• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What kind of collector are you?
1 1

26 posts in this topic

What drives you to collect?

Love this hobby and have a compulsive personality.

Do you love the medium and just can't get enough of comic art originals?

Love the medium!!!! Can't get enough of comic art I love and comics I love to read!

Are you a "Prestige" collector and only looking to pick up some top pieces?

No, but it would be nice to have that kind of $ to spend on art.

Are you really just a comic book collector that ran out of stuff to get and this seems the next logical step?

Got into it because I was starting CGC and, because I was letting go of my comic collection, so that people would know I was being impartial when grading books, I still wanted to collect something in our medium. Ruben, you were there, at the begining, and helped me quite a bit. I still love comic books (can't go a day with out reading one!), but I love framing great looking pieces and being able to see them around the house and on CAF.

Are you interested because of the money aspect and if you're going to invest money, it might as well be something fun you're interested in.

I always hope that what I buy will be worth the same or more than I paid for it, but $ does not drive my collecting habit.

Are you a full time collector just dabbling?

Full time, but I can only buy a couple of pieces a year.

What category would you put yourself in? Do you think it's the same category others would put you in?

Don't know and don't much care what others think. Probably small collector.

In my continuing quest resurrecting very interesting but dead threads I'm getting a kick out of reading:

As with many here - nostalgia is a huge factor.  I managed to track down and buy the covers to the first two comics I ever owned; one artist i am a passionate fan of, the other, I don't follow at all.  Yet being able to see and hold the OA for both of those covers is thrilling.

I love the medium, that's for sure.  I go though phases where I am obsessed and just need to chill.  Other times - for years - I barely think about it.

Once, maybe.  And then prices just kept climbing and climbing to the point where it felt unreal.  When covers crossed the 100-200k threshold, and stuff I remember seeing under 10k was routinely 30-50k, well...  Time to re-evaluate the hobby.

Are you really just a comic book collector that ran out of stuff to get and this seems the next logical step?

No - I encountered OA very early in life by chance.  I read a quote somewhere, by someone, that's always stuck with me (forgive me if I butcher it): "A picture of the mouse is a picture of the mouse.  But a drawing of the mouse - that is the mouse."   Very much how I feel.  You can have a 9.8 slab copy of GSXM #1, for example, but if you own a page those characters are on, you possess that moment; you are the caretaker for that moment!

Are you interested because of the money aspect and if you're going to invest money, it might as well be something fun you're interested in.

Not especially.  I think it's been more of a problem.  I think David Mandel was saying in a podcast something about it was a fun pastime - you could collect these really neat slices of history, but then the money thing happened and really changed all that (sorry if I butchered his meaning).  I really miss being able to maybe own a piece that really, really means something to you.  I'm not a McSpidey fan at all, but I do feel bad for those who love his work, and have a connect to it, because a lot of those people will probably just never be able to afford a great page or cover.

All depends.  Right now I'm definitely in the collecting mode.  Next year, who knows.

What category would you put yourself in? Do you think it's the same category others would put you in?

People who know me know I'm interested in it, but I don't know...

Re: What drives you to collect? 

While I concentrate on artists and the characters that I strongly associate with them, nostalgia is only part of my interest. I collect art from modern books as well.

Re: Do you love the medium and just can't get enough of comic art originals?

I like images that tell a story. At a fundamental level, I enjoy storytelling and I really enjoy the mix of words and art working together.

Re: Are you a "Prestige" collector and only looking to pick up some top pieces?

Nope. I buy lots of stuff others wouldn't even want, but which makes me happy. OTOH, I wouldn't turn down "top" pieces for cheap. :) 

Re: Are you really just a comic book collector that ran out of stuff to get and this seems the next logical step?

I am a comic book collector and I have a long current pull list. If anything, new comics inform my art purchases.

Re: Are you interested because of the money aspect and if you're going to invest money, it might as well be something fun you're interested in.

I put the money I spend on comic art in the entertainment (money to burn) category.

Re: Are you a full time collector just dabbling?

I'm a full-time employee of my company and a full-time dad, I'm not a full-time comic or comic art collector.

Re: What category would you put yourself in? Do you think it's the same category others would put you in?

What are the categories?

On 6/25/2010 at 0:53 AM, delekkerste said:

"What drives you to collect?"

I also think that it's natural for collectors to run into the law of diminishing utility - I certainly experienced that in comics, where the acquisition of my 300th slabbed comic gave me very little incremental joy compared to my first, and led me to eventually give up that hobby entirely. I still enjoy getting new art, but that is because I am now very selective and only buy things that will enhance my collection and my enjoyment thereof. If I was on the prowl for new art all the time and just collecting for collecting's sake, I don't think I would be enjoying life, let alone collecting, very much.

"Are you a full time collector or just dabbling?"

I was a full time collector for a while, but now I'm just adding incremental pieces when the opportunities arise. Something really needs to grab me and the prices have to make sense for me to pursue something these days. 

LOL...I finally reached the stage last year that I thought I was in back in 2010.  Shortly after making that post, I pivoted and expanded my collecting focus well beyond what I had been collecting up to that point, so that opened up the runway for another 5-6 years of constant art accumulation.  Though, by early 2016, I had largely exhausted my new collecting goals as well, and so now I truly have become very content with my collection and am/have been very selective about further acquisitions. 

Edited by delekkerste

My idea was to buy OA with Marvel and DC superheroes to represent series I didn't already collect as CGC comic books. It's  the best of both worlds hm :wink: I love OA and would like to inspire my sons by showing them some true art. My sons were ages 2, 6 and 10 when I started annoying my wife by decorating walls in my man cave and in the kids' gaming room with comic art. 

I love the medium, but I don't love all pieces. It has to be love at first - or second -  sight. I might go through a 1000 pieces and find 1 or 2 pieces I really care about. But that's a good thing and helps me focus. 

You got me baffled here - all my pieces are top pieces :baiting:lol Well, maybe not to other collectors :tonofbricks: but as I wrote - I only buy love at first sight (no pun intended (tsk)). I mostly buy covers, often I don't know the books or stories behind a cover before I buy it. I mostly judge my covers on their own merits, you know - as people say "never judge a cover by its book" :grin: I try not to buy out of nostalgia, and often I prefer modern pieces which may be more energetic and emotionally engaging than older covers - possibly because modern books are directed at an older audience. I don't like comic art that looks like it was made for children, maybe modern art with an edge sums up my interests... Mostly...

No, I still collect books too :acclaim:I think it's ok not having to decide to eat strawberry or chocolate cake when you can have both :idea: Furthermore I like that OA is one of a kind - that all pieces are the single highest graded - and price might not go down, because Census is never increasing :whee: 

I'll get back to that in 30 years - oh, well, the kids will probably get everything or it'll be part of my Viking burial :cloud9: (=my stuff and corpse in a boat, then all is set on fire :flamed:)

Maybe something inbetween  hm

Edited by Rune

On 6/23/2010 at 4:49 PM, Brian Peck said:

I am an avid collector of comic art. When I started out 24 years ago I was very focused, started out concentrating on one character I read growing up. As time went on I was able to get a good amount of what I was after for the character and started expanding and adding comics I read growing up from silver age to 80's and some early 90s. Most of my collection is driven by nostolgia either a particular comic book issue/story or art by a specific artist.

I loved Spy vs Spy growing up drawn by Antonio Prohas. I love collecting his art, no specific gag I am looking for just ones that are funny. Though I am not intersted in any of the artists who came after him as he is THE Spy vs Spy art.

I have in the last 8 years started to collect art that I never read like golden age or just because I like the art. I started in the last year collecting Rock and Rokk related art of such groups as Black Crowes, Pink Floyd and Rolling Stones. Its amazing the amount of art out there, I get surprised by what I find every year.

I'm a big Spy vs Spy fan too!

spyvsspyart_zps6wrwakhv.jpg