• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pooh Pooh Smell

53 posts in this topic

For discussion sake let's say I had a comic for sale and it was a no-doubt 9.2. Beautiful in every way. Nice gloss, sharp corners, just the slightest bit of handling wear, but an all around definite 9.2 structurally. But somewhere along the way this book was stored next to a large steaming pile of feces and the smell was absorbed into the paper. This beautiful book acquired such a stench that even lifting a flap on the bag caused serious watering of the eyes.

Does this book get down-graded for the odor?

Buy a pro-clean at Classics Inc ...

or pick two beaters from the collection with which you seal your nostrils ...

Next question

But does it get downgraded?

If I saw yes would you sell whatever book it is to me for 10.00 plus shipping so I can have a wiff?

For discussion sake let's say I had a comic for sale and it was a no-doubt 9.2. Beautiful in every way. Nice gloss, sharp corners, just the slightest bit of handling wear, but an all around definite 9.2 structurally. But somewhere along the way this book was stored next to a large steaming pile of feces and the smell was absorbed into the paper. This beautiful book acquired such a stench that even lifting a flap on the bag caused serious watering of the eyes.

Next question

If you parfumed it with rose-spray odour :cloud9:

Then it wouldnt get a bump ...

So its the same the other way around (with Pooh Pooh) (thumbs u

Smells aint a part of the cgc equation Im afraid (thumbs u

LOOKS are

Love it when a years old thread gets resurrected for no good reason. Regarding smell, nothing is worse than tobacco smell on a comic. It also contaminates everything around it. Serious question, does the CGC slab contain any odors ?

The smell of a comic can provide clues regarding the decomposition of the paper inside. Overtime, the breakdown of cellulose and lignin found in paper adds to the mix of volatile compounds (VOCs) present since the day of manufacture. A book's smell largely depends on the VOCs released from paper and the mix of adhesives and ink used during the printing process. Benzaldehyde, for example, has an almond smell. Vanillin produces a vanilla-like odor. Books can also smell sweet or bitter like vinegar.

And yes, I've smelled books that gave off a strong doo-doo smell. Matter of fact, if I close my eyes, it's pretty easy to recall the stink. Comics don't pick up that kind of smell sitting by the toilet. Assuming the absence of actual feces on the paper, the smell can be attributed to the VOCs released during the decomposition process.

It's also important to note here that the index section of the Overstreet Guide to Grading Comics notes a "pickle smell" a "mothball smell" and a "vinegar smell" and provides the following details.

PICKLE SMELL - the odor of acetic acid, often associated with browning and/or brittle paper.

MOTHBALL SMELL - some comics from specific collections can be identified by this characteristic odor, which infuses some comics because of their storage with moth balls.

VINEGAR SMELL - the smell of acetic acid in newsprint that is deteriorating.

Now, there isn't a POOP SMELL listed, but I can guarantee what you are smelling is a mix of various compounds associated with the slow decomposition of inks, glues, and paper used to manufacture your comic.

SMELL MATTERS! It can give you clues about the state of the paper in a comic. In fact, there was one third-party grading company (can't recall which) that listed the odor of the book on the label!

What can be done to remove the odor? The cat litter trick is fine. You could also try an ozone machine. Even though it is designed to trap some of the VOCs, I don't think microchamber paper would remove the odor.

Or you could just sell the book as is. After all, does anyone actually open and read their comics anymore? :/

5 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Love it when a years old thread gets resurrected for no good reason. Regarding smell, nothing is worse than tobacco smell on a comic. It also contaminates everything around it. Serious question, does the CGC slab contain any odors ?

Oh, I think there's worse, alright.  Ever seen up close and personal vintage comics that were stored for decades right next to a kerosene burner in the basement?

6 hours ago, namisgr said:

Oh, I think there's worse, alright.  Ever seen up close and personal vintage comics that were stored for decades right next to a kerosene burner in the basement?

there's a Roy joke in there....

On 6/19/2010 at 5:00 PM, MrBedrock said:
Angelius Silesius said:
  MrBedrock said:

Next question

I've had either "odor" or "strong odor" on a comic's graders notes.

It's probably a challenge to stay objective when a comic is assaulting your senses like that. Also, the watering eyes might make seeing the comic in detail harder. Maybe there's a "stinky and gross comic" storage/grading room involving some sort of hazmat suit. :nyah: