention one of the 1st of its kind.

I think this book holds some historical significance as far as 90s books go and glad to see the prices have stabilized as even a 8.0 is at about 190.00 gpa

the book goes up as time goes on at a steady pace without any artificial hype and the amount of copies available are very small compared to some other mainstream books or keys.

25-30 available copies on eBay is not an awfully lot.

Interesting to see we’re books go from decade to decade 

1 hour ago, Shoomanfoo said:

yes I know this is an old thread...but still a thread that’s active for reference and comment.

Was just doing a little history of the book to see how many are actually available, asking prices, and sold prices threw out the years since the 90s

Obviously not a super rare book but that should have been common knowledge to begin with as there were “1 per store”

As far as the quality of the book I actually think they look very nice with that glossy card stock and I’m not sure marvel was worried how they held up for grading purposes as they were “free giveaways” as a thank you to retailers not to mention one of the 1st of its kind.

I think this book holds some historical significance as far as 90s books go and glad to see the prices have stabilized as even a 8.0 is at about 190.00 gpa

the book goes up as time goes on at a steady pace without any artificial hype and the amount of copies available are very small compared to some other mainstream books or keys.

25-30 available copies on eBay is not an awfully lot.

Interesting to see we’re books go from decade to decade 

I'd still rather have a gold UPC copy.

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

I'd still rather have a gold UPC copy.

Yes I have both and I have seen the Gold upc gain value by a bigger margin past 10 years of so.

I think they both have pros and cons though both very attractive books.

Im not crazy about a usp box on a book as it’s an eye sore to me and takes away the beauty of the gold cover...but it seems to be less than the 10,000 print of the platinum.

The platinum has vibrant color and a reflective gloss that’s very attractive and was never sold to the public but given away to shop owners.

Both great and high demand books.

They don’t sell often but when one goes up for bid there’s always a lot of bidders and it always goes for “around GPA”

The books do not dip or skyrocket and are a pretty stable investment as they have proven to be sought “for gpa” and highly collectible.

On 7/19/2020 at 8:22 AM, Shoomanfoo said:
On 3/18/2011 at 2:52 PM, lou_fine said:

Thanks for the info! (thumbs u

Well, these books have definitely gone nowhere but down in price since they first came out.

I still remember being out at the SD Con after they first came out. Dealers had them all over the place with a mega price tag on them, claiming how super rare they were and how they had nowhere but up from a valuation point of view. :tonofbricks:

So, you are saying that buyers can now finally start to recoup their money after almost 30 long loooong years,............but then again, only if you happen to have a copy in CGC 9.8 graded condition. :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :tonofbricks:  :censored:

I am just so glad that I used that same money to pick up HG copies of Captain America 29 & 31 down at the SD Con instead, even though the dealers told me that I clearly made the wrong choice by turning down a "rare" McFarlane Spidey 1 that would never see $1,000 again over some books that nobody would want once all the old time collectors go to that big comic shop up in the sky.  :whee:

Edited by lou_fine

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

So, you are saying that buyers can now finally start to recoup their money after almost 30 long loooong years,............but then again, only if you happen to have a copy in CGC 9.8 graded condition. :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :tonofbricks:  :censored:

I am just so glad that I used that same money to pick up HG copies of Captain America 29 & 31 down at the SD Con instead, even though the dealers told me that I clearly made the wrong choice by turning down a "rare" McFarlane Spidey 1 that would never see $1,000 again over some books that nobody would want once all the old time collectors go to that big comic shop up in the sky.  :whee:

I can care less if you or anyone “recoups” money from a book...

I was pointing out the simple fact that it has doubled in GPA over the last 9 years.

Take that however you like 🤷🏻‍♂️

I never paid today’s prices for the book so I don’t have to recoup anything fortunately

I was just ummmmm smarter I guess

22 hours ago, Shoomanfoo said:
On 7/20/2020 at 10:55 AM, lou_fine said:

I can care less if you or anyone “recoups” money from a book...

I was pointing out the simple fact that it has doubled in GPA over the last 9 years.

Take that however you like 🤷🏻‍♂️

I always just take it as a positive if a book should happen to go up in value over time.  (thumbsu

Similar to how you pointed out the fact that the book has doubled in GPA over the last 9 years, I was just pointing out the fact that it appears that a CGC 9.8 graded copy is finally hitting the same pricing levels that dealers were trying to ask for raw copies of the books when it first came out almost 30 years ago. hm

Being a long term collector, as opposed to a speculator of day flipper of books which seems to be the trend with much of the CGC generation of collectors nowadays, it also doesn't really matter to me either since the books will still be sitting in my collection decades later, no matter if it's gone up or gone down in value.  It's just a nicer feeling if it has gone up though.  :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I always just take it as a positive if a book should happen to go up in value over time.  (thumbsu

Similar to how you pointed out the fact that the book has doubled in GPA over the last 9 years, I was just pointing out the fact that it appears that a CGC 9.8 graded copy is finally hitting the same pricing levels that dealers were trying to ask for raw copies of the books when it first came out almost 30 years ago. hm

Being a long term collector, as opposed to a speculator of day flipper of books which seems to be the trend with much of the CGC generation of collectors nowadays, it also doesn't really matter to me either since the books will still be sitting in my collection decades later, no matter if it's gone up or gone down in value.  It's just a nicer feeling if it has gone up though.  :bigsmile:

I’m not taking anything you say seriously as I’m not a newb and bought my 1st copy for 250.00 in a raw high grade...in 1995

Your saying people bought this book for 1000,00 raw when it came out??

lmaooo...you would have to be one of those dumb baseball card guys to think “1per store” was very rare.

Are you slow? Like who is that foolish. I was 19 years old and new better than that.

Just wow please stop talking 

Edited by Shoomanfoo

13 hours ago, Shoomanfoo said:

I’m not taking anything you say seriously as I’m not a newb and bought my 1st copy for 250.00 in a raw high grade...in 1995

lmaooo...you would have to be one of those dumb baseball card guys to think “1per store” was very rare.

Are you slow? Like who is that foolish. I was 19 years old and new better than that.

This.

The book was $200-$300 max when it first came out (in 1990).

Yes - that was a lot of money at the time - especially for a brand new comic.

But *nobody* was charging, let alone *paying* $1,000 for a copy.

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:
15 hours ago, Shoomanfoo said:

This.

Boy, it sure sounds like the original poster here got out of the wrong side of the bed today or doesn't know how to use the Ignore button if he doesn't like to see messages on a public message board.  (shrug)

Anyways, although the regular Spider-Man 1 book did indeed come out in 1990, the Limited Retailer Platinum Edition did not come out until 1991 and as would happen, just before the big SD Con that summer of '91.  This must have been around the start of the new comic book craze with the red hot Valiant books arriving on the scene a few months earlier and I also remember Wizard Magazine getting their first issue just out in time to hand out to all of the SD convention goers.  How can we not remember about that red hot time period to follow with all of those Wizard hyped Image and Valiant flavor of the month books that would follow and hyped to the point that they would be selling for huge multiples to cover price by the time they hit the comic book shelves before becoming forgotten ,months later as the speculators moved onto the next big red hot book.  :tonofbricks: 

In the summer of '91, McFarlane was the go to artist and the Spider-Man book was red hot and selling in the hundreds of thousands, if not a million copies by then and would pave the way for other red hot big million sellers like Jim Lee's X-Men later that year.  So, just imagine a so-called "rare" edition that was limited to just one copy per retail store and you can imagine why some of the dealers were TRYING to ask $1,000 for the book in this type of red hot hyped environment.  Like the original poster said above, they can certainly ask, but I highly doubt that anybody was foolish enough to fork over $1,000 for a book like that.  Then again, you never know as history has clearly shown us time and time again that some buyers are willing to pay outlandish and ridiculous prices for otherwise common books when they are being hyped as limited variant copies or CGC highest graded copies, so you just never really know.  hm

As further proof of what these books were probably selling for, you just need to refer to the Overstreet price guide.  As we all know full well by now, old slow Bob likes to be very very conservative with his prices and as a result, tends to lag the market until the price of a book can consolidate over time before raising the price in his guide.  Yet, if you take a look at the 1992 and 1993 price guides or the first 2 years after the book came out, the Platinum Edition of Spidey #1 was already being valued at $350 in top of guide which is a strong indication that the book was most likley selling for far more than that with a big price range during those early years when it first came out.  Needless to say, the book only continued to drift downwards in valuation over the ensuring years until it hit $100 in the 1998 price guide before it started its slow climb back up to its current $200 top of guide valuation.  :gossip:

I most definitely agree with the original poster's comment that this book is indeed not rare at all (reason why I put it in "rare" in my original post.)   This fact is clearly evident by simply looking at the CGC census where there are already 169 uber HG copies of this book grading out at the CGC 9.8 condtion level and a total of well over 1,300 copies in CGC 9.0 and above already.  As we all know, dealers love to hype their books as being rare when in fact, they truly are not.  Do we not all remember the supposedly rare Death of Superman issue or a Death in the Family Batman books which dealers were trying to ask big dollars for back when they first came out.  :facepalm:

For all of you TMNT aficionados out there, it's also interesting to note that while Overstreet had the Spidey 1 Platinum Limited edition valued at $350 when it first came out, TMNT 1 was valued at only $325 in guide the same year.  This now highly valued book would also followed the same downward drift in prices behind the Platinum Spidey 1 until it bottomed out at something like $115 near the end of the 90's  :takeit:.  Unlike the Spidey 1 which started a slow climb upwards over the ensuring years though, the TMNT 1 would see much more of a meteoric increase in prices until its current $7K top of guide valuation which definitely still seems a bit on the low side to me.  Although collectors claim that TMNT 1 is "rare", I guess it's really much more a case of rare relative to demand since there's already 32 copies graded out at the CGC 9.8 condition level and over 350 in CGC 9.0 and above.  hm

9 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

This.

Exactly. Nice to hear from someone that’s stating the actual facts...

but to some people on this thread...I’m the crazy one.

Because I don’t play nice with liars, or people on here trying to mislead others, or try to hijack my post and use it for there own trolling needs.   

Sorry not having it and you’ll be called out real fast.

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Boy, it sure sounds like the original poster here got out of the wrong side of the bed today or doesn't know how to use the Ignore button if he doesn't like to see messages on a public message board.  (shrug)

Anyways, although the regular Spider-Man 1 book did indeed come out in 1990, the Limited Retailer Platinum Edition did not come out until 1991 and as would happen, just before the big SD Con that summer of '91.  This must have been around the start of the new comic book craze with the red hot Valiant books arriving on the scene a few months earlier and I also remember Wizard Magazine getting their first issue just out in time to hand out to all of the SD convention goers.  How can we not remember about that red hot time period to follow with all of those Wizard hyped Image and Valiant flavor of the month books that would follow and hyped to the point that they would be selling for huge multiples to cover price by the time they hit the comic book shelves before becoming forgotten ,months later as the speculators moved onto the next big red hot book.  :tonofbricks: 

In the summer of '91, McFarlane was the go to artist and the Spider-Man book was red hot and selling in the hundreds of thousands, if not a million copies by then and would pave the way for other red hot big million sellers like Jim Lee's X-Men later that year.  So, just imagine a so-called "rare" edition that was limited to just one copy per retail store and you can imagine why some of the dealers were TRYING to ask $1,000 for the book in this type of red hot hyped environment.  Like the original poster said above, they can certainly ask, but I highly doubt that anybody was foolish enough to fork over $1,000 for a book like that.  Then again, you never know as history has clearly shown us time and time again that some buyers are willing to pay outlandish and ridiculous prices for otherwise common books when they are being hyped as limited variant copies or CGC highest graded copies, so you just never really know.  hm

As further proof of what these books were probably selling for, you just need to refer to the Overstreet price guide.  As we all know full well by now, old slow Bob likes to be very very conservative with his prices and as a result, tends to lag the market until the price of a book can consolidate over time before raising the price in his guide.  Yet, if you take a look at the 1992 and 1993 price guides or the first 2 years after the book came out, the Platinum Edition of Spidey #1 was already being valued at $350 in top of guide which is a strong indication that the book was most likley selling for far more than that with a big price range during those early years when it first came out.  Needless to say, the book only continued to drift downwards in valuation over the ensuring years until it hit $100 in the 1998 price guide before it started its slow climb back up to its current $200 top of guide valuation.  :gossip:

I most definitely agree with the original poster's comment that this book is indeed not rare at all (reason why I put it in "rare" in my original post.)   This fact is clearly evident by simply looking at the CGC census where there are already 169 uber HG copies of this book grading out at the CGC 9.8 condtion level and a total of well over 1,300 copies in CGC 9.0 and above already.  As we all know, dealers love to hype their books as being rare when in fact, they truly are not.  Do we not all remember the supposedly rare Death of Superman issue or a Death in the Family Batman books which dealers were trying to ask big dollars for back when they first came out.  :facepalm:

For all of you TMNT aficionados out there, it's also interesting to note that while Overstreet had the Spidey 1 Platinum Limited edition valued at $350 when it first came out, TMNT 1 was valued at only $325 in guide the same year.  This now highly valued book would also followed the same downward drift in prices behind the Platinum Spidey 1 until it bottomed out at something like $115 near the end of the 90's  :takeit:.  Unlike the Spidey 1 which started a slow climb upwards over the ensuring years though, the TMNT 1 would see much more of a meteoric increase in prices until its current $7K top of guide valuation which definitely still seems a bit on the low side to me.  Although collectors claim that TMNT 1 is "rare", I guess it's really much more a case of rare relative to demand since there's already 32 copies graded out at the CGC 9.8 condition level and over 350 in CGC 9.0 and above.  hm

Very good post and informative 

It’s interesting to see or discuss books like this. 

not just the Platinum or TMNT but other books from the 90s that almost ranked or took a sharp downturn just to mature into a fairly safe and solid investment.

Id buy these books all day for 100.00 and guess I missed those prices as I stopped following the market at the end of the 90s because of all the BS volatile books and fake hype...kinda what I see happening again.

22 hours ago, Shoomanfoo said:

It’s interesting to see or discuss books like this. 

not just the Platinum or TMNT but other books from the 90s that almost ranked or took a sharp downturn just to mature into a fairly safe and solid investment.

Most definitely as true collectors always love to talk about all of the books we collect and long for.  (thumbsu

The way that I use to judge whether a comic book is of true vintage collectible quality is that it has value in all graded levels across the entire condition spectrum.  This is in stark contrast to many of the more common and much more recent hot comic books which tends to just graded collectibles in the sense that they have value only in CGC 9.8 or CGC 9.6 graded condition levels, but no real value in any grades below that.  Like you said above, it's nice to see when more recent books like the Hulk 181's, Cerebus 1's, TMNT 1's, Platinum Spidey 1's, Bone 1's, Walking Dead 1's, etc. can attain these kinds of levels.  :applause:

When it comes to the collecting of comic books though, it's really a case of to each their own, as there is no right or wrong way of collecting as long as they are getting fun and enjoyment out of it.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Most definitely as true collectors always love to talk about all of the books we collect and long for.  (thumbsu

The way that I use to judge whether a comic book is of true vintage collectible quality is that it has value in all graded levels across the entire condition spectrum.  This is in stark contrast to many of the more common and much more recent hot comic books which tends to just graded collectibles in the sense that they have value only in CGC 9.8 or CGC 9.6 graded condition levels, but no real value in any grades below that.  Like you said above, it's nice to see when more recent books like the Hulk 181's, Cerebus 1's, TMNT 1's, Platinum Spidey 1's, Bone 1's, Walking Dead 1's, etc. can attain these kinds of levels.  :applause:

I’ve just gotten back into hard collecting and investing. Meaning silver and bronze keys and some copper modern variants such as this platinum.

Ill buy just about any book on my list that I can get for GPA or lower if lucky such as Subby 1, these platinums, Spotlight 5, Forever people, and any book I feel a potential for growth. 

Not just for resale but to collect and maybe sell later to upgrade some others books.

Yea these moderns that hold not much value outside 9.8 I steer clear unless I get a great price for quick flip