• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TTA 27 club
5 5

369 posts in this topic

Here is a frankenbook copy I picked up in August. It was raw, and I was shocked at how much amateurish restoration work had been done to the book. A lot of it seemed unnecessary, and I have never seen a book with so much noticeable resto in my time as a collector. At least it is signed by Stan Lee, I guess.

1059772607_cgcTalestoAstonish27Arestored.thumb.jpg.c86130fa61cfe56b170261c08482df8e.jpg

On 10/26/2017 at 9:27 AM, KirbyJack said:

OK!

When I got back into comics, I was Fantastic Four only. No interest in anything else whatsoever. I passed on a LOT of incredible books, like a VF Detective 168, a VG Showcase 4, Action 23 in Fine, a F+ copy of Spidey 1, etc. My Astonish 27 was almost another pass. It was on the wall at Bob's for weeks, because he wanted a ton for it, and Bob was adamant in his $75 price. He talked me into it by linking it with FF 1 and 2, the only other Marvel Age 10 cent hero books (well played, Bob! Know your clientele!).

After I got it home, I started really thinking about the Marvel Universe. I bought my first Overstreet, I had a 'key" book, I had spent more than $25, and my floodgates were opened. I was now collecting the entire SA Marvel line. Without my Tales To Astonish #27, I might never have looked up from my FFs.

Love this story....reminds of a story my dad told me a hundred times...

He had a FF #1 back in the 80's....and always went to the same comic shop to buy comics weekly.

He told me he bought and lost his FF 1 probably 30 times...

whenever my dad needed fast cash from something, He would take his FF1 up to the comic shop, and The owner would loan him 100$ on it...He had 2 weeks to pay him back before he put it back up on the wall for sale....My dad said he did it probably 30 times...always went back a got it before it went up on the wall...

Like you with The TTA 27 being 75$....

I too was amazed that a FF1 could be bought for 100 dollars in the 80's...but my dad said it was completely normal...

He ran a Body Shop and Car Lot in the 70s and 80s....So people were always coming in with tools and car parts he wanted, If someone came in with something he wanted and he didnt have the money right then, He just run the FF1 down to the Comic shop and get a loan...

That’s so cool!

The same comic dealer would offer a similar service to his better customers. Except that if you couldn’t pay back in two weeks, it sometimes turned to 3, then 4...not a moneymaker for him!

Thankfully, I never personally had to go that route.

Anyone know why theres no "Tales Of Suspense Collection Thread" or "Tales To Astonish Club" threads..

I just went about 10 pages back in the history and there are  Threads for damn near every major title that are almost 11 years old...

but no TTA or TOS collection threads...

IMO TTA and TOS deserves threads

10 hours ago, billbrown7080 said:

Anyone know why theres no "Tales Of Suspense Collection Thread" or "Tales To Astonish Club" threads..

I just went about 10 pages back in the history and there are  Threads for damn near every major title that are almost 11 years old...

but no TTA or TOS collection threads...

IMO TTA and TOS deserves threads

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/39769-tales-to-astonish-appreciation-thread/

Not a great pic but I will dig it out this weekend for a better one. I sold this to a friend in the late 90s when I was going strong after Timelys and bought it back 20 years later, almost EXACTLY, to the month even. He managed to knock the cover loose from the interior (it was attached but worn when I sold it to him), so I slabbed it after thumbing it up for a while. It came back blue 2.0.

TTA 27 raw.png