• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TTA 27 club
5 5

369 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Hey, it's got it's problems, but it also has some nice parts.  The spine is actually very nice and NO marvel chipping.

Do you suppose there's a way to get rid of those rust stains?

I'm certainly going to try to find out when I replenish some funds. I don't know at this point. Any experts want to weigh in?

4 minutes ago, sassemble said:

I'm certainly going to try to find out when I replenish some funds. I don't know at this point. Any experts want to weigh in?

Does the rust go thru to the inside of the cover?  If it's just surface rust you might be able to carefully scrape it off with an x-acto knife.  Be very gentile, and if it doesn't seem to work just stop, don't take any chances.  I've had surface rust on a couple comics before  and was able to clean it up nicely with some careful scraping.  You never want to scrape "color" off of the cover... just rust.

4.5 off-white pages.  I'm very happy.  There are two large color breaking creases on the cover.  Without those this book would be even better.  Still a great book to have in any grade.  My 35 is getting graded now.  I feel like you can't have 1 without the other.

Edited by Sludgesicle Man

3 hours ago, Sludgesicle Man said:

4.5 off-white pages.  I'm very happy.  There are two large color breaking creases on the cover.  Without those this book would be even better.  Still a great book to have in any grade.  My 35 is getting graded now.  I feel like you can't have 1 without the other.

Its awesome, congrats. Cant wait to see your #35 as well.

OK!

When I got back into comics, I was Fantastic Four only. No interest in anything else whatsoever. I passed on a LOT of incredible books, like a VF Detective 168, a VG Showcase 4, Action 23 in Fine, a F+ copy of Spidey 1, etc. My Astonish 27 was almost another pass. It was on the wall at Bob's for weeks, because he wanted a ton for it, and Bob was adamant in his $75 price. He talked me into it by linking it with FF 1 and 2, the only other Marvel Age 10 cent hero books (well played, Bob! Know your clientele!).

After I got it home, I started really thinking about the Marvel Universe. I bought my first Overstreet, I had a 'key" book, I had spent more than $25, and my floodgates were opened. I was now collecting the entire SA Marvel line. Without my Tales To Astonish #27, I might never have looked up from my FFs.

Crossed over to the dark side and knowingly bought a "restored" comic (though I did buy a trimmed Startling a little while ago).   Was impatient for a relatively inexpensive copy, and from what I could tell this copy had binder holes that someone filled in and painted in slightly off-color (you should see the back, they used a ballpoint pen to poorly color in a blue piece).  pgx gave it a 7.5, heh. Plan to crack it out, probably pop out the holes, and have myself a 4.0 copy if that's the only restoration. 

I know, it's a total krapshoot, really, but it's all mine (at least, once they mail it, and assuming it gets here). 

NOTE: does anyone know if 3/15 was that month they were doing honest work over at pgx?

c.thumb.jpg.3f83384cbd2f5346fdcfe53f11730e05.jpg

Already got this one 10 years ago, so I've completed the pair of ant mans, yay.

CCI11172017.thumb.jpg.0ea11cfa7ad8a520d788b7edd39ce08a.jpg

19k and change for an 8.0 in this latest HA auction. I love this book.:ohnoez:  I lucked into a 7.5 at Terry's Yorba Linda Con 2 years ago. Kinda like with my HOS 92 that I lucked into. I just loved the books and got 'em and the prices skyrocketed. :whee: 

No smarts on my part were involved. I believe these two comic purchases are the only ones I've ever come out ahead on (investment-wise).  Loved the books, got 'em, prices went up. And it's only if I sell them now would I make something. Since I love 'em I'm keeper' them so prices are sure to tumble. 

Edited by NoMan