• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alex Schomburg lithos
3 3

36 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Which signed/numbered lithos do you own?  hm

The ones he posted pictures of? :baiting:

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

The ones he posted pictures of? :baiting:

Richard, your eyesight must be much better than mine if you can read those penciled Ltd. Ed. print numbers from an iPhone shot.    (worship)

I can just barely make out Alex’s signature after a pint of bitters... ;)

Jack_Horner_Pub_London_2.jpg

Edited by Cat-Man_America

1 hour ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Richard, your eyesight must be much better than mine if you can read those penciled Ltd. Ed. print numbers from an iPhone shot.    (worship)

I can just barely make out Alex’s signature after a pint of bitters... ;)

Jack_Horner_Pub_London_2.jpg

I figured you had chugged so much you couldn't even make out the pictures.

I just picked up a Cap #37 signed litho last night on EBay. I have no idea what they are currently going for (other than what I paid) but I was totally thrilled to find one and really don’t care if I overpaid as this piece isn’t going anywhere.  #120/150. This is going to look totally awesome framed and matted. 

Scott

Before acquiring the original I owned one of the signed/numbered lithos of Marvel Mystery #66.

Professionally framed, #48 sold at a convention in Oklahoma five or six years ago...

edited-image_zpssyztffta.jpg

Still wondering what happened to the other two Schomburg originals.  All three are superb recreations.

48 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Before acquiring the original I owned one of the signed/numbered lithos of Marvel Mystery #66.

Professionally framed, #48 sold at a convention in Oklahoma five or six years ago...

edited-image_zpssyztffta.jpg

Still wondering what happened to the other two Schomburg originals.  All three are superb recreations.

The cert of auth says that the art in the unsigned lithos was different from the art in the signed lithos. Is that accurate?

21 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

The cert of auth says that the art in the unsigned lithos was different from the art in the signed lithos. Is that accurate?

The art isn’t different per se, but if I’m not mistaken the poster quality isn’t printed on heavier bonded artist quality stock, and of course the art prints are signed and numbered. Those are the main differences.  I have no idea what the size run of the unsigned poster was, perhaps around 500 would be my best guess.  Sadly, the signed lithographic print I used to own and later sold hadn’t been stored well.  It had noticeably faded, not terribly so, but enough that the colors weren’t nearly as deep as the original run, but after I had it professionally framed, under plexiglass it looked very cool.  That said, the original looks absolutely three dimensional as indicated in this HA scan; Alex's gouache color and contrast is a thing of beauty to behold...

C6BFB978-333F-4C78-9D62-E57C507D7668.jpeg.26b5733d6219f0c2fe337285badd8cf5.jpeg

I’d love to track down and purchase the other two originals to go along side Alex’s MM #66 recreation.  My suspicion is that these are probably centerpieces in one or more private collection(s).  The owner(s) probably wouldn’t part with either of those classic paintings for under six figures.  Buccaneer Graphics selected three of Alex’s best recreations for this effort.

Edited by Cat-Man_America

On 9/23/2019 at 8:59 PM, scottde said:

Here’s mine back from framing.  Got to love how it turned out.

CF1A104A-9C41-440D-B9F6-54F257FAFF71.jpeg

beautiful.  I just picked one up... trying to decide what frame option - how does the framer avoid damaging the print?  I've had t-shirts (Grateful Dead vintage) framed before and they were attached with what appears to be very small white string... do NOT want the litho/print damaged so soliciting opinions.  Thanks.  The Print in the collage I attached is a stock photo of the print and my 2 copies of Cap 37...... ComicConnect did not have a picture of the one I purchased (#89).  Appreciate any input the community can provide re: framing methods/styles.

CAP 37 Spread.JPG

On 1/12/2024 at 12:51 PM, RaleighComicBookCollector said:

beautiful.  I just picked one up... trying to decide what frame option - how does the framer avoid damaging the print?  I've had t-shirts (Grateful Dead vintage) framed before and they were attached with what appears to be very small white string... do NOT want the litho/print damaged so soliciting opinions.  Thanks.  The Print in the collage I attached is a stock photo of the print and my 2 copies of Cap 37...... ComicConnect did not have a picture of the one I purchased (#89).  Appreciate any input the community can provide re: framing methods/styles.

CAP 37 Spread.JPG

Let a pro give you some options to choose from. The variations could be many. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu