• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Golden Age of Comic Strip Reprints

131 posts in this topic

I was looking into Gasoline Alley but am not real familiar with it. On Amazon they show Walt and Skeezix volumes 1-4 (400 pages each) by Drawn and Quarterly. Are these the best books to get for reading Gasoline Alley?

I would also like to try Terry and the Pirates. Is there a recommended jumping on point or should I just start at the beginning?

The beginning is fine for Terry & the Pirates but not a necessity. I sold my complete NBM set for a pitance on eBay, far less than what I paid for so I could switch to the new edition / collection and I find that the new edition format is more of a pain to read :cry: If you're not particular, the NBM '80's edition is now dirt cheap so you could pick up a volume or two to sample the strip. I know I've seen them around for $3 a piece. The total set is 22 volumes (?) IIRC.

As for Gasoline Alley, you HAVE to read it in order as the characters innovatively are aging in real time early in the strip so that from 1921 to 1926, Skeezix goes from infant / baby to toddler to little boy. That's different than other strips. One book I do not own but will pick up eventually is the collected color Sundays: Oh So Many Splendid Sundays is the title of the collection (off-hand). The art on display there is just tremendous ... but the format is daunting though not as crazy as the collected Nemo. Plus, I believe the prices on the Sunday collection have come down. What I don't know is how much if any continuity there is in those Sundays. I believe AStrange has the Sundays book so he should be able to answer that.

One book I do not own but will pick up eventually is the collected color Sundays: Oh So Many Splendid Sundays is the title of the collection (off-hand).
I saw the Sunday book on sale for $40, which is a tragedy given how spectacular it is. I'm pretty sure it was Bud Plant that had it on sale but in checking back today it shows as sold out on their site.

The Sundays do not have continuity but are more slice of life vignettes. Even at full price I felt I got more than my money's worth, especially with all of the biographical material and the brilliant design of the book by Chris Ware. The two editions of Little Nemo by the same company (which are produced at the same large size as the Gasoline Alley Book) are also "must haves" as far as I'm concerned.

I picked up the Bringing Up Father national tour sequence book and, while I've just skimmed it, it's gorgeous.

Frazetta's Johnny Comet is not well-served as too much was shot from newspaper strips and, having seen some originals, it frustrates me to read it.

I have the complete Valiant by Fantagraphics but I echo the comments about the coloring and quality of reproduction. I'm purchasing the volumes as they come out and loaning them to my nieces and nephews.

Has the Cisco Kid been reprinted?

Thanks for sharing these! (thumbs u

Blondie10-14-302.jpg

The Sundays do not have continuity but are more slice of life vignettes.

Thanks for chiming in. :thumbsup:

I picked up the Bringing Up Father national tour sequence book and, while I've just skimmed it, it's gorgeous.

On my pile to read. McManus's art is deceptively simple. His attention to details is important.

Frazetta's Johnny Comet is not well-served as too much was shot from newspaper strips and, having seen some originals, it frustrates me to read it.

I already have one collection of it but saw a new one coming out. I don't think I'll pick up the new version.

Has the Cisco Kid been reprinted?

It's in process and Charles Pelto will probably solicit it in Spring 2011. In the meantime, he is forging ahead with Big Ben Bolt by Cullen Murphy ... but I won't jump on board of that one, neither did I on the failed Dondi line.

Thanks Scrooge and Adamstrange. Are the books titled Walt and Skeezix the ones I should get or is there one called Gasoline Alley? I keep getting "Walt and Skeezix" when I search for "Gasoline Alley".

http://budsartbooks.com/prod.cfm/pc/SNDH/cid/38

Thanks Scrooge and Adamstrange. Are the books titled Walt and Skeezix the ones I should get or is there one called Gasoline Alley? I keep getting "Walt and Skeezix" when I search for "Gasoline Alley".

http://budsartbooks.com/prod.cfm/pc/SNDH/cid/38

Thanks. I'm probably one of the few people on these boards never to have ordered from Bud Plant but I will order a few books from him tonight.

I have an old Johnny Comet from Eclipse Books that I was referring to.

That's great news on Cisco as I love the art by Salinas.

There's a decent edition of Feiniger's Kinder Kids but I would love to see his work get the first class treatment of Foster or McKay. http://budsartbooks.com/prod.cfm/pc/LFCOMART/cid/38

Can anyone comment on this large size Krazy Kat? http://budsartbooks.com/prod.cfm/pc/KKCEH/cid/0

Hopefully Vanguard will be an improvement. If they were able to shoot predominately from OA then I'm very interested.

I think the IDW series is great. I especially like the way that the Sunday is integrated into the sequence in the LOA books, as it is a integral part of the story. The next LOA will have the introduction of Punjab and the Eli Eon sequence, which I think was one of the great story lines in the history of the comic (the other one being the Great Am) and appears to me to be as relevant today as it was 75 years ago.

The Hermes Buck Rogers books are great, and are shot from the original art. In addition, Hermes has a few of the leading BR collectors helping fill in any gaps. The only problem with the books is that they always have one publication delay after another.

Finally, the new Prince Valiant series is wonderful. Oversized, great color, nice paper, and so much better than the paperback series.

Rich

I'm very much looking forward to the new Archie newspaper strip books :)

As an Archie completist, it's always been hard to know that there were many thousands of Bob Montana strips that I would likely never be able to read.

Thought this was the best forum to have a continued (?) discussion of what I consider to be the Golden Age of Comic Strip Reprints.

It is indeed a Golden Age of Comic Strip and Comic Book reprints.

Also of note are:

Popeye series from Fantagraphics

Little Sammy Sneeze by Winsor McKay from Sunday Press. Great hardcover collection of rare McKay strips.

Complete Dreams Of The Rarebit Fiend, also by McKay, from Ulrich Merkl. An amazing hardcover book - expensive, but the best collection of one of the best strips ever.

Thought this was the best forum to have a continued (?) discussion of what I consider to be the Golden Age of Comic Strip Reprints.

It is indeed a Golden Age of Comic Strip and Comic Book reprints.

Also of note are:

Popeye series from Fantagraphics

Little Sammy Sneeze by Winsor McKay from Sunday Press. Great hardcover collection of rare McKay strips.

Complete Dreams Of The Rarebit Fiend, also by McKay, from Ulrich Merkl. An amazing hardcover book - expensive, but the best collection of one of the best strips ever.

Ditto the Popeye books. The Sundays are okay, some good stuff there, but the dailys, oh, the dailys!

Rock solid adventure, incredible continuity, Elsie Segar doing fantastic art, all mixed with laugh-out-loud humor. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED