• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RAP SHEET - Comic Books And The Law
4 4

71 posts in this topic

when you think of the comics code authority, the one name & face that comes to mind is dr frederic wertham but here's some real names & faces associated with the comics code authority.

the first code czar was charles murphy. (new york times 12/29/54)

the changes made to that horror comic really defeats the purpose of a horror comic to be scary.

nyt12-29-54.jpg

nyt12-29-54a.jpgnyt12-29-54b.jpgnyt12-29-54c.jpg

one ec story that was initially not approved by the comics code authority reveals much about the people running the cca. read the story "judgment day" and the source of this excerpt here .

Gaines waged a number of battles with the Comics Code Authority in an attempt to keep his magazines free from censorship. In one particular example noted by comics historian Digby Diehl, Gaines threatened Judge Charles Murphy, the Comics Code Administrator, with a lawsuit when Murphy ordered EC to alter the science-fiction story “Judgment Day.” The story depicted a human astronaut visiting a planet inhabited by robots as a representative of the Galactic Republic. He finds the robots divided into functionally identical orange and blue races, one of which has fewer rights and privileges than the other. The astronaut decides that due to the robots’ bigotry, the Galactic Republic should not admit the planet. In the final panel, he removes his helmet, revealing himself to be a black man. Murphy demanded, without any authority in the Code, that the black astronaut had to be removed. As Diehl recounted in Tales from the Crypt: The Official Archives:

This really made ‘em go bananas in the Code czar’s office. ‘Judge Murphy was off his nut. He was really out to get us’, recalls [EC editor] Feldstein. ‘I went in there with this story and Murphy says, “It can’t be a Black man”. But … but that’s the whole point of the story!’ Feldstein sputtered. When Murphy continued to insist that the Black man had to go, Feldstein put it on the line. ‘Listen’, he told Murphy, ‘you’ve been riding us and making it impossible to put out anything at all because you guys just want us out of business’. [Feldstein] reported the results of his audience with the czar to Gaines, who was furious [and] immediately picked up the phone and called Murphy. ‘This is ridiculous!’ he bellowed. ‘I’m going to call a press conference on this. You have no grounds, no basis, to do this. I’ll sue you’. Murphy made what he surely thought was a gracious concession. ‘All right. Just take off the beads of sweat’. At that, Gaines and Feldstein both went ballistic. ‘#@*% you!’ they shouted into the telephone in unison. Murphy hung up on them, but the story ran in its original form.

the second comic code administrator was mrs guy percy trulock (ny times 9/15/56).

nyt9-15-56.jpg

the next code administrator was leonard darvin. here's an article from a 1969 issue of alter ego.

ccaalterego1969.jpg

ccaalterego2a.jpg

charles murphy, code administrator of comics magazine association, holding pages of approved comics (sept 54).

there's mighty mouse, archie, chip & dale and nancy & sluggo pages.

charlesmurphy.jpg

some comics code stickers.

Vintage-CCA-Sticker-Large-Front-Back-72dpi-441x500.jpg

Vintage-CCA-Sticker-Small-Front-Back-72dpi-499x467.jpg

a comic code brochure when mrs guy percy trulock was in charge.

Comics-Code-Brochure-01-72dpi.jpg

Comics-Code-Brochure-06-72dpi.jpg

Vintage-Comics-Code-Brochure-05-72dpi.jpg

the actual comics code.

Comics-Code-Brochure-04-72dpi.jpg

What a bunch of great pics! Where did you get all these? Thanks for posting them!

you're welcome. more stuff is being digitized and put online so most of the pics are from multi-level web searches and occasionally you find nuggets like these pics.

You are the king of turning up vintage comic-related pics. :headbang:
If nominated, I will not run; if elected, I will not serve. -William Tecumseh Sherman

i believe there is a king already. :D

I attended a fantastic Nostalgia Convention today with numerous tv stars from the 50s and 60s. While most of the dealers had movie/tv memorabilia (and I purchased some really cool espionage lobby cards and posters, comic book related lobby cards and original stills from A Night to Remember, which was about the Titanic), I was delighted to find this item below!!!

Given the text on the sign I would say it is from 1955-56 just after the Comic Code Association started operations (if someone knows differently let me know!) and this was a promotional effort to really push the Code and the "new and improved" comics.

DSCN1715.jpg

DSCN1719.jpg

DSCN1717.jpg

And as it properly should be - filled with vintage ten cent comics!!!!

DSCN1723.jpg

DSCN1725.jpgDSCN1724.jpg

DSCN1715.jpg

I love the spinner rack, Mark. :applause:

I saw an identical one in a dealer's booth at an antique mall in Pennsylvania many years ago. I tried to buy it but the dealer refused to sell it. He said he wanted it to display ephemera he had for sale. :pullhair:

I saw an identical one in a dealer's booth at an antique mall in Pennsylvania many years ago. I tried to buy it but the dealer refused to sell it. He said he wanted it to display ephemera he had for sale. :pullhair:

lol , BZ it might have been the same one! The guy I bought it from purchased it earlier this week from an antique store in PA! ;)

What a bunch of great pics! Where did you get all these? Thanks for posting them!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_Web

The Deep Web (also called Deepnet, the invisible Web, DarkNet, Undernet, or the hidden Web) refers to World Wide Web content that is not part of the Surface Web, which is indexed by standard search engines.

Mike Bergman, credited with coining the phrase, has said that searching on the Internet today can be compared to dragging a net across the surface of the ocean: a great deal may be caught in the net, but there is a wealth of information that is deep and therefore missed. Most of the Web's information is buried far down on dynamically generated sites, and standard search engines do not find it. Traditional search engines cannot "see" or retrieve content in the deep Web – those pages do not exist until they are created dynamically as the result of a specific search. The deep Web is several orders of magnitude larger than the surface Web.

And thanks for your research and posting. Great job.

DSCN2412.jpg

DSCN2413.jpg

Interesting piece. It is focused strictly on crime. Were there other editions that handled horror and sex?

It actually reprints the whole code I believe. I only took a picture of the one interior page to give you guys a sense of the contents. I thought you would all figure that out. :baiting:

DSCN2412.jpg

DSCN2413.jpg

Interesting piece. It is focused strictly on crime. Were there other editions that handled horror and sex?

It actually reprints the whole code I believe. I only took a picture of the one interior page to give you guys a sense of the contents. I thought you would all figure that out. :baiting:

Apparently not all of us :sorry:

DSCN2412.jpg

DSCN2413.jpg

Apparently not all of us :sorry:

We should consider banishing you to the General Section. ;)